Fibromyalgia Information and Advice

Discuss health and harmony of the body, spirit, the Earth, and environment...
Forum rules
Prior to administering anything, homeopathic or conventional to anyone's diet, pets especially, we feel that personal health history must be considered, and a medical professional should be consulted. There are many instances where even the most "harmless" additive has had contraindications and caused more harm than good. We believe everyone here is responsible and understands that, but it is important to re-state.
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
babblebeth
OBOD Bard

Re: Fibromyalgia Information and Advice

Postby babblebeth » 01 Jun 2015, 14:28

Ask yourself - is it Fibromyalgia or analgesic withdrawal symptoms? Ask any healthy pain-free person to take painkillers regularly for a couple of weeks (even paracetamol or aspirin) and then stop. They get symptoms of ... guess what?
Remember folks, drugs are also toxins (just read the side-effects lists) and most are increasingly recognised to have withdrawal syndromes.
Think you have a 'food intolerance'? Perhaps your body just has trouble adjusting to the massive degree of variety in your modern diet - a variety it was never evolved to cope with. Stick with your wheat or your dairy and simplify your diet and your 'intolerance' will go away, along with many of your 'Fibromyalgia' symptoms ;-)
The Food, Pharmaceutical ('Medical') and Supplement ('Alternative Health') industries are part of the same salubrious and morally tainted human endeavour. It doesn't want you well, it wants you dependent and dis-eased.
I think be careful here, most people I know who have chronic pain conditions do everything possible to avoid taking strong painkillers. Also putting fibromyalgia in scare quotes is a bit condescending. I battle pain, exhaustion, cognitive problems etc on a daily basis and only take the smallest possible dose of painkillers like tramodal and then only if I have no other choice. I hate relying on pills to get through a day but I have a genuine illness that I'm unlikely to recover from. There is convincing research that it might actually be a retro-virus that lies dormant until you experience a serious enough illness or injury to trigger it.

I have certainly learned how to better manage my symptoms and improve my quality of life but I'm never going to be able to hold down a job again or go camping. I take two medications regularly, gabapention which is for nerve pain and is not an opiate and mirtazapime an anti-depressant. Both have vastly improved my health and both are vital to my continuing health. Yes taking medicine when you don't need to is not good for your health but in my case my body and brain are inherently broken thanks to some shoddy genetics and aquiring a chronic pain condition, medicine made me better, saved my life. Suggesting to people their medication is what is making them sick without any firm proof is dangerous.
older and wiser

Rosaline2

Postby Rosaline2 » 17 Aug 2015, 00:15

In January 2015 I attended a parliamentary meeting in the UK about Lyme Disease
There is a is a epidemic across Europe and the U.S.
It's said to be only 50% accurate to test for. So symptoms are the only way of telling
doctors have been sold the story it's a mental hjealth condition.
There maybe a genetic problem as to why we can't form antibodies. Fibroneuralger is one of the symptoms.
It's related to syphlisis.
It's also used as a bioweapon..
Antihistamine may block the manganese channel in the Lyme.
The human closes the Iron channel which works for other infections but not for
Lyme Disease.
400mg a day is mentioned. But this may be to strong experiments are being done
Try different forms of antihistamine. But maybe a smaller dose to start with.
Diabetes is associated with mangnese the Lyme may take the mangnese an cause the
Condition.
Lyme also suppresses the inflammatory markers in the blood so they are normal
Or slightly raised.
A Lyme infected person was injected with flu resently and the inflammatory
Markers were poor to respond.

MoonPryderi
OBOD Bard

Postby MoonPryderi » 17 Aug 2015, 01:11

someone said ''Many also reported that fibromyalgia interfered with their daily lives, with activities like walking or climbing stairs.

Most people “manage to get through life with some vicissitudes, but we adapt,” said Dr. George Ehrlich, a rheumatologist and an adjunct professor at the University of Pennsylvania. “People with fibromyalgia do not adapt.”

Both sides agree that people who are identified as having fibromyalgia do not get much relief from traditional pain medicines, whether anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen — sold as Advil, among other brands — or prescription opiates like Vicodin. So drug companies have sought other ways to reduce pain.''

I just wanto to respond with a slight warning
First though - it can do a lot more than interfere with walking and climbing stairs - it can make it almost impossible to get out of bed and get dressed.
I dont quite link it to depression but i do link it to locking feelings in rather than expressing them (over a long period) - feelings like anxiety and grief and fear.
The only way i have found any improvement (and I have) is because i eventually expressed all that and then became happier and more relaxed. I dont think anything gets rid of it totally but its no longer wrecking my life.
The warning though is this ------- when i had it badly all the time i took Ibuprofen all the time (it didnt work anyway) - i was taking it three times a day for weeks and i went to ask my doctor if this was ok and was told to carry on, no problem. The result was i ended up being examined with a camera down my throat and into my stomach where they discovered internal bleeding caused by ebraisions caused by Ibuprofen.

What I would prefer is that it be recognised that this pain is REAL and PERSISTENT and totally debilitating and to find a way to put it right without spending the rest of my life on pain killers (which I have largely managed to do - but alone - and i have no idea if happiness or contentment would cure anyone else as much as it seems to have in my case)
Moon Pryderi

"Words have the power to both destroy and heal. When words are both true and kind, they can change our world .... Buddha"

https://dreamingpath.wordpress.com

2017Image

MoonPryderi
OBOD Bard

Postby MoonPryderi » 17 Aug 2015, 01:29

there was also a mention of Seratonin in here somewhere - i found that interesting - especially as they say fibromyalgea is linked to depression .
I had depression at one point (before fibromyalgea developed) and was prescribed an antedepressant that was based on simulating seratonin. I was on it three times over a period of about 5 years (instead of changing my life to get rid of the very real and well founded fears and feeling of powerlessness that were causing my depression). The longest period i took it was 6 months, the other times were 2 months each.
It was after THAT that i got fibromyalgia
interesting !
i hate taking drugs !
Moon Pryderi

"Words have the power to both destroy and heal. When words are both true and kind, they can change our world .... Buddha"

https://dreamingpath.wordpress.com

2017Image

Rosaline2

Postby Rosaline2 » 17 Aug 2015, 01:38

I agree pain killers suppress the immune system.
It's the infection causing the problem so you need to kill the infection.
Either with antibiotics or a combination of herbs.
Cinnamon may help as a start. Also look up Lyme.

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 17 Aug 2015, 11:39

I agree pain killers suppress the immune system.
It's the infection causing the problem so you need to kill the infection.
Either with antibiotics or a combination of herbs.
Cinnamon may help as a start. Also look up Lyme.
Welcome to the OBOD board, Rosaline2 :hiya:

Weatherwax
OBOD Bard

Postby Weatherwax » 17 Aug 2015, 18:15

Hello everyone, another FM and CFS sufferer here, although, thankfully my symptoms are much more manageable these days. I usually have a much harder time in winter, it's cold and humid where I live and that plus less sunlight really messes up with my metabolysm. I got my FM and CFS diagnoses back in 2009, after one year of chemotherapy and radiotherapy due to lymphoma. After the whole thing was over, I was very weak with all sorts of problems. My thyroid also messed up and my Hashimoto's took start. Painkillers are some comfort but my doctor presribed Prozac to me saying she had good results with some of her patients. Apparently, serotonin makes the pain less noticeable through some chemical reaction which I cannot remember in detail. It does work for me, I'm mostly in pretty good shape, except when I'm not. :) Stretching and working with light weights also helps me. It (weights) had also helped me when I was suffering from excrutiating pain back when I was having my first chemo treatment and my veins throbbed like... I don't know, a lot. So, trying to exercise, stuff like pilates and yoga and stretching and some light weights is usually good for me. A lot of doctors also recommend swimming but I can't be bothered. :/

It also sucks that sometimes people just get frustrated (I get frustrated with myself, too) and almost blame you for the pain and the fatigue but there it is. I guess it's hard to understand something that never really goes away and there's no exact/apparent reason.

Best of luck to everyone! :)
“This is called the theory of narrative causality and it means that a story, once started, takes a shape. It picks up all the vibrations of all the other workings of that story that have ever been. This is why history keeps on repeating all the time.”
― Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad

Return to “Health and Healing”