Fibromyalgia Information and Advice

Discuss health and harmony of the body, spirit, the Earth, and environment...
Forum rules
Prior to administering anything, homeopathic or conventional to anyone's diet, pets especially, we feel that personal health history must be considered, and a medical professional should be consulted. There are many instances where even the most "harmless" additive has had contraindications and caused more harm than good. We believe everyone here is responsible and understands that, but it is important to re-state.
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Huathe

Re: Fibromyalgia Information and Advice

Postby Huathe » 11 Dec 2010, 20:00

Oh, I am pretty sure pharmaceutical companies use " excuses " to line their pockets.
James E Parton
Bardic Course Graduate - Ovate Student
New Order of Druids

" We all cry tears, we all bleed red "_Ronnie Dunn

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/
http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
http://www.burningman.com/

Busker

Postby Busker » 11 Dec 2010, 21:01

Whatever.........

echoe

Postby echoe » 18 Dec 2010, 08:25

Okay, this is going to take some time all. Bear with me. There is a direct link to Fibromyalgia and low magnesium levels in the body.

http://web.mit.edu/london/www/magnesium.html

http://www.easy-immune-health.com/fibro ... z18RWUKMS8

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/ (you can search most medical conditions right here, but I'll get some of the magnesium fibro info for you)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20192908

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18634773

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18496697

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12849718

oi... I'm tired tonight.

Well, don't buy magnesium supplements or even the magnesium oil sold on-line. Magnesium chloride can be purchased in 50 lb bags for relatively cheap at most hardware stores for those in the middle of winter, or head to the local garden center and ask them to order it for you. They'll assume it's for your plants (goof for them too!) but anyway...

When you search Pubmed, it's documents written by scientists, you're going to come across studies on rats, dogs and animals (that makes me ill) but you can change up your words too, I just did fibro and magnesium, but you can look up muscle pain and magnesium, pain and magnesium, chronic fatigue and magnesium, just plain magnesium

I had come across this recently in my desperate search for soemthing that would work on my body. I've been diagnosed last August with progressive autonomic neuropathy. My stomach muscles had already atrophied as had the right side of my body from the hips down and from the shoulder down my right arm. We were looking at heart monitoring, as it was beginning to show signs of atrophy, and I had musclular pain daily, all over and terrible sleep, caused by whatever they weren't figuring out. Doctors wanted me on debilitating meds, (one that would relax the muscles, but cause me to have hallucinations and seizures? Oh yeah THAT'S the ticket!) and antibiotics daily, for life, (that wasn't about to leave me wide open for catching simple bacteria with no way to fight it) and I came across the magnesium connection.

A study deduced that 62% of americans are deficient, but they updated that, saying that most studies tend to gather the healther subjects, so the estimate is that over 80% of the population is deficient. Not just in the U.S. but also in other westernized countries. Large chunks of all populations.

Magnesium loss contributes DIRECTLY to three major illnesses: Cancer, Heart attacks/strokes, and Diabetes. It also has strong links with many other diseases: ADHD, fibromyalgia, nerve degeneration (my problem) nerve disorders, mental disorders, depression, sleep problems, eye diseases, hearing loss, and that list goes on.

Magnesium serves a few extremely important functions. it balances calcium in the body, over calcification is what causes the heart attacks and the strokes, along with high cholesterol and blood pressure. It binds calcium and puts calcium in the BONES where it belongs instead of free wheeling all over the rest of the body. It's the superglue that keeps calcium hardening our skeletal system.

Next, magnesium activates over 300 enzymes in our body, ensuring that we get complete nutrition and balancing our hormones (such as insulin, thyroid, testosterone, estrogen, etc.) It burns fat (yes indeed, with regular continual use, you'll lose weight without dieting and without exercise) it converts protein to ATP for muscle use (Oh my heart loves me now and doesn't skip beats anymore!) and it burns carbs so that you keep having energy all day and don't flag every few hours.

Magnesium makes your DNA and RNA replicate fully and completely, when there isn't enough magnesium, the DNA and RNA actually replicate in fragments. That replication is exactly what cancer cells are made up of, fragmented DNA and fragmented RNA.

one of the most important functions that magnesium has in the human body is to regulate nerve cells. these nerves tell you when you're in pain, when your heart is supposed to beat, when your stomach is supposed to squeeze the food into the intestine, when your muscles are supposed to relax, when messages are passed along neurons in the brain. And any and all muscular functions rely on nerves. Itching, bug biting sensationsa are all nerves. Restless leg syndrome is nerves misfiring.

don't get it online. I said that above. Online it'll cost you around $100 U.S. to buy a gallon of the stuff called magnesium oil which is magnesium chloride. If you buy it in the bags it'll cost you $15 U.S. for 50 1bs of it, AND you can make 1/2 gallon (using distilled or pure water) mixed with 2/3 cup of magnesium chloride crystals for about $.50 U.S. MAJOR difference. Same stuff! Just make sure you buy the all natural ones, and not the ones with added chemicals or other natural chemicals mixed in.

If you make the liquid: you can drink approximately up to 1/2 cup daily, and it will help clean out your liver, digest food and make your digestive system work well, but you WILL get diarrhea for as long as your liver needs to cleanse. It took me a month of diarrhea. Magnesium forms a "soap" with fats, and soap causes diarrhea. This is also why you'll lose weight and you don't have to go on any extreme diets or buy diet pills. The liquid is GREAT for anyone suffering stomach cramps, or stomach aches, or pains, great for the FLU, or colds as the chloride part kills the bacteria. (after a lifetime of constantly catching absolutely everything that came around, I haven't been sick in a long time and it is SO welcomed!) You may also put the liquid in a spray bottle. You spray it ANYWHERE you feel pain, but also in all of the areas of the lymph nodes on the body. (underarms, sides of breasts, behind knees on legs, groin area, below jaw under ears, at the collar bone, and the back of the neck.) You'll experience a VERY quick relief from pain. Spray muscles that are stiff. They'll release much more quickly.

The absolute BEST way to take in magnesium? take a bath in it. Daily for 3 months and then 2 or 3 times weekly ever after. With an extra bath anytime you're in a stressful situation, because stress induces adrenaline and magnesium is immediately dispatched from the sac around the heart to balance that adrenaline rush (yeah, heartbreak...it's real!)

2-4 cups of magnesium salts per bath as hot as you can stand it. Before bed because you'll fall asleep. Soak your whole body, head to toe in it. You can open your eyes in it, it's good for them too. 30 minutes per bath. So get a good book.

Overdosage would have to be if you sat down and drank gallons of it in one sitting, (you'd feel very ill before you could do this) or if a doctor administers too much intravenously. You can ask your doctor to give you shots, but minimally invasive baths sound a lot better.

Your skin will soften and love you, no more acne, you'll feel much more relaxed, and keep it up, I guarantee in 20 days you'll notice a difference in pain levels, in alertness, in energy levels, oh it's lovely!

I went to my doctor the week of my birthday in November of this year. Not only has the autonomic neuropathy REVERSED, I have reflexes in my right leg again, and my stomach is working to full capacity with no needed antibiotics to induce involuntary stomach squeezing, my heart is no longer skipping, my allergies are reduced due to measure histamnine reduction in my system, my asthma is gone, I went from 74% breathing capacity to 100%!!! I no longer have stiffened unmoveable muslces, nor any more severe and chronic muscle spasms. My alertness had measurable differences and my depression was gone (due to being ill for so many years.) I've also lost weight. I started Magnesium therapy on the 5th of November. I went to the doctor on the 29th. He was amazed and decided he'd go back and research magnesium again. He'd recommended it, but was amazed at how much it affected.

For those who choose not to bathe in it, drinking it will not give enough effect to the whole body, the drinking will take a longer amount of time to experience pain relief, because is has first to clear your digestive system and liver of irregularities or blockages. It will clear kidney stones if they're calcium, it makes your insulin more sensitive (expect sugar cravings) and it cleanses the heck out of your liver. It stops acid reflux too, STOP TAKING PRILOSEC and other Proton pump inhibitors like it! They've found (in Pub med) that they're causing magnesium deficiency and LINKING them to cancer and diabetes and heart attacks. If you can't bathe in it, for whatever reason, get a magnesium supplement bot not just ANY supplement, magnesium oxide is too hard for the body to chemically separate, so you will only absorb around 4%. Magnesium sulfate is the second best supplement, next to magnesium chloride. When the body ingests magnesium sulfate, the chloride in your stomach binds with the magnesium to convert it to magnesium chloride. So in the end, magnesium chloride is the fastest way to get it right.

be faithful to the baths and you'll see a vast difference. Dont' give up, the first week you may experience extra pain as it is reawakening some of the nerves. You may also experience some itching and burning sensations from it, on your skin. that's normal. NOT dangerous. And it may take a little time to see the benefits. Give it your best patience and diligence!

magnesium chloride is derived from sea/salt water. So the royals all heading off for the baths, yeah, they were no dummies.

By the way, I have TWO friends with fibro (a misdiagnosis I'd had two years ago was lupus with fibro) and both have experienced IMMENSE improvement with the magnesium!

Aigeann
OBOD Druid

Postby Aigeann » 27 Jan 2011, 17:48

Do we need to worry about over dosing on magnesium ?
ImageImage

Twig
OBOD Bard

Postby Twig » 28 Jan 2011, 08:56

I think you'll know if you're overdosing on magnesium. You'll be in the bathroom a lot! :grin:

I have to be pretty careful with it myself. I can't just plop it into my weekly vitamin case; I sort of have to take a "reading" to see if I actually need it.
"...some part of me is tree." -- Stephanie Kaza (Buddhist author)

"It takes courage to live ordinary lives." -- Connie Schultz (newspaper columnist)

:awen: :terra: :seasons:

http://www.elephants.com

Abaris GC

Postby Abaris GC » 28 Jan 2011, 23:39

T'ai-Chi and Ch'i-Kung have been shown to raise the endorphins which act as a balm for the nervous system and a natural pain killer.

Blessings and healing to you!
“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”
-Tom Robbins

Aigeann
OBOD Druid

Postby Aigeann » 07 Feb 2011, 01:32

That's very interesting, Abaris GC. Do you remember where you read that?

BTW, I see you are new to the Board. I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Blessings, Aigeann
ImageImage

LadyTessa
OBOD Bard

Postby LadyTessa » 16 May 2011, 12:31

Hello everyone :hiya: I am Lady tessa, A brand new member here at OBOD. I too have this disorder. The pain I have is liveable at this time. I am lucky enough not to need pain killers. But The Exhaustion and brain fog is my biggest battle. I rarely remember my gwers after I read them.
I am also a Reiki Master. Other Therapies that are being looked into are Massage,Acupuncture,and Chiropractic adjustments.Also meditation and yoga.
I have tried Aroma therapy for my exhaustion, It seemed to help at first. But it was just temporary. It might work for others though.
:old: Can't even remember my next thought about this topic!And it was a good one! Oh well... guess its time for me to shut up.
But I will leave this subject with a final thought. If anyone would like my Reiki services are available-free to any one who needs it. Just message me.

Many Blessings to all.
LadyTessa

Aigeann
OBOD Druid

Postby Aigeann » 06 Jun 2011, 20:18

Hello everyone :hiya: I am Lady tessa, A brand new member here at OBOD. I too have this disorder. The pain I have is liveable at this time. I am lucky enough not to need pain killers. But The Exhaustion and brain fog is my biggest battle. I rarely remember my gwers after I read them.
I am also a Reiki Master. Other Therapies that are being looked into are Massage,Acupuncture,and Chiropractic adjustments.Also meditation and yoga.
I have tried Aroma therapy for my exhaustion, It seemed to help at first. But it was just temporary. It might work for others though.
:old: Can't even remember my next thought about this topic!And it was a good one! Oh well... guess its time for me to shut up.
But I will leave this subject with a final thought. If anyone would like my Reiki services are available-free to any one who needs it. Just message me.

Many Blessings to all.
LadyTessa
LadyTessa! Greetings and welcome to the Board!

Now please don't take this as harsh because it is not meant to be. However, according to Number 6 of the Agreement, all advertisements for services can only be posted in the Marketplace. I know (!) you are new and did not know this probably. Other than that, post away!

Blessings, Aigeann
ImageImage

Willowen
OBOD Bard

Postby Willowen » 12 Jun 2011, 18:05

:warm: Greetings to all,
I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a few months ago. Of course, this was after at least four years of seeing doctors who had no answers. I was losing the ability to use my hands and due to allergies all I could take was hydrocodone or oxycodone. Unfortunately, these drugs can make for a very nasty personality. :old: Not to mention the fact I couldn't remember anything and grew more depressed with each passing day.
In desperation, I wrote to my tutor and she advised me to see a naturopath. I believe this was also pointed out in the beginning of the Bardic grade gwers (can't remember for sure, imagine that). I followed the advice and I seem to be doing much better. I quit taking pain medication and I am under strict supervision provided by my naturopath. I realize that this kind of treatment is not for everyone, but for me it was a gift from the God & Goddess, and I am so thankful. Now I can continue my work with the Order.
I know that I will never be pain-free, but at least I have a lust for life again.
It is also worth mentioning that the naturopath found several underlying health conditions that I was not aware of. I hope that someone finds this post helpful. :curtsey:
"The Way itself is a strengthening of spirit, a growing closer to the balance that governs the world. Progress is slow along the Way, but every step of the journey is like a note in the oldest tune of all. When you have the tune complete, you complete yourself." from Moonheart by Charles De Lint

LadyTessa
OBOD Bard

Postby LadyTessa » 12 Jun 2011, 23:42

I understand that.My Offer was NOT meant as an advertisement, I never charge for my services. I just wanted to help any that needed it.

Al Hakim
OBOD Druid

Postby Al Hakim » 27 Jun 2011, 21:05

Dear all,
fibromyalgia is a very difficult problem because nobody really knows wheat are the reasons behind. If centrally acting painkillers do not work - like opioids- peripherally ones like Ibuprofen and muscle relaxants etc. are tried, often without any success. Lyrica works a bit differently. It works in the brain, and therefore is often used in depressions. That implies some inconveniences when people wish to abandon it. Anyway, if it helps I would consider it as OK. As for alternatives I am not really sure. I lost a friend because she was puffed up with corticosteroids. Physical exercises and jobs that the ill person accepts can be beneficial.
Al Hakim

Twig
OBOD Bard

Postby Twig » 27 Jun 2011, 21:43

I was unable to take Lyrica, but I have found that Cymbalta is helpful. I really do hate to take chemicals, but after 17 years of trying natural solutions, I gave up and gave in. This year is my 25th "anniversary" with fibro & ME.

I take one (or two if I have to be active) 800 mg ibuprofen daily, as well as the Cymbalta. Sleep was the biggest problem. I was awake for 13 days when I first got sick! I got much sicker from being so stubborn, so I do have to take something mild for sleep. (Looking back, I began to have sleep problems in 1979 after agricultural chemicals were dumped on me by a crop duster.)

The quality of my life has improved somewhat after being able to control pain & sleep issues. Some days are OK; others are horrible. A good disease for teaching "live in the moment!"

"It takes courage to live ordinary lives." -- Connie Schultz (newspaper columnist)

Aigeann
OBOD Druid

Postby Aigeann » 30 Jun 2011, 16:22

Massive cyber hugs and healing prayers to all !

Blessings, Aigeann
ImageImage

Brigit le Fay
OBOD Druid

Postby Brigit le Fay » 04 Jul 2011, 17:26

Blessings of Healing and Wellness to Everyone, :hiya:

Prescription for Nutritional Healing, by Phyllis A. Balch, CNC, is a great reference book that discusses background info, considerations and cautions, supplements, herbal remedies/medicine, diet, exercise, massage, some medications that have been used, research studies, possible links to causes, and other valuable information. The Fibromyalgia section begins on page 434.

Many have found the recommendations in this book to be very helpful. Most Natural Food businesses use it as their main Reference Book. Many Nutritionists/Herbalists I know, use it also. Perhaps some or all of you may find it useful too.

Brightest of Blessings to everyone on your journey to health/wellness,
Brigit :hug:
"MERCY is the Highest octave of LOVE."
"MUSIC is the SONG of the SOUL."
"PEACE, MERCY, & HEALING through MUSIC." -B.A.

Muddy Fox

Postby Muddy Fox » 05 Jul 2011, 09:19

I have treated somebody with fibromyalgia with a course of reflexology sessions, with some interesting results during the actual session and in the days following it. There was in some sessions increased pain in limbs, pins and needles etc which subsided after a day. I put this down to nerve stimulation. The lady in question also made drastic changes to her diet as recommended by a herbalist, in conjunction with the reflexology.She cut out all red meat, coffee, tea, dairy products and wheat products. I think the depression and lethargy begn to lift for her and weight loss gave her more energy, but it was hard to keep her motivated to continue with the changes.
What I have found interesting in this discussion is that someone seemed to think their symtoms appeared after being sprayed with crop chemicals. The fields where I walk my dog are potato fields and at the moment are sprayed daily. There are big signs up warning that the crop is sprayed on a daily basis with dangerous chemicals. I was walking down there the other morning and the tractor driver was coming towards me with the spray arms up and dispersing the chemical. When he saw me he stopped and lowered the arms until I had passed but I was still walking in the trail of it. These fields are close to a residential area, houses back onto one field, with children playing in their back gardens, public footpaths run each side and through the middle of the fields. So I got to thinking how many of us are exposed to dangerous chemicals without realising it. And of course the potatoes are saturated in these chemicals and they are very porous anyway. Toxic substances may be at the root of a number of conditions as we are surrounded by chemicals in the home, in cleaning products and in our food etc. Perhaps some people are more sensitive to them than others as is always the case. I have been in touch with a neurophysiology research centre in America regarding tourettes syndrome and other behavioural problems in children and young adults. Some of the first things they look at are diet and toxicology, ie what chemicals they may have been exposed to in their mother's womb and if she was working with hazrdous products. More research needed perhaps?

Al Hakim
OBOD Druid

Postby Al Hakim » 14 Jul 2011, 22:14

As the examples show it is very difficult to differentiate the various reasons. Working in a chemical trust at present I would never exclude nervous problems after being sprayed with insecticides, or herbicides. But I have not seen any reports of bio-monitoring so far after such an exposition.
It is also known that a pain can be learnt after a while and becomes chronic. There are some drugs to "delete" that memory, and sometimes they are effective.
Then you have the whole bunch of neuro-muscular disorders; most of them are not fully understood yet.
That makes it necessary to prepare a combined and optimized treatment concept. It should comprise physiotherapy - particularly stretching exercises -, healthy food to rule out further and to eliminate existing poisonings, also to provide a sufficient supply of vitamin B-complex and D, and psychological treatment. Chemical drugs can be a short-term option only, as stopping the treatment leads to a couple of bad weeks. That often applies to anti-depressives.
I noticed a few times that patients with intact social contacts had less pain when socializing.
But still, that disease remains a medical challenge.

Al Hakim

Twig
OBOD Bard

Postby Twig » 14 Jul 2011, 22:47

Has anyone heard of the Bowen Technique for pain relief?

Willowen
OBOD Bard

Postby Willowen » 15 Jul 2011, 04:57

Greetings Brigit,
Thank you for the information. What an excellent book and what a wealth of information!
Blessed Be,
Julia :brnbear:
Blessings of Healing and Wellness to Everyone, :hiya:

Prescription for Nutritional Healing, by Phyllis A. Balch, CNC, is a great reference book that discusses background info, considerations and cautions, supplements, herbal remedies/medicine, diet, exercise, massage, some medications that have been used, research studies, possible links to causes, and other valuable information. The Fibromyalgia section begins on page 434.

Many have found the recommendations in this book to be very helpful. Most Natural Food businesses use it as their main Reference Book. Many Nutritionists/Herbalists I know, use it also. Perhaps some or all of you may find it useful too.

Brightest of Blessings to everyone on your journey to health/wellness,
Brigit :hug:
"The Way itself is a strengthening of spirit, a growing closer to the balance that governs the world. Progress is slow along the Way, but every step of the journey is like a note in the oldest tune of all. When you have the tune complete, you complete yourself." from Moonheart by Charles De Lint

Muddy Fox

Postby Muddy Fox » 15 Jul 2011, 11:37

In answer to Twig, yes I know a Bowen Technique practitioner and she has had good results with a number of conditions. I haven't tried it myself though and apparently, unrelated, it works well with horses.

Return to “Health and Healing”