No soap or shampoo?

Discuss health and harmony of the body, spirit, the Earth, and environment...
Forum rules
Prior to administering anything, homeopathic or conventional to anyone's diet, pets especially, we feel that personal health history must be considered, and a medical professional should be consulted. There are many instances where even the most "harmless" additive has had contraindications and caused more harm than good. We believe everyone here is responsible and understands that, but it is important to re-state.
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Aigeann
OBOD Druid

Re: No soap or shampoo?

Postby Aigeann » 03 Jan 2013, 23:21

Despite my boyfriend's threat to wash my hair, I don't think it looks bad.
I am going to try to say this in the nicest, gentlest way possible via the internet, talk to your bf about this.

I say this because a one time bf suddenly went no soap or shampoo and it was a major reason we broke up. Bottom line, he stank. He had extreme dandruff. I tried to diplomatically talk to him about it. He said he did not. But...to me, he did. And, people I associated also with mentioned privately to me how he looked/smelled like a transient.

I totally totally understand going no soap or shampoo for health reasons and/or even to save money. Just to please be a little careful in your own society/culture/circle of peoples.

I am not saying YOUR bf is going to leave. I am NOT saying you stink. I AM saying this is a major change in lifestyle in the middle of an established relationship that may not be entirely okay with the other one.

So, please, talk about this with him even if his threatening is just a joke.

I apologize profusely if my post has offended anyone.
ImageImage

Kima
OBOD Bard

Postby Kima » 04 Jan 2013, 09:21

I don't think that is why he said that. Last time he told me I smelled, it was the scent of the essential oils from a lotion I'd used. But we were on a trip together and he said my hair looked greasy, then was surprised the following day to see that I hadn't washed it (which I normally would have). No other comment since then and my hair looks better.

Did your boyfriend have exzema? It's a problem I sometimes have and one of the reasons behind trying to forgo shampoo - my hair is easily greasy but if I wash it frequently I get dandruff. With this experiment I'm hoping to get rid of both to some extent.

Aigeann
OBOD Druid

Postby Aigeann » 04 Jan 2013, 14:43

Did your boyfriend have exzema?
Yes and his symptoms increased dramatically.

Well, good, it sounds like your bf is fine with all this.

Blessings!
ImageImage

Kima
OBOD Bard

Postby Kima » 05 Jan 2013, 10:47

What about the old-time no-shampooers earlier in this thread? Are you still going without?

katie bridgewater

Postby katie bridgewater » 05 Jan 2013, 15:34

I'm not going without anything, Kima, except stress, hassle, poisoning and wasted expense :shrug: ...But if you mean have I shampooed my hair lately, then no, why would I do that? :grin:

Glad this thread has inspired a few to free themselves from shampoo-shackles! I suppose we should all thank Plaidcat for posing the original question, because although I gave up using shampoo' donkeys years ago, I never really bothered to mention it to anyone really until this thread started.

I haven't stopped using soap yet - there are some really good soaps with nothing but olive oil in that clean without damage and come in minimum biodegredeable packaging, so I keep a bar for bits and pits. At my day job we sometimes just use leaves containing saponids to wash our hands. Pick and crush - can't get more natural than that!

Sadly though, I can't use 'I'm washing my hair' as an excuse to avoid social invitations...I knew there had to be a downside! :wink:

Kima
OBOD Bard

Postby Kima » 22 Jan 2013, 09:20

So week 5, the week when my boyfriend made remarks, was definitely the worst. We ended up talking about it, and he understands my reasons for doing this although he washes his own hair TWICE a DAY. I'm glad he didn't realise that it had already been going on for over a month... After that things got better and now in week 8 I don't obsess over it as much. I'm doing weekly nettle infusion rinses, with a dash of apple cider vinegar, to appease the scalp eczema. It helps and "cleans" my hair enough for my partner to leave me alone.
:whistle:

katie bridgewater

Postby katie bridgewater » 10 Mar 2013, 17:56

I have started the Shampoo-Free Jamoboree, a group on FB, for those who are or want to try being free of the shampoo for cosmetic, health or environmental reasons. I hope we can support one another and share our experiences there, and even post pictures of our lustrous locks! :fear: (well it was the only emoticon with long hair...)

http://www.facebook.com/groups/345121418932834/

Fox
OBOD Ovate

Postby Fox » 10 Mar 2013, 21:10

I read a few of the original posts on this thread, but when I saw it was 12 pages long ... nah.

I stopped using shampoo a while ago, having said that I keep my hair very short. I don't see why rinsing would affect natural oils, as oil and water don't mix, right? I would have thought it would rinse out dust etc but leave the natural oils on your hair - but I could be wrong about that. :shrug: Plus I like the feel of water running over my head :)

I'll check out your FB page, Katie!
yr pal, Fox

"So good luck came, and on my roof did light, like noiseless snow."
– Robert Herrick, from 'The Coming of Good Luck'

Oleane
OBOD Bard

Postby Oleane » 12 Mar 2013, 17:38

I am trying to reduce shampoo so I have greasy hairs every second day.
My husband did not comment on it although I once commented that I could not stand the men's soap he was using or the smell of the bathroom after using it.

You can overdo it in both direction. Most important is tolerance.
I think that if one partner can't stand something about the other this is better to say it and assume the consequences than pretending that everything is allright and to be throwing it like a bomb many years later after the last drop turned the water over the edge.

Maskdt
OBOD Bard

Postby Maskdt » 31 May 2013, 23:56

I tried quitting shampoo, and was actually doing quite well. No big transition, nothing. And then I moved, and my hair freaked right out and became an unpleasant greaseball. I'm back to shampoo now (sulfate-free, which is definitely more gentle on my hair than regular shampoo), but I'll be starting to wean my hair back down again soon.

No soap, though? Not a chance. I like the smell of some soaps too much to give them up, and anyway, it feels nice to have a kind of ritual cleanse every morning. It just doesn't feel like the day has progressed beyond mid-morning if I haven't had my shower and lather unless I'm camping.

Kima
OBOD Bard

Postby Kima » 04 Jun 2015, 08:34

Apart from going to the hairdresser's once a year and a single shampoo after getting an argan oil massage in Morocco (which included massaging oil into the scalp... not for my type of hair, thank you!), I haven't used any for over two years. I've recently had my hair cut and I'll give water only a try. I'm tired of preparing nettle infusion every time I want to wash my hair.

I tend to have eczema, so I'm also doing without soap for the most part, having a bath every three days while washing more minimally the rest of the time, and have given up on perfume and makeup. I also walk barefoot whenever I can, so I guess I've earned that stinky dirty hippie badge of honour! In truth, my social life hasn't suffered at all - if anything I meet more interesting people. Mostly, I don't think people have a clue.

babblebeth
OBOD Bard

Postby babblebeth » 04 Jun 2015, 10:59

I haven't quit my daily showers or washing my hair but I have switched from using shampoo and conditioner to just baby shampoo. I did try going without shampoo once and I lasted less than 24 hours. I'm just not comfortable not doing it, I think it's partly because it does feel very pleasurable to wash my hair. It's soothing. What I have done is stopped shaving under my arms. I find i use less deodorant and have less body odour in general if I'm unshaved. I did try going without shaving my legs as well but I have an aquafit class I go to and I don't like the feel of long leg hair when I'm in the water. (I'm not ashamed of it it just feels icky)
older and wiser

MountainGnome

Postby MountainGnome » 06 Jun 2015, 03:05

I don't know if anyone has brought it up yet in this 12-page-long thread, but using soap and shampoo actually disrupts your natural bacterial flora. People today hear "bacteria" and think of something bad, but without bacteria we would not be alive. They digest our food, clean our skin, and help our immune systems and general body functions by keeping the "bad" bacteria from spreading. When we wipe all of this good bacteria out, it has to rebuild, and it can also create an opportunity for other forms of bacteria to start growing.

Body odor has to do with your diet and the kind of bacteria growing on you. Some people have to shower with soap and shampoo because, whether it's because of what they eat or the flora that's already settled in on them or whatever, they can get pretty raunchy. Luckily I've never really had that problem, but I try to watch my diet. I can go for several days without showering without any noticeable difference, and when I do shower I only use plant oils for soap and shampoo. I don't think constant showering with soaps and shampoos loaded with toxins is doing anyone a favor.

Skogsvandrare
OBOD Bard

Postby Skogsvandrare » 06 Jun 2015, 08:19

I've been shampoo-less for about 3 years now.I rinse it in the shower about 2-3 times a week, and use conditioner every week or two. No problems, hair about as nice as it always have been.

Soap: yes. But not any super-antibacterial stuff, but plain soap (mostly home made, from coconut butter and olive oil).
images/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gif

Kima
OBOD Bard

Postby Kima » 02 Feb 2016, 08:26

I'm water-only now. I only use a herbal brew occasionally. It works best when my hair isn't too long because it still has a tendency to get greasy. This used to be the case even when I used shapoo, so I figure I'm back to normal now.

I'd love to stop shaving my armpits but it would require a lot of courage! It doesn't exactly fit society's beauty standards, although I think it can be quite sexy. As for deodorant... I'd need a long, solitary holiday to transition out of it.

Return to “Health and Healing”