Dealing with anxiety disorder

Discuss health and harmony of the body, spirit, the Earth, and environment...
Forum rules
Prior to administering anything, homeopathic or conventional to anyone's diet, pets especially, we feel that personal health history must be considered, and a medical professional should be consulted. There are many instances where even the most "harmless" additive has had contraindications and caused more harm than good. We believe everyone here is responsible and understands that, but it is important to re-state.
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Faywulff
OBOD Bard

Dealing with anxiety disorder

Postby Faywulff » 14 Dec 2011, 23:07

I am not sure if this has been discussed before but I am currently dealing with anxiety disorder. I could be just sitting and watching TV and by heart starts progressively pounding harder, I experience shortness of breath, flushness on my head, feet and hands, as well as a feeling of dread. My heart has been checked and it is good and am currently taking Lexapro. Are there any holistic remedies that anyone knows of? :shrug:
Faywulff

There is more felicity on the far side of baldness than young men can possibly imagine. ~Logan Pearsall Smith

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Re: Dealing with anxiety disorder

Postby Lily » 15 Dec 2011, 08:55

I just came across a "natural" remedy advertised on the internet that looked reeeeeally iffy - and I have to recommend you to be very, very careful.
There's a lot of bogus advertising out there.

Are you also in therapy? Maybe there are some cognitive therapies out there that could benefit you.

good luck.
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

Muddy Fox

Postby Muddy Fox » 15 Dec 2011, 10:32

If you consult a qualified Holistic Therapist in your area, they will carry out a full consultation on your first visit. Questions will include things like medical history, illnesses, traumas/accidents, operations, stress levels, how much exercise you take, diet and fluid intake and any medication that you are taking.
From this they will endeavour to ascertain which therapy would be most appropriate for you, eg. Aromatherapy, Reflexology, Reiki, Bowen, Massage and so on. Sometimes it is trial and error and one person will have a better response to a one therapy over another. Holistic therapies are not a quick fix, though and it may take 4- 6 weekly sessions before you start to see a result.
Also if from the initial consultation, the therapist thinks that there are deep seated medical or psychcological problems they would reccommend that you see your GP, or to seek the help of a professional counsellor.
Personally,I've seen good results from holistic therapies and anxiety disorders though.

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 15 Dec 2011, 12:08

Practising 'Mindfulness' can also be helpful with anxiety disorder. Perhaps you could find classes via your surgery or CPN.

flic
OBOD Bard

Postby flic » 15 Dec 2011, 12:28

Practising 'Mindfulness' can also be helpful with anxiety disorder. Perhaps you could find classes via your surgery or CPN.
Mindfulness is awesome for anxiety. If you have a therapist (Counsellor, Psychologist etc) in the area that uses Acceptance and Committment Therapy that would be worth a look (key components of that therapy are mindfulness, allowing the experience and approaching emotionally laden problems)...it's been found to be very useful for anxiety and is a peaceful way to live life. :rainbow:
Last edited by flic on 16 Dec 2011, 06:00, edited 2 times in total.

Kima
OBOD Bard

Postby Kima » 15 Dec 2011, 21:40

I too would recommend mindfulness. I've been successful with MBCT for a few years now.

seabhac star
OBOD Ovate

Postby seabhac star » 16 Dec 2011, 00:47

Hello Faywulff. :tiphat: I left you a private message.-Roy
2011 SB
Whosoever would be a man would be a non-conformist-Ralph Waldo Emerson.

DreamOfaRedBird
OBOD Bard

Postby DreamOfaRedBird » 19 Dec 2011, 17:45

There are some acupressure points that you can use that may help your anxiety. First is Heart 7 this is located on the little finger side of your wrist just below the little bump you can find there. Apply gentle but firm ( if that makes sense) pressure to this point on both sides for up to a minute at a time. You may find it slightly tender to press.

Another great point for calming the heart is Kidney 1 this is located on the sole of your foot in the the little dip formed below the pad of your foot. You may need some help pressing this point as its difficult to get to. It is possible to stimulate the point with the blunt end of a pencil. If you can find a willing friend get them to gently apply pressure with their thumbs to both points while you lie face down on the floor. Get them to SLOWLY apply pressure until a level is found that is comfortable and helpful for you. It can be quite a tender point as well so go easy.

If you have any other q's please message me. I am a qualified Shiatsu practitioner with an interest in mental health issues.

Hope this helps!
"Do not try to bend the spoon, instead, realise there is no spoon"

Oakmyst
OBOD Bard

Postby Oakmyst » 20 Dec 2011, 23:16

I have dealt with PTSD and other anxiety disorders for many years-one thing I discovered recently something called "noise anxiety"along with the others in aspects of social anxiety fits me to a "T" I have found some natural healing remedies that have helped me greatly as well. You might want to consider looking it up, if sound noise sensitivity really get to you.
Nothing works perfectly, though that would be great- as insomnia can get old after a while!

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to know about the specifics of what has helped me regarding supplements-as always your mileage may vary regarding them.
OBOD, BDO, AODA,NOD,ADF,Ord Brighideach, Woodland Way
I take refuge in the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha and Seek the Light in Truth, Nature and Knowledge.
:rainbow: :emerit: :harp: :duir: :awen: :tinne: :seasons: :acornandleaf: :oakfall: :oakleaves: :fence: :peregrine: :atlsalm: :trefoil: :trisk: :uilleand:

Wolfdance
OBOD Bard

Postby Wolfdance » 03 Jan 2012, 17:53

How long have you been on Lexapro? For me it does help, but the initial two weeks of being on it are hell while my body adjusts. Once I've been on it for a month or so, things even out.

If you are new to Lexapro, give it time and it will get better.

My partner finds hand or foot massage helps relieve his anxiety, so you might try that as well. Good luck! :hug:

Lithaya
OBOD Bard

Postby Lithaya » 22 Jan 2012, 21:27

Your symptoms also give me the idea of hyperventilation,
maybe you can practice some breathing exercises.

If you would like to try some and you don't know any, you can send me a message.
In autumn when the trees are brown,
the little leafs come tumbling down.
They do not make the slightest sound,
but lie so quietly on the ground.
Until the wind comes puffing by
and blows them off towards the sky...

BlazeLeeDragon
OBOD Bard

Postby BlazeLeeDragon » 05 Dec 2012, 00:46

I am not sure if this has been discussed before but I am currently dealing with anxiety disorder. I could be just sitting and watching TV and by heart starts progressively pounding harder, I experience shortness of breath, flushness on my head, feet and hands, as well as a feeling of dread. My heart has been checked and it is good and am currently taking Lexapro. Are there any holistic remedies that anyone knows of? :shrug:

Therapist might be helpful as well, I found that finding my triggers help me to avoid the triggers so they didn't happen as often. Finding a way to calm your self as well, be it deep breathing or just letting your mind wonder. We all react differently and each of us will find different ways to cope. However I find the two basics to be helpful to most, find your triggers, find a way to relax during an attack.
May the peace of the season find you,
Blaze Dragon

Image Image

LadyKatlinel
OBOD Bard

Postby LadyKatlinel » 17 Jul 2013, 16:56

I have been dealing with severe panic attacks for a number of years now and have found several things have helped immensely.

I take 5-HTP daily which has done wonders for depression without having side effects like conventional anti depressant medications have.

During an attack I take four drops of Bach's flower remedies in Aspen and the attack dissapates within minutes. This is a homeopathic preparation of the Aspen tree and has worked wonders for me. I've gone from being nearly incapacitat
ed by panic attacks to feeling normal again. It is nonaddictive, unlike the ativan the MD prescribed, is safe to use as often as I require, and has no discernable side effects. I feel like it has given me my life back.

Finally, I keep a journal. When I have an attack I write down what precipitated the attack or what I was doing prior to it's onset...this helps identify triggers. I write down my feelings,
symptoms and fears. Then I reframe the experience and write what I want the trigger to teach me rather than panic. I look for the positive lesson. The act of writing helps lessen the severity of the panic attack and the reframing helps change my perdp
Eternal student of life
Druid of the Bardic grade

LadyKatlinel
OBOD Bard

Postby LadyKatlinel » 17 Jul 2013, 16:59

Sorry, that got cut off by my phone.

I was saying it helps change my perceptions of the attack and triggers.

All in all, I now have far fewer attacks, perhaps once or twice a week as opposed to ten or more times daily. They are far less severe as well.

I wish you peace and healing.
Eternal student of life

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 17 Jul 2013, 17:02

During an attack I take four drops of Bach's flower remedies in Aspen and the attack dissapates within minutes. This is a homeopathic preparation of the Aspen tree and has worked wonders for me.
Do you know if this is safe during pregnancy? I haven't had an attack yet, but I sure am on edge...

LadyKatlinel
OBOD Bard

Postby LadyKatlinel » 17 Jul 2013, 17:07

Yes, homeopathic remedies, of which the Bach remedies are, are safe to use during pregnancy.
Eternal student of life

Ulchabhán
OBOD Bard

Postby Ulchabhán » 17 Jul 2013, 19:05

I suffer from OCD which is an anxiety disorder, and have seen a therapist for 9 months which has really helped. I recommend Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, if that is suitable for what you are suffering with. My therapist incorporated Mindfulness into my therapy at it has really helped, I can't stress by how much. As for a natural remedy you might want to try St John's Wort.

Hope any of this helps.

Cosmic Ash
OBOD Druid

Postby Cosmic Ash » 18 Jul 2013, 00:11

A couple of things I have found that helped me.
Firstly knowing that it will pass. Remembering just to breathe and wait and it will go. Knowing that it has happened before and I survived so I will again.
Secondly I used to have a small pouch of crystals in my pocket. If I started to feel not good I would take one out and just hold it in my hand. I guess any small object would do. I think I started this because I read somewhere that having something tactile to handle can help. Anyway I found it helped.
I'm worried that I'm making this sound less than it is, but this is stuff that really helped me.

There is a lot of good advice on this thread. I hope you find something that works for you.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 18 Jul 2013, 00:57

Firstly knowing that it will pass. Remembering just to breathe and wait and it will go. Knowing that it has happened before and I survived so I will again.
This always helped me alot, too...
"I'm having a panic attack, and that's all it is. These symptoms are physical, and I have no reason to be worked up mentally, as bad things almost never follow" I'd say in my head. It didn't make the symptoms disappear, but it helped me to get to the right place in my mind.

elementalheart
OBOD Druid

Postby elementalheart » 18 Jul 2013, 09:14

I suffer chronic anxiety and PTSD but not panic attacks, I understand that is a separate "disorder" all of its own and I've no wish to add it to what I already have but I've worked with people who do and usually it's a matter of finding a means of regrounding in the body, focusing on any or all sensory input until the oxygen deficit caused by the hyperventilation is past. Sometimes just sitting or lying on the ground helps, particularly if you are working with the gwersi but even if not, it's feeling the solidity supporting you and knowing you can't fall - losing consciousness is often one of the fears people with panic disorder have.. Mindfulness has similar benefits because it is about the immediate sensory input over the internal panic process, noticing requires focus to go outside the mental distress and reground attention in the present.

As for anxiety more generally, it works for that too, for me anyway. When I am in high stress I go and lie down outside for preference where I can hear leaves moving in the wind. That sound has soothed me since I was a baby lying in an old silver cross pram in the garden and nobody within sight or hearing to cry to - I imagine that as part of my path of druidry, turning to nature when people weren't there for me or when the people around were dangerous. Occasionally I will curl up in a dip in the ground or the roots of a tree and wait it out. On the rare occasion there has been a safe person available to hold or massage me, that's amazing, but it's rare so I don't depend on it because depending on people makes me anxious :???:

I have spent many years working through the issues with psychological and more alternative therapies and I know what the root causes and common triggers are so I can sometimes talk myself through it. But at the end of it all nothing works in the way that first thing does. In the days where I worked in offices and couldn't walk out to lie on the ground, I used to lean back on a wall or forward onto a solid wooden desk and hold tight while focusing on breathing. Same theory if not as responsive as the living earth or a tree. Conscious breathing to increase oxygen intake lower into the body helps when you can remember to do it or have someone to tell you. Or a recording of yourself talking yourself through it even.
Image Image 2013BS 2013LI 2013SB 2014IL 2014LI

Return to “Health and Healing”