Barefooting

Discuss health and harmony of the body, spirit, the Earth, and environment...
Forum rules
Prior to administering anything, homeopathic or conventional to anyone's diet, pets especially, we feel that personal health history must be considered, and a medical professional should be consulted. There are many instances where even the most "harmless" additive has had contraindications and caused more harm than good. We believe everyone here is responsible and understands that, but it is important to re-state.
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Kima
OBOD Bard

Re: Barefooting

Postby Kima » 30 May 2012, 16:19

When I was little, we had to watch for honey locust trees (native to Indiana and the Midwestern U.S.). They have really huge, vicious thorns. Bad for bare feet, really. :D
Ouch! Mine was probably an invisible piece of metal (I got it in front of a garage) but I believe I managed to take it out yesterday; it hurts much less today. It pretty much sorted itself out.

I went barefoot to the post office this afternoon and still cannot believe how much fun it is to walk around without shoes. It just feels great. I wish no one was shocked, but I cannot avoid that. A man stopped me to tell me he admires me but is concerned for my safety. I certainly didn't tell him about the splinter :D

Also enjoying listening to the Living Barefoot Show podcast http://www.livingbarefoot.info/the-livi ... w-podcast/ although I'm getting tired of hearing about minimalist footwear when all I want is to take my shoes off.

Erithe
OBOD Bard

Postby Erithe » 30 May 2012, 17:50

hah hah! I know what you mean! I think, if I lived in the country, I'd wear shoes far less than I do now. In the city and suburbs, people litter far more often. I mean, there's always something that could happen, right? But in the country, it just feels more natural and there are fewer people about anyway. If I could, I'd wear sandals and flip flops everywhere, but I have to wear socks and shoes to work. :(

This really makes me miss being a kid. I want to go run around in the grass and play in the creek all day now.

"We are happy when for everything inside us there is a corresponding something outside us."
~ William Butler Yeats

Explorer
OBOD Druid

Postby Explorer » 30 May 2012, 18:32

Lovely thread.

I walk barefoot in the woods a lot, when I am in my grove to do a ritual or just enjoy the stillness.
At first I was surprised by how good the reflexes in my feet still are, when I step on a sharp stone or branch I automatically prevent putting my full weight on it. And I love how quiet I can walk now, so different from stumping around in hiking boots chasing off all the wildlife. And what a sensations! So many textures, temperatures and humidities, how different the ground feels in sunlight or shadow.

I've never really done it in public in town though. I'm tempted.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Erithe
OBOD Bard

Postby Erithe » 30 May 2012, 19:05

I'm a bit messy at home (i hate to admit), but I never step on things in my room or hurt my feet. However, my roommate, who is a city bred guy, steps on EVERYTHING. He's constantly grumpy b/c he steps on things on the floor, cat toys, etc. He wears his shoes constantly (I have to make him take his shoes off in the house half the time). I sometimes wonder if, having learned to run barefoot as a child, it's just more natural now that I'm an adult. I only wear socks in the winter, really, if then.

If I wore shoes and socks all the time, I would never feel the soft touch of my cat's tail on my ankle when he's happy. That would be a sad loss.

"We are happy when for everything inside us there is a corresponding something outside us."
~ William Butler Yeats

Kima
OBOD Bard

Postby Kima » 30 May 2012, 19:27

I want to go run around in the grass and play in the creek all day now.
I've never really done it in public in town though. I'm tempted.
I say go for it :wink:

I used to go barefoot in the woods a lot when I lived in the countryside. I stopped when I moved to an urban environment, simply because no one else does it and it would make me look like a dirty hippy. So when I found out that others do it around the world, I went out for a shy little walk and two weeks later it's like I have forgotten my inhibitions.

Just make sure you don't step on a :realacorn: before your sole is fully prepared.

lotuswelcome
OBOD Ovate

Postby lotuswelcome » 02 Jun 2012, 13:07

I try to go barefoot as much as possible: house, garden , beach etc . But I cannot walk long distances like that because I have a disability in my left leg and it becomes painful after a while.( actually, I would like to hear from any Druids with walking and mobility issues) But I just love that feeling , when the soles of your feet are in contact with the grass, the sand or even cool patio slabs.
'Please believe me,
the River told me ,
very softly, want you
to hold me'
-Jim Morrison-

Skogsvandrare
OBOD Bard

Postby Skogsvandrare » 14 Jul 2012, 18:28

I go barefoot when I can, or with minimal footwear when possible (towns in the north of Sweden in winter is not for barefoot walking, and soft mukluk style footwear dies quickly in those environements, while lasting all season out in the deep snow). But since my summer job is pretending to live in another century I can get away with walking barefoot quite a bit during the summer. For my real job I have to (attempt to) pretend to be "normal", so no barfooting there, unfortunately.

I just spent a week in the woods, and wore vibram fivefingers or went barefoot the whole time. I can't stomp down and ignore what is underneath my feet, but I can feel what I walk on and use my balance much better than the boot people. I also recall that the worst injury I ever suffered while out hiking was a twisted ankle, brought on by heavy Lundhags style boots not giving me the warning I needed that a rock was unsteady.
images/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gif

aspiebabe

Postby aspiebabe » 21 Jul 2012, 18:27

Hello all,
I am new here, and new to Druidism, and I was wondering if there is a link between going barefoot and Druidism? Is it similar to connecting to one's surroundings? I personally don't like wearing shoes, and I never have. I do go barefoot around the house as much as possible, and even in the cold winter. My feet don't seem to get cold easily, which I am thankful for.

I love being able to feel the earth beneath my feet. I wear specific barefoot shoes in areas that require me to do so - but the soles are extremely thin and it feels like i'm walking barefoot! I love them!

Thanks for being part of my journey,

Darby aka Aspiebabe

Skogsvandrare
OBOD Bard

Postby Skogsvandrare » 21 Jul 2012, 20:13

Hello all,
I am new here, and new to Druidism, and I was wondering if there is a link between going barefoot and Druidism? Is it similar to connecting to one's surroundings? I personally don't like wearing shoes, and I never have. I do go barefoot around the house as much as possible, and even in the cold winter. My feet don't seem to get cold easily, which I am thankful for.

I love being able to feel the earth beneath my feet. I wear specific barefoot shoes in areas that require me to do so - but the soles are extremely thin and it feels like i'm walking barefoot! I love them!
I won't claim to be speaking for anyone but myself, but a preference for walking barefoot is part of what I am, as is a nature oriented paganism. Because I can touch the earth and feel it underneath me, because I like having that connection. Of course, in winter I can't walk barefoot for any distance (-30 C...), and a lot of places frown uppon the practice.
images/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gif

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 21 Jul 2012, 22:41

I rarely wear shoes, nor does my son or husband. Typically we only have them on when its required by a business that we're going to, otherwise its barefoot we go!
I've always thought it felt nice under the feet. I enjoy the temperature and textures I come across(with the exception of the occasional pile of dog poo), and feeling the living earth beneath me. Plus, I tend to be a scatterbrain and I don't want to go look for my shoes anyways...

aspiebabe

Postby aspiebabe » 22 Jul 2012, 04:17

Hello all,
I won't claim to be speaking for anyone but myself, but a preference for walking barefoot is part of what I am, as is a nature oriented paganism. Because I can touch the earth and feel it underneath me, because I like having that connection. Of course, in winter I can't walk barefoot for any distance (-30 C...), and a lot of places frown uppon the practice.
Thank you so much for the reply! I very much feel more connected to the earth when I go barefoot, or wear my special vibrum shoes. I have always felt connected to nature and just love being in it and connecting with it as much as possible! Thank you for sharing :)

Part of the reason I also like going barefoot is that I detest shoes and boots because I have a bone spur on the top of my foot that pintches a nerve. Going barefoot REALLY helps a great deal! I have also heard it's better for the body to go barefoot.

I also imagine when i'm walking or cycling the negative energy within me leaving through my feet and just floating away from me and I sometimes feel trapped when I'm wearing shoes, like the negative energy is stuck inside my shoes. Does that make sense at all? (forgive me as I am used to talking to Fundies and learning how to talk like an actual person ;)

Darby aka aspiebabe

samurai
OBOD Ovate

Postby samurai » 23 Jul 2012, 15:58

There was a documentary on last weekend about sports shoes and sports drinks, and they had stuff about barefoot running. Very interesting and positive towards barefoot running.

aspiebabe

Postby aspiebabe » 03 Aug 2012, 15:20

There was a documentary on last weekend about sports shoes and sports drinks, and they had stuff about barefoot running. Very interesting and positive towards barefoot running.
I have been told that there have been a lot of scientific evidence that bare-footing it especially good for your joints. I am sure it is true, however, I know one thing for sure - it's good for the soul! there is nothing like being connected to mother earth through our feet and touching this magical planet :)

apiebabe aka darby

solinari
OBOD Bard

Postby solinari » 04 Aug 2012, 18:05

there is always Vibram five fingers for times when you need to wear shoes :grin:
2008 LI
a voice inside another song...

My Myspace
My Deviant Art page

Kima
OBOD Bard

Postby Kima » 08 Aug 2012, 05:24

I would also recommend invisibleshoe.com for minimalist footwear (much cheaper than Vibram). But never use that as an excuse not to go completely barefoot!

I've done quite a bit of barefoot street walking and barefoot hiking, including on challenging mountain paths, since I started. I haven't sprained my ankle since I threw normal shoes away, when it used to happen several times a week. However I was in pain for a few weeks this summer with the old injuries playing up when I travelled around England. I tend to suffer from walking on hard surfaces too much, shoes or no shoes.

A couple of people have asked me about my feet and whether they feel ok. I could tell they were dying to kick off their shoes and were telling themselves "OMG, I could actually do it!"

Ravenwood

Postby Ravenwood » 26 Sep 2012, 01:56

I read a great book on the benefits of being barefoot. The book is titled Earthing: The Most Important Health Discovery Ever? by Clinton Ober, Stephen T. Sinatra, and Martin Zucker. The book goes into the scientific evidence and research proving that the more contact you have with the earth the better your overall health. Very interesting read.

Danaan
OBOD Druid

Postby Danaan » 26 Sep 2012, 04:57

We grew up going barefoot a lot, and we still go barefoot in our house and on porches and decks. But going barefoot outside doesn't work in the southeast US- it isn't safe if you're in any kind of natural area. The fire ants, thorns, briars, snakes, poison ivy, poison sumac, scorpions, spiders, unseen underground dens, and vines will all get you- even in mowed areas! I had a friend move here from Minnesota and she wanted to rake up small acorns on a lawn so she could walk her back yard barefoot for ritual; she hadn't had the multiple fire ant bites experience yet. I suggested flip flops and a keen eye instead. So as always, consider your environment!
Dana Wiyninger

Druid Companion

ImageImageImageImage2006 IL (Crafts), 2012 LI (Crafts, Photo, Ritual)

https://www.danaan.net

WhiteCrow
OBOD Bard

Postby WhiteCrow » 26 Sep 2012, 07:05

I'm always barefoot in the house, have done this since I was tiny. As soon as I'm in the door my shoes are kicked off. I go in the garden barefoot and out in the front yard to put the rubbish/recycling out.
In my younger days I often walked home barefoot after drunken nights out but the was usually because I had skyscraper heels on!
I hate wearing shoes, I love the feeling of the earth beneath my feet, it's so satisfying.

StephenThomas
OBOD Ovate

Postby StephenThomas » 26 Sep 2012, 11:13

I have been barefoot for years. I rarely wear them even in winter. Sure when it's snowing outside and I have to shovel the drive, I wear shoes. Inside, always barefoot.

People are always afraid they will step on something. In all my years of walking and running barefoot in town and out, I think I got some glass in my foot once. It isn't as big a problem as some think. Store owners can be a problem, a holdover from the hippie days, but there are no actual laws, at least in the US, against going barefoot in a store. Think about it, are you shoes any cleaner than if you were barefoot? I wash my feet. Do you wash your shoes?

Going barefoot is good for the sole and good for your soul. The grounding effect is wonderful and it strengthens the feet. Everyone should be barefoot as much as possible!
Steve (Grayhawk) /|\

ImageImage

Ses
OBOD Bard

Postby Ses » 26 Sep 2012, 15:49

I went barefooting today, got a rather few odd looks, one woman stopped me, and asked why I was doing it and hoped for my sake I didn't step on dog or horse poo. Was rather amusing! Feet hurt now though unfortunately it was quite gravelly today so my feet are rather red.

How is everyones else barefooting going?

Return to “Health and Healing”