My stuff is all messed up, Doc.

Discuss health and harmony of the body, spirit, the Earth, and environment...
Forum rules
Prior to administering anything, homeopathic or conventional to anyone's diet, pets especially, we feel that personal health history must be considered, and a medical professional should be consulted. There are many instances where even the most "harmless" additive has had contraindications and caused more harm than good. We believe everyone here is responsible and understands that, but it is important to re-state.
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Aoife
OBOD Bard

My stuff is all messed up, Doc.

Postby Aoife » 06 Sep 2013, 03:41

Hello!

I have epilepsy and while I want to stay on my medication for that (because it's not worth the risk to me) I also have problems with PTSD, depression, anxiety and the stress all these things bring. It doesn't matter if nothing wrong happened, I'm always dealing with it and the pills the doctor gives me doesn't really help, it just takes off the edge and I'm not sure what to do. I've tried exercise, meditation, writing about it, expressing it through art...it just seems like it's this icky part of me and I'm wondering if there are any herbs that would naturally help me. Thanks for any information!

Aigeann
OBOD Druid

Re: My stuff is all messed up, Doc.

Postby Aigeann » 06 Sep 2013, 20:24

First off (((BIG HUG)))

Secondly, have you been able to get a second opinion from another doc? I ask only because perhaps there is a new or different medicine out that may work better for you that your current doc hasn't learned about yet.

Have you had a complete check up recently in case you may be low in certain vitamins or minerals?

Do you have a friendly, social network for support? Are there people you can talk to, professionals or otherwise, that can give you suggestions? I am concerned because you mention PTSD that you may have something more going on that you need help with, someone outside yourself or your current experiences, that could help you.

As far as herbs, to me an obvious suggestion would be chamomile tea provided it doesn't cause a problem with your current medication or trigger an allergic reaction. The same with lavender and/or valerian . But these things are all so personal. What works for one, doesn't for another. For example, the scent of fenugreek seeds makes -me- happy.

Therefore, I'd also recommend exploring your local herb shop for teas, tonics and/or essential oils to experiment, carefully, to find what may bring relief. And/or the bulk organic section of a local grocery store.

I'll keep you in my thoughts.
ImageImage

Frenn
OBOD Bard

Postby Frenn » 06 Sep 2013, 21:02

I also have problems with PTSD, depression, anxiety and the stress all these things bring. It doesn't matter if nothing wrong happened, I'm always dealing with it and the pills the doctor gives me doesn't really help, it just takes off the edge and I'm not sure what to do. I've tried exercise, meditation, writing about it, expressing it through art...it just seems like it's this icky part of me
Aoife,

It would seem that we are suffering from the same problems (minus the epilepsy). I am not sure how long you have been suffering from these problems, but I can tell you that I have been on many different medications in the past, and it took 5 years to finally stop my hallucinations. To this day I still have problems with PTSD and general anxiety, and we are still constantly making minor modifications (we being my psyciatrist and myself). Those 5 years of persistent hallucinations were rough, but medication did finally do the trick.

Meditation often takes me to dark places I'd much rather forget, and having been shot in the back hasn't helped my exercise regimen. I have found, however, that yoga and chamomile tea in the mornings often lead to positive days for me.

The biggest help that I have found is to keep myself active within the limits of my disabilities, and to be diligent about taking my medications. Some days these medications leave me sitting around like a sack of Idaho potatoes, but even on those days, I still try to remain actively and positively engaged, whether it be playing my mandolin, or doing some reading in some light shade of my back yard.

I hope things get better for you. There was a time when I thought things wouldn't for myself, but in the end, I believe I have come out on top

6th Frenn of a Frenn

Cannot we let the morning be?

elementalheart
OBOD Druid

Postby elementalheart » 07 Sep 2013, 09:12

With you on the PTSD and anxiety, though I have no experience of epilepsy - it seems the medication for that is worth retaining but for the rest there are always alternatives, it just takes a while to find the right ones for you and sometimes those right ones change. The hassle of coming off one and breaking and starting another can be difficult and offputting, but perhaps it is a gift in terms of evaluating where you are now, before starting something else.

I found the bardic work deepened my former visitations to the causes and effects alike and gave me new avenues to explore the expression side. Maybe wherever you are in the gwersi is the right place for your next step, an element, a ritual, a poem, some few words in the pages that will guide you. And if you have done them all, maybe just dip in randomly and let the right one find you.

Camomile and lavender are staples in my house, valerian tea occasionally but not regularly. What works best for me is going outside and within my own physical limitations that can be 2 hours across the hillside, or a 10 minute walk to a grove of trees overlooking a loch where I can spend half an hour to an hour sitting or lying or standing as needed, or just a few trips down the garden and back throughout the day to avoid seizing up and just do some form of movement. Moving is processing, walking through an issue rather than into a wall with it, it's keeping going, and physiologically movement allows the hormones (stress, adrenaline build up etc) to disperse and fade since that's how the fight/flight mechanism works - so even a doctor can understand the language of what I am suggesting and doing myself!

When I am not in a good place, I simply move whenever and as much as I can and just endure those days where hopelessness and despair come visiting. I am grateful because I remember they used to live here for extended periods and now they have to knock and I choose to meet them outside the doors rather than invite them into my home. Whatever works for you, try again until you find a path. There is one, and there is truth in the saying may the road rise to meet your feet, it finds your step as long as you are moving your feet ready for it. A road that rises to feet that are stationary will create an earthquake feeling and scare you, but it may try if you're asking, better to walk I reckon.. Same as a treadmill when you turn the power on :wink:
Image Image 2013BS 2013LI 2013SB 2014IL 2014LI

Aoife
OBOD Bard

Postby Aoife » 11 Sep 2013, 07:04

Do you have a friendly, social network for support? Are there people you can talk to, professionals or otherwise, that can give you suggestions? I am concerned because you mention PTSD that you may have something more going on that you need help with, someone outside yourself or your current experiences, that could help you..
I have my boyfriend and my mom. My boyfriend is supportive in the most general sense and my mom has TBI herself and is a doctoral candidate in the field of traumatic brain injury so that's wonderful. She understands so completely it's great. As far as a professional one...no. I probably should but it's difficult for me. I feel like most people would have it worse than me and I'd feel shamed for complaining about something when they have it so much worse or if it's a one-on-one thing that the doctor person STILL wouldn't understand because they most likely wouldn't have it themselves...which is a problem I've run into a few times.
With you on the PTSD and anxiety, though I have no experience of epilepsy - it seems the medication for that is worth retaining but for the rest there are always alternatives, it just takes a while to find the right ones for you and sometimes those right ones change. The hassle of coming off one and breaking and starting another can be difficult and offputting, but perhaps it is a gift in terms of evaluating where you are now, before starting something else.

I found the bardic work deepened my former visitations to the causes and effects alike and gave me new avenues to explore the expression side. Maybe wherever you are in the gwersi is the right place for your next step, an element, a ritual, a poem, some few words in the pages that will guide you. And if you have done them all, maybe just dip in randomly and let the right one find you.

Camomile and lavender are staples in my house, valerian tea occasionally but not regularly. What works best for me is going outside and within my own physical limitations that can be 2 hours across the hillside, or a 10 minute walk to a grove of trees overlooking a loch where I can spend half an hour to an hour sitting or lying or standing as needed, or just a few trips down the garden and back throughout the day to avoid seizing up and just do some form of movement. Moving is processing, walking through an issue rather than into a wall with it, it's keeping going, and physiologically movement allows the hormones (stress, adrenaline build up etc) to disperse and fade since that's how the fight/flight mechanism works - so even a doctor can understand the language of what I am suggesting and doing myself!

When I am not in a good place, I simply move whenever and as much as I can and just endure those days where hopelessness and despair come visiting. I am grateful because I remember they used to live here for extended periods and now they have to knock and I choose to meet them outside the doors rather than invite them into my home. Whatever works for you, try again until you find a path. There is one, and there is truth in the saying may the road rise to meet your feet, it finds your step as long as you are moving your feet ready for it. A road that rises to feet that are stationary will create an earthquake feeling and scare you, but it may try if you're asking, better to walk I reckon.. Same as a treadmill when you turn the power on :wink:
I've tried the creative route and a bit of aroma therapy, and all the regulars but nothing seems to help for long. I wonder if my brain chemistry is changing or if I just haven't found the right stuff. :blink:

Mannan

Postby Mannan » 11 May 2014, 10:48

Healing is a slow process and a bit of a discipline*. We tend to deal with our inner worries by fretting over them and picking at them. Being 'in the cure' of a healer can help this, but 'doctors' are not necessarily always healers in this sense. Having a structure or program to follow as a patient allows one to de-focus from the fretting and therefore from interfering with the natural healing processes. Modern medicine can be something of a commodity-based enterprise, and doctors are not always healers within this framework. A wise modern doctor who understands the principles of a healer is a precious thing.
For you, I think the answer to coming to terms with your feelings of dis-ease would be to continue on your path of seeking structure and the activity of learning. You may find this easier being in the cure of a 'healer', but this is sometimes best to be a person outside of your family and friend circle - they should be professional and trustworthy, but they do not have to be a 'conventional' healer.
*A 'discipline' is something practised by a 'disciple' - someone who has given them self over to guidance and instruction. Being a disciple lifts the burden of responsibility which is often in part the cause of dis-ease.

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 11 May 2014, 12:13

Hello!

I have epilepsy and while I want to stay on my medication for that (because it's not worth the risk to me) I also have problems with PTSD, depression, anxiety and the stress all these things bring. It doesn't matter if nothing wrong happened, I'm always dealing with it and the pills the doctor gives me doesn't really help, it just takes off the edge and I'm not sure what to do. I've tried exercise, meditation, writing about it, expressing it through art...it just seems like it's this icky part of me and I'm wondering if there are any herbs that would naturally help me. Thanks for any information!
Hi Aoife,
My wife is the same, I'm her "carer". The National Epilepsy Centre in Chalfont (UK) is doing cutting edge research in the kind of intransigent epilepsy you describe, and I see at home on a daily basis. She is assisting with a UCL study based there. With her I see depression, and fits of terrible anger caused by the brain trauma of seizures both minor and major. I see the pills taking the edge off the fits but not stopping them. I see the pills being addictive and having side effects both physical and neurological. Exhaustion. Lack of will to get things done. And also I see her own agonizing uncertainty over whether what she has is serious -"am I being pathetic? Surely I could stop this if I could just get the will power?". I also see the triumphant woman who is very intelligent, beautiful, fundamentally right-thinking and funny, and whom I adore all the time :) although because of one thing or another she's only really there about half the time.

From the view of (very top) UK medics that we've spoken to, and my own close but inexpert observation, most of the things you describe come ultimately from the epilepsy. It seems to be genetic in my wife's case, and that is the hypothesis of the aforementioned study. We know of no helpful herbal remedy I'm afraid *xcep chocolate*, and her experience is that the pills are certainly the best way despite the side effects. It's really harsh, but by enjoying the good moments and bearing the black times we muddle on and achieve much, both together and on our own accounts too. There is love. There is meaning to life. :D

Huge sympathy, and I hope this is helpful.
S
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 25 Jun 2014, 21:16

Aoife,,I wish you and I could just talk for a few mins,,,First ,,, everything that's happening with YOU is normal and its out of step with the rest of THEM,,, please if you can contact me,,,my voice to your ears
Through my eyes you still see,, Through my heart you still live ,, For as long as i have breath you will sing,,Thanks Mom

LadyAoftheshire
OBOD Ovate

Postby LadyAoftheshire » 28 Jun 2014, 11:38

Perhaps seek out an anthroposophic doctor. I see one for Severe PTSD (which manifests as depression/anxiety) etc. They are a medical doctor with training in herbs, homeopathy etc. I have had some success with the treatment, which I'm doing in conjunction with a good counsellor/psych.
I have autoimmune disorders (plus a few other things) and I have been prescribed a form of Mistletoe as it is useful for autoimmune and also depression.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.- Davinci
Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow" Mary Anne Radmacher

Return to “Health and Healing”