Body Dismorphic Disorder

Discuss health and harmony of the body, spirit, the Earth, and environment...
Forum rules
Prior to administering anything, homeopathic or conventional to anyone's diet, pets especially, we feel that personal health history must be considered, and a medical professional should be consulted. There are many instances where even the most "harmless" additive has had contraindications and caused more harm than good. We believe everyone here is responsible and understands that, but it is important to re-state.
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Chenzen
OBOD Bard

Body Dismorphic Disorder

Postby Chenzen » 14 Feb 2014, 17:08

Has anyone ever been diagnosed with this? I recently was and am very concerned because there isnt really any treatment for this disorder. Any advice would be appreciated

elementalheart
OBOD Druid

Re: Body Dismorphic Disorder

Postby elementalheart » 14 Feb 2014, 17:32

I don't have that diagnosis but immediately can't help but wonder who diagnosed this condition for you and what treatment or other recommendations they made? It is very hard to think that anyone with the qualifications, experience and skills to make a formal diagnosis of this disorder would tell you it is completely untreatable, but it isn't something that has a quick fix cure if that's what you mean?

Working with disorders is difficult, long term and requires commitment to a path woven from available options, whether it be a therapeutic relationship of some kind, medication (conventional or alternative), or a spiritual discipline that focuses on recognition, acceptance and seeking to transcend all prior conditioning and labels through inner work. If you're lucky, you already have access to most or all of those options. Medication may not be effective in reducing symptoms if that's what you mean by treatment (and I don't know enough on prescribing to confirm or argue that), but you should most certainly consider therapeutic options and you already have a spiritual path.. I don't believe in the "no option" scenario, only the "no options currently seen" or "options currently seen are not acceptable" versions.

Don't give up, that's my advice.
Image Image Image

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 15 Feb 2014, 07:26

I can up until some degree understand what you are going through.

The only advise I feel safe giving you is to always stay true to your own instinct. Never follow anyones advise, whether doctor's nor layperson's, if it somehow feels completely "off" to you. BDD is an umbrella-term and a lot of misunderstanding exists. Your BDD and the way it affects you is unique, and only you know how it feels. Do your own research, be critical but open. Whenever pursuing an avenue of "therapy" take care to stay true to your own compass. And don't expect anyone else to be able to solve things for you. There are a lot of wellwilling, skilled and trustworthy people out there able to help you, but none can do the things you need to do yourselves.

Best wishes :hug:
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Postby Whitemane » 24 Feb 2014, 21:51

In the sense that there isn't a two week course of pills you can take, then maybe it is untreatable, but according to this: http://www.adaa.org/understanding-anxie ... sorder-bdd, which is from the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, both cognitive and anti-depressant therapy are helpful. There is also a simple questionnaire which can be used to estimated the risk for BDD, but that is not be used for diagnosis.

I would ask for a second opinion from an independent source.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

plaidcat
OBOD Bard

Postby plaidcat » 27 Feb 2014, 17:50

Look for a new doctor.

Any psychiatrist/ologist who says there is "no treatment" for a psychiatric condition is full of bologna. I know that BDD can easily be tied up with eating disorders, which are very treatable and manageable. I used to suffer from depression and self-injury, and through therapy, life changes, and time, I have largely "recovered." However, the possibility is always there; just like addiction, you are always "recovering" from this sort of thing. I know my triggers, and I work hard to eliminate negativity from my life, including having had to cut/reduce difficult relationships from my life. Your doctor may have meant that there is no cure, or finality. It is a thing you will have to work on and be aware of for your whole life, but it is a thing you can learn to reduce and manage.
Kestrel ~ Kayla

Image Image

Return to “Health and Healing”