Hair loss

Discuss health and harmony of the body, spirit, the Earth, and environment...
Forum rules
Prior to administering anything, homeopathic or conventional to anyone's diet, pets especially, we feel that personal health history must be considered, and a medical professional should be consulted. There are many instances where even the most "harmless" additive has had contraindications and caused more harm than good. We believe everyone here is responsible and understands that, but it is important to re-state.
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
samurai
OBOD Ovate

Hair loss

Postby samurai » 25 Feb 2014, 18:24

Over the past couple of months my partner has started to get hair,intially a small patch,but now it is growing. She has been to the doctors,and they can find no problems. This is causing her great distress,(she has lovely long black hair).
I'm going to try some regular reiki,then if no improvement or at least it stops spreading.Not sure what. Any suggestions?I have intially a background in wicca,so may be a spell. At a loss.Help?

Oakapple
OBOD Druid

Re: Hair loss

Postby Oakapple » 25 Feb 2014, 19:32

The first thing that came to my mind was has she been checked out for thyroid problems? I know hair loss can be associated with that.
I'm sure you will get lots more suggestions, mundane and otherwise.
Hope she gets it sorted out soon.

Nothing's forgotten......nothing is ever forgotten

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 25 Feb 2014, 20:09

Difficult to offer information until there is a diagnosis, so I'd urge your partner to seek medical advice first ( this may involve going to see a different doctor if you got little joy from the first one) before you try any treatment. All good wishes and best of luck with it.

Reuils
OBOD Bard

Postby Reuils » 25 Feb 2014, 20:13

Is the hair growing back it's usual colour or white/grey ?
It could be Alopecia,which tends to be stress related ,a dermatologist should be able to help

samurai
OBOD Ovate

Postby samurai » 25 Feb 2014, 20:42

We are waiting on blood tests results,which could show thyroid problem,but there are no other symptoms,so that is along shot.
The bald patch is growing,with no hair growing back.She is getting scared to brush or wash her hair.
It may be a little stress related. I had a chest x ray before xmas,which intially got her stressed and the bald patch appeared,but it came to nothing. But my partner did think the worse while we were waiting for results. But the bald patch has kept growing.

Fire oak
OBOD Ovate

Postby Fire oak » 25 Feb 2014, 21:19

As you do Reiki have you tried working on your partner, not on the hair loss but on her whole body to release the shock and stress from her system. If it began with the fear connected with your X-ray it is possible she is holding this still. While holding on to stress it's hard for the body to heal.
Fire Oak

ImageImage

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 26 Feb 2014, 06:39

I have had severe problems with losing hair, but my hair thinned out and it fell off over the whole head. I think I lost 2/3s of what I originally had.

The doctors, and the hairdressers said to me that as long as it doesn't fall off in patches it certainly is not Alopecia. It seems to me that her hair fall off in patches? If this is so I really would have asked them to check out the Alopecia thing.

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 26 Feb 2014, 14:25

The fear of losing your long hair alone might be enough stress to cause your hair to fall out.

As said: get a full medical checkup to rule out any serious underlying medical issues. A skinscraping might be done to rule out a fungal infection, ringworm or candida might also cause circular patchy hairloss.

As long as there is no cause known i.e. serious potential causes aren't ruled out I don't think it's advised to start herbal or nutritional therapies. Reiki shouldn't do harm. Another thing that might help and is GRAS is EFT/meridian tapping. This can be done on both the actual hairloss as well as the emotions caused by the hairloss.

Best wishes to you both!
:hug:
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

samurai
OBOD Ovate

Postby samurai » 26 Feb 2014, 14:50

Blood test results,will be next week.So then hopefully we'll have a better picture.I did reiki last night,and we'll take it from there. Thank you all for you're caring comments.

Reuils
OBOD Bard

Postby Reuils » 27 Feb 2014, 21:28

There are two types of Alopecia
One where you lose all your hair, Alopecia Totalis .The second where you lose small patches of hair,which happily regrow ,but not necessarily the original colour ,reducing the stress is the main factor

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 28 Feb 2014, 06:51

Thank you for the information, Reuils.

I did not know about the Totalis variant of the Alopecia. I will check that out.

samurai
OBOD Ovate

Postby samurai » 28 Feb 2014, 16:03

I too did'nt know there are two types

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 01 Mar 2014, 07:57

I am very interested to hear how things are going with you, Samurai.

I have had two incidents with major hair loss, I almost lost everything, but not all. The loss occured all over the scalp. I have had many periods with minor hair losses, but I have always thought of them as normal, only that I lose a little more than other people. My dad and my aunt has Alopecia, both the patch-variant. That probably makes me genetically disposed. The first time I lost so much that I got scared was when my son was eight months old. He had been sick since birth and we all were so sleep-deprived and anxious about his health. The second time I almost lost everything was for almost a year ago when I got sick with gall stone attacks. I had approximately three to four hard attacks pr week and I soon had complications with infections. I was in a lot of pain over a long time, and very anxious about getting the attacks. My condition gave strange results on blood-tests, they found a lesion on my liver and my heart was not beating normally, and a lot of scary stuff. I lost almost all my hair, and a lot of weight.

The doctors' association in Norway has an article about it where they say that they don't quite know the reasons for the disease but that they think that genetic disposed people can lose hair when they are exposed for a lot of stress. The article is in Norwegian, but if anyone is interested you can always google translate it:
http://tidsskriftet.no/article/529758/

My hair has always grown out again, but it is not funny when you comb your hair and most of it is left in the hairbrush afterwards.

samurai
OBOD Ovate

Postby samurai » 01 Mar 2014, 17:07

My partner is keeping her chin up,but i think if more comes out she's gonna get vey distressed

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 02 Mar 2014, 10:10

Good luck to your partner :)

samurai
OBOD Ovate

Postby samurai » 07 Mar 2014, 16:08

Blood tests fine,the doctor assumes its stress related.Easier cured than done.

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 08 Mar 2014, 07:53

Well, that's what they said to me as well.

I just don't understand how stress can make one lose almost all one's hair, but it probably can, so...
I am happy to hear that all the blood tests were fine. The hair will eventually come back.

Do they see if a patient has Alopecia on blood tests?

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 08 Mar 2014, 12:19

My hair fell out in patches when I was 14 and had to undergo a series of operations, six in a year. It was stress induced and I was diagnosed with alopecia areata. I just wanted to reassure you that my hair came back, in all its glory a little while later.So there is hope, maybe getting to the bottom of the stress will help.

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 08 Mar 2014, 16:22

Best Wishes to your wife Samurai...

Dealing with stress is a hard path, but worth it in the end. Since hair is associated with power and stress robs us of our power, it might truly fit the bill. I hope she finds calm, healing and regrowth in all aspects of her life.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

samurai
OBOD Ovate

Postby samurai » 25 Mar 2014, 17:08

I read somewhere that nettle juice can help with scalp and hair condition.Has anyone else heard this? What would be the best way to exact the juice?Pestle and mortar,or would a tea infusion work? Any views or ideas?

Return to “Health and Healing”