Yoga advice appreciated

Discuss health and harmony of the body, spirit, the Earth, and environment...
Forum rules
Prior to administering anything, homeopathic or conventional to anyone's diet, pets especially, we feel that personal health history must be considered, and a medical professional should be consulted. There are many instances where even the most "harmless" additive has had contraindications and caused more harm than good. We believe everyone here is responsible and understands that, but it is important to re-state.
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Crinia
OBOD Ovate

Yoga advice appreciated

Postby Crinia » 11 Mar 2014, 10:22

I would like to start practicing yoga.
Can anyone recommend some good resources for a beginner (I can't touch my toes). I tried learning salute to the sun and found it difficult I need something a little easier to start with. I'm after stretching and relaxation exercises.
The nearest Yoga class is a 100km round trip at night which doesn't appeal to me. I don't own a TV or a DVD drive for my computer so DVD aren't an option. (That's all the excuses out of the way as to why I haven't started already).
Thanks in advance
Crinia
Gun Toiseach - Gun Crioch

Oakapple
OBOD Druid

Re: Yoga advice appreciated

Postby Oakapple » 11 Mar 2014, 11:45

My daughter is a beginner at yoga,she's never been to a class. She searched "beginner yoga" on youtube, and likes this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCYCKO4XX9Ubeginner

Hope that's a possibility for you.

Nothing's forgotten......nothing is ever forgotten

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 11 Mar 2014, 12:57

Although yoga-purists might cringe, I've found that the Nintendo WII-fit-plus game with the balanceboard offers good feedback on balance. There are some 24 yoga-exercises you can do and although I attend yogaclass I still enjoy the game. Around here game-consoles with accessoires are readily available secondhand, since the game is a few years old already.

Edit: I missed your remark about not owning a TV... I don't know if the WII can be hooked up to a PC...
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 12 Mar 2014, 06:28

I joined a yoga weekend some years ago, and that was for absolute beginners.

We spent a whole weekend on a yoga-school and learnt the basic positions, and had experienced help from great instructors.
When the weekend was over we got papers with drawings and instructions to remind us of how everything was to be done, and we could go home with a 15-minutes daily program to follow that we could build further upon if we wanted to.

Maybe the nearest yoga-school to you arranges something like this every now and then? Then you would get away with the long distance travelling once and you could do the rest at home in your own living room.

Cosmic Ash
OBOD Druid

Postby Cosmic Ash » 12 Mar 2014, 09:54

There are also online Yoga classes, though mainly subscription based. I've been trying out Yogaglo.com. They have a lot of beginner level classes and offer a free 15 day trial.
I used to use yogatoday.com when they offered a free class every day, which then became a free class every week, and now nothing is free. Their classes are all high quality, but even the beginner ones are quite challenging. The main reason I started looking for other classes was that they mainly offer 60 minute classes and I needed some shorter ones as I often don't have time for a full hour class these days.
There are other similar services, these are just the two I've tried so far.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 12 Mar 2014, 13:48

I think the key is daily practice. I learnt Yoga from a few books and have never been to a class.
The reason I learnt is that after years of riding/racing a bike and a desk (the 2 worst things to tighten your hamstrings) my back gave out. I'd never done proper stretching.
Cue several weeks unable to move, all the cycling websites said Yoga will fix it.

When I started I'd never (in my life) been able to touch my toes. My back was in constant pain and restricted my ability to perform the Asana's. I pushed hard, although you need to understand the difference between 'stretchy' pain which is good and 'stabby' pain which is bad.
Good pain means hold the position for a few breaths to let the muscles lengthen, stabby pain means stop the movement and rest a little before moving to the next Asana.

After a year of daily practice I touched my toes and can now put my hands flat on the floor whilst keepin a good posture. It took a couple of years work, with that stretchy/stabby pain awareness, before I could complete the Ustrasana/Camel Pose.

So what I am saying is that it can work, be optimistic that with effort comes rewards.
For a beginner I would suggest Hatha Yoga
http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/styles-of-yo ... a-yoga.asp

It's also essential to remember the 2 other parts of Yoga - Meditation and Breathing
http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/pranayama/
http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/meditation/

And to complete this massive (overlong?) post I'll add in the details of my daily Asana's (Meditation is as per the OBOD course - done separately) which you should be able to Google.
Basic = is done everyday no matter what
Extended = is done most days but cut out if I don't have time
Druidic = means I have incorporated some Druidry into it
Complete = finishes my Basic practice but occassionally miss it out

Morning - Basic
Druidic - Vitruvian Man : welcome the morning, awaken breathing
Tadasana (Mountain Pose)
Padangusthasana (Big Toe Pose)
Urdhva Hastasana (Upward Salute)
Ardha Uttanasana (Standing Half Forward Bend)
Ardha Chandrasana (Crescent Moon Side Bend)

Sun Salutation : Face the east
The eight basic postures, in order of performance, are:
Tadasana (Mountain Pose)
Urdhva Hastasana (Upward Salute)
Uttanasana (Standing Forward Bend)
Lunge
Plank
Chaturanga Dandasana (Four-Limbed Staff Pose)
Urdhva Mukha Svanasana (Upward-Facing Dog Pose)
Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward-Facing Dog Pose)

Morning - Extended
Virabhadrasana II (Warrior II Pose) Archer
Virabhadrasana II (Warrior II Pose)
Utthita Parsvakonasana (Extended Side Angle Pose)
Utthita Trikonasana (Extended Triangle Pose)
Prasarita Padottanasana (Wide-Legged Forward Bend)
Uddiyana Bandha (Upward Abdominal Lock)
Vrksasana (Tree pose) Druidic (close appropriate eye)
Natarajasana (Lord of the Dance Pose)
Utthita Hasta Padangustasana (Extended Hand-To-Big-Toe Pose)
Garudasana (Eagle Pose)

Morning - Complete
Ustrasana (Camel Pose) + Balasana (Child's Pose)
Marichyasana III (Marichi's Pose)
Dandasana (Staff Pose)
Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend)
Ananda Balasana (Happy Baby Pose)
Paripurna Navasana (Full Boat Pose)
Ardha Matyendrasana (the half spinal twist)
Supine Maltese Cross leg stretches
Supta Padangusthasana (Reclining Big Toe Pose)
Salamba Sarvangasana (Supported Shoulderstand)

Evening - Basic
Virasana (Hero Pose)
Marjaryasana (Cat Pose)
Bitilasana (Cow Pose)
Balasana (Child's Pose)
Setu Bandha Sarvangasana (Bridge Pose)
Gomukhasana (Cow Face Pose)

Evening - Extended
Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward-Facing Dog)
Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
Virabhadrasana I (Warrior I Pose)
Bhekasana (Frog Pose)
Janu Sirsasana (Head-to-Knee Forward Bend)
Baddha Konasana (Bound Angle Pose)

Evening - Complete
Pranayama
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Crinia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Crinia » 13 Mar 2014, 10:27

Thanks for all those suggestions everyone. Looks like I have a go at everything and see what works for me.
I hadn't thought of developing my own routine and incorporating it into my morning and evening meditation and prayer practices rather than following someone elses routine. I might start by collecting 7 morning poses and 7 evening poses that I can do and go from there.

Cosmic Ash
OBOD Druid

Postby Cosmic Ash » 13 Mar 2014, 11:57

The yogajournal website has a cool list of poses with pictures and instructions, and also a sequence builder which allows you to build your own sequence with pictures of poses. There's lots of useful info and articles too. Might be worth a look. :)

plaidcat
OBOD Bard

Postby plaidcat » 16 Mar 2014, 22:20

Dang, I was going to say something, but then I read DarC's post. Awesome advice!!

The only other thing I could say is that you might check with any kind of local community centers, or your city's parks and rec department. In my city they have a really robust community fitness campaign, and they have tons of free fitness classes at the various city parks. I absolutely love what yoga does for my flexibility and core strength.
Kestrel ~ Kayla

Image Image

Crinia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Crinia » 17 Mar 2014, 10:14

Well I've started learning some postures - childs pose and downward dog, neither of which I can do correctly. The youtube video Oakapple recommended helps as they show you beginners poses if you don't have flexibility yet for the full pose. I'll add another pose tomorrow. The shoulders feel really good after being stretched. I'm including this with my evening prayer and contemplation time.

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 19 Mar 2014, 06:00

Oh, this thread really inspired me. I think I have to start up with a short yoga program again.

*running upstairs to find my old an dusty instructions on yoga for beginners*

Return to “Health and Healing”