Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

Discuss health and harmony of the body, spirit, the Earth, and environment...
Forum rules
Prior to administering anything, homeopathic or conventional to anyone's diet, pets especially, we feel that personal health history must be considered, and a medical professional should be consulted. There are many instances where even the most "harmless" additive has had contraindications and caused more harm than good. We believe everyone here is responsible and understands that, but it is important to re-state.
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
amethyst2513
OBOD Bard

Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

Postby amethyst2513 » 25 Mar 2015, 14:59

Hello everyone. I just joined the forums and have been browsing around... I know I should have made an intro post in another forum probably (and maybe I'll do that later), but I stumbled across this forum and just felt the need to post.

I did a quick search but was surprised to not find any topics on this disease yet, so I though I'd start one. I was diagnosed about a year ago and have been doing well with steroids to treat the relapses and other medication to stave off the relapses in the first place. I've had about 5 relapses during the last year and they are at least getting farther and farther apart. I know that diet is supposed to help with controlling the relapses as well, but I feel that I'm not likely going to radically change my eating habits anytime soon, lol. I like my pizza and fast food too much!

I was going through my Bardic course materials and was introduced to the Light Body meditation, along with a fairly thorough description of why we do it and how it works and can help us, etc... One thing that caught my ear was that it supposedly helps with the nervous system. Does anybody have experience with that statement? What are your thoughts on the Light Body meditation (with possible refinements and focusing elements) as a treatment for multiple sclerosis? Obviously I wouldn't want to just stop all other treatments at this time, but as a supplemental treatment at least. Or, does anybody have any other suggestions for meditations or exercises that would benefit someone with MS?

Hennie
OBOD Druid

Re: Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

Postby Hennie » 25 Mar 2015, 15:22

I would suggest that the Light Body can help you very much in accepting and as joyfully is possible undergoing what is happening to you. Though I'd immediately would add that you must not expect any curative results from this practise.

Blessings,
Hennie

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 25 Mar 2015, 22:06

The idea of the Light Body is to improve connection to and communication with the body, which I don't think would work as a cure but could have therapeutic effects that could counteract the effects of MS. Whatever it does, it's worth a try. Personally, I prefer to feel the energy rising rather than visualising it (less abstract), but go with what works best for you. :)

what form do you have? My mum has been diagnosed almost 30 years, but has got away with the worst of it, although in recent years she's been getting more tired. I hope your treatments go well. :)

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 27 Mar 2015, 08:44

A good friend of mine is suffering from this disease in the worst sense: she's early thirties, yet wheelchairbound, even in her home. Loss of vision and motorcontrol are hard to digest. She's living with her husband in a care-home normally reserved for the elderly. Ten years ago we would go horsebackriding together, dreaming of our futures... :-(

It's a complex monster with many, individual, spiritual, energetic, genetic, psychological and physical aspects. One needs to unravel all these paths and influences for him/herself when they are ready to face them. Sadly, the non-reversability of the disease makes for a pressing feeling of time. Function lost in a shub, is often not easily reclaimed afterwards, if at all.
I know that diet is supposed to help with controlling the relapses as well, but I feel that I'm not likely going to radically change my eating habits anytime soon, lol. I like my pizza and fast food too much!
You know yourselves best and I agree that enjoyable food can be a safetyhaven. Changing a diet because "you have to" never works, even to save your life. But in reality diet is a HUGE factor here and I'd encourage you to investigate the links for yourselves. Even slight food-intolerancies can trigger setbacks. MSG and other additives may trigger the immunesystem falsely, adding to the inflamatory stages of the disease. Without changing radically, try making babysteps... every change made for the better is a big accomplishment.

When visualising, I'd suggest trying to "see" what's going on in your body. How's your nervous system doing? Are there inflamations? Do they take a certain form and colour? Are there relations between your bodily state and emotions, events or memories? Learning to communicate with your body on this level is something I can highly encourage.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

amethyst2513
OBOD Bard

Postby amethyst2513 » 27 Mar 2015, 14:21

Thank you all for the thoughts and advice. I am so sorry to hear about your friend Shadowcat, she's my age it sounds like. My wife is terrified that I'll end up like that too, and I might, but I don't let the unknown future frighten me if I can help it. Today is the only day I can really do anything about after all. Of course I plan for the future though, we can't afford not to. Found out a few weeks ago that we're having a baby around September, so I do think more about the future now than ever before I have to admit.

Treegod, I believe I have the standard relapsing-remitting variety. I seem to make about a 95% recovery between relapses. Mostly the relapses have affected my ability to feel and walk (had to use a cane for several months), but they have also affected my vision with cloudiness, increased pressure, pain and even some double-vision. I'd call myself lucky that that's all, but the doctors seem more worried than I do, lol.

I know I need to work on cutting out some thing and adding others to my diet, even if I don't make a radical change overnight. It's just healthy living after all. I'm just stubborn and don't know why. :shrug:

I've had some affinity for energy work and manipulation for years now, but I've neglected it and haven't developed it as I should. Maybe combining that and the Light Body exercise is a good place to start, to help identify the patterns/colors in my own body now that I've been diagnosed. Then maybe I can start to improve things.

mattik1313
OBOD Bard

Postby mattik1313 » 23 Aug 2015, 14:35

Hi Amethyst :)

***Standard Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, blah blah blah Take what I say with a grain of salt.***

I am a Massage Therapist, and I had a client with MS for a while. He is in his 70's, and has taken really good care of himself (leans towards vegetarianism, although not always, exercises daily, doesn't drink or smoke, etc). He would get regular weekly massages, especially his legs, so that he could go for walks with his wife without the use of a cane. Massage might be something to look into. Especially a technique called "Active Release," which is sort of a blend between standard massage and physical therapy. It works wonders!
Under the Trees,
/|\ Matthew Ikonen-Loskowski
(aka: Kowann Blyth)

We are the Dead reborn ~ We are the Ancestors.

Return to “Health and Healing”