Bee / Beach

Subforum for the study of the Druid Animal Oracle
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Abhaill
OBOD Ovate

Bee / Beach

Postby Abhaill » 12 Aug 2007, 00:47

I know we haven't started Bee yet, but I have to return this book soon and I wanted to share the Manx bee lore recorded in it before I do.  The following information was first published nearly 100 years ago in Sophia Morrison's collection, Manx Fairy Tales:

Bee Lore

WHEN the head of the house dies, the bees must be told of it, or else they will go away and never return.  The way to tell them is to rap three times on each hive and say, ' Himself is dead' or ' The mistress is jus' gone,' as the case might be.  A confused murmuring of recognition may be heard in the hives in reply.  Some people convey the news by tieing a bit of crape to their hives, but to rap is best.  One woman told ' Yes yah ! all me bees are dead and gone.  Ye see, no one give a thought to tell them when me man died, for he went so sudden like that we war all knocked fud-y-cheilley (through others).  Bees always sarve ye that way, they tell me, if they are not toul' of the death ; they did me, anyway.'
  Bees are said to be fond of noise made by metal ; so it is customary, when they swarm, to clash two pieces of metal together, for then they will stop to listen, clustering closely and not go far afield before settling and this saves the beekeeper much work.  If a bee comes indoors it is lucky, so is it to catch the first bee you see in the year, for if you put it in your purse and keep it there, so long will you have money.
  Bees also serve as a barometer, for if when taking flight from the hive they fly high it is sure to be a fine day ; if but a few bees come out of the hive and fly low, the day will be wet.
  It is said that on old Christmas night at twelve o'clock the bees may be heard humming praises in memory of the Saviour's birth, that the three-year-old bullock kneels down in worship, for Christ was born in a stall and the myrrh comes out in flower.  I have heard people say that they have heard the bees and seen the myrrh come out in flower at that time, and that they have picked the bloom and brought it into the house with them to convince any sceptical person who might be there.
  There is a curious vitality in popular beliefs.  This Manx bee-lore is thoroughly classical.  The Greeks conceived a wealth of poetical imagery and symbolism round the bee.  They considered the bee a type of the soul.  In some of the most beautiful of the Greek myths may be found the association of bees with the idea of death, their pleasure in the sound of brass, or music, and the good omen of their appearance.

~ Abhaill
Image :violinist: :fire:

The basis of druid tradition:
To honour the gods,
To do no evil, and
To practice bravery.

~ attributed to Diogenes Laertius (fl. CE 225/250)
from Peter Berresford Ellis' A Brief History of the Druids

My avatar is a print called, 'Screech Owl in Apple Tree,' by Robert Bateman

Tynan Elder Oak
OBOD Druid

Postby Tynan Elder Oak » 19 Aug 2007, 19:41

Hi... in our village in warwickshire where I lived a long time an old man kept bees and would always go down to the hives in the morning ans tell the bees what weas the latest news, including deaths etc... when he dies every hive swarmed and left !

Willowen
OBOD Bard

Re: Bee / Beach

Postby Willowen » 24 Feb 2014, 20:14

Greetings,
I am back to working with the cards again, and I must say I am amazed at how much they apply to my life when I draw them. I drew the Bee card reversed today. "This card may indicate that you are feeling out of place--unsure of your role in the world...You may need some bee medicine...You may need to prod yourself into action before others do the prodding for you."
Isolation for whatever the reason can lead to self pity, negativity, and a whole host of other nasty behaviors. :gloomy: When one feels this way it is of great benefit to remember the "Celebration of Life and an inner recognition of our membership of the community of all nature."
Physical isolation does not mean that you still can't work hard to be part of the community. A person may have to work a little harder at it, but with the Internet I think it is possible to still reach out and make a difference in the world, even if you only touch the life of one person.
"Remember that the bee knows the value of organization, of paying homage to the Goddess and the sun, and of working hard," (p. 111). I have a lot of work to do, but I am thinking making a list of achievable goals every day is a good place to start. Heavy emphasis on making goals achievable and not becoming overwhelmed. :)
"The Way itself is a strengthening of spirit, a growing closer to the balance that governs the world. Progress is slow along the Way, but every step of the journey is like a note in the oldest tune of all. When you have the tune complete, you complete yourself." from Moonheart by Charles De Lint

Return to “Druid Animal Oracle (DAO) Study Group”