Just bought the DAO

Subforum for the study of the Druid Animal Oracle
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Boadicea
OBOD Bard

Just bought the DAO

Postby Boadicea » 04 Apr 2012, 10:34

I just bought the DAO - the copy that comes with the big guidebook as well as the cards. How do you all feel about this oracle set? It is nice? How would you compare it to other Druidic divination? (Note: I'm familiar with the Ogam and own my own set as well as a set of sky stones plus The Greenman Tree Oracle). I'd love to hear about everyone's experiences with this oracle ;)

Thanks!

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Re: Just bought the DAO

Postby Lily » 04 Apr 2012, 11:24

Love the imagery, as with Ogham I would use it for big theme draws, e.g. a year card -

for a detailed reading I would prefer the tarot.
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

Crinia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Crinia » 09 Apr 2012, 07:31

Hello

I have have been using the DAO for myself with great results with requests for guidance.
I have tried using it for other people without much success. With readings for other people I need to use tarot cards.

Crinia
Gun Toiseach - Gun Crioch

Lialea
OBOD Ovate

Postby Lialea » 25 Aug 2012, 19:31

Hi there,
I have the DAO set for a long time, but only just resently started to use it again.
There is much thought in the design of the cards. Also I rather like them as large as they are compared with normal cards from e.g. canasta or rommé.
I do not ask questions depending my or other peoples future. In fact, I only use them for myself right now.
So I formulate a question around some topics which bother or concern my on a daily basis.

So far, every time I drew the cards I found really inspiring thoughts, an idea or suggestion I could work with and also related to the question.

Some off topic question, as you bought them recently, if you do not mind.
In the accompanying book, are there the festivals adjusted? (like Alban Hefin <-> Alban Heruin)

Greetings and blessed be
Lia

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 31 Jan 2013, 04:55

I've had my deck for a bit, but I feel called to learn a bit more of my cards. Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to use them, how to learn them, and what the deck is good for, and what it is not?

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 31 Jan 2013, 08:05

I sometimes use the DAO as a supplement to the Tarot court cards. They can give me more information about the personality of a person in a reading.

GreenOak51
OBOD Ovate

Postby GreenOak51 » 08 Feb 2013, 06:38

I've had my DAO set for a few years now and we are old friends.

(I also have a Celtic Tarot deck, the DruidCraft Tarot deck, runes, the Druid Plant Oracle as well as my pendulums.)

I sort of agree that they cannot (?) give you details but then that depends on the details that you're looking for, the spread that you use, the questions that you ask and, as with all decks, how well they speak to you.

I have had great success in doing readings for myself and for others. Though I tend to keep my questions simple, as I do my spreads. One question that I like to ask is: What do I need to know? What message do you have for me? I ask this when I have a lot of things that I could be searching for answers on but am leaving it to the universe to know what will best serve me now. A card or cards will be presented and when it/they are, I know exactly which situation or situations it/they are in response to. The only thing I would caution here is as with all divination, open your mind and your heart and be careful you aren't reading what you want to into the responses.

I'll say that I had a difficult time every time seal came up for the first little while. It seemed that nothing was in my life for which seal was a way out, a suggestion, a response I could use. Of course now that I know my cards and they know me, when seal comes up I understand. :D

Peace,
T
/|\
Every blade of grass has its angel bending over it whispering "grow, grow!" ~~ The Talmud

Return to “Druid Animal Oracle (DAO) Study Group”