New deck, ready to connect

Subforum for the study of the Druid Animal Oracle
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
PeteBranduir
OBOD Bard

New deck, ready to connect

Postby PeteBranduir » 06 Nov 2014, 22:39

I'm finally getting my set on or around the 17th of this month and I was wondering if anyone else is still studying.

So are you? How've they been working out for you? Any tips for a beginner? Favourite card/association? Let's get this group going again.

(Or not. Sorry. I get bit excited when I get my hands on something I've saved up for.)
If at first you don't succeed, I hope it wasn't brain surgery.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Re: New deck, ready to connect

Postby Aphritha » 07 Nov 2014, 16:06

I didn't connect with this deck immediately. I wasn't quite sure what to do with it, it was different than from what I was used to. I fiddled around with it a bit. Did a disgustingly accurate reading, put them in a drawer for awhile.
Then I decided as part of my morning spiritual practice, I would draw a card for daily inspiration. This is how I learned to use them better; I got to experience each card individually rather than as a group. I think I now prefer them over any of my other divinatory tools.

PeteBranduir
OBOD Bard

Postby PeteBranduir » 07 Nov 2014, 23:56

Did a disgustingly accurate reading, put them in a drawer for awhile.

Sounds like what happened to me when I started trying to learn tarot. One month in and I spilled dragons blood powder on them they got a bit too accurate for everyones comfort and they've not been out of the box since (though that's partly because they keep disappearing).

The one a day method is how I learned my runes initially. I did wonder if it might be worth doing the same with these so there's that question answered. Thank you.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

scopulus
OBOD Ovate

Postby scopulus » 08 Nov 2014, 00:58

Over the years I made them a daily inspiration card, not so much as for inspiration, but where to pay attention for the day. Did not worked out quite well all the time, but nonethless, it did gave me closer connection with them. Now I use them once a month, which for my tasting is good! I am moving over to use the daily plant inspiration cards this coming year. I am a slow learner however, but I try to make those cards be the extension of my work-out ;)

My favorite is still bear, but I just love everything wiht bears, even gummy bears ;)

Blessings!
Words, mere words, Vivid, clear and sometimes Cruel!!!
Yet ... they have a subtle magic in them.

'Oscar Wilde' The picture of Dorian Gray.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 11 Nov 2014, 16:25

I like the frog. He promises wonderful things for me. :D

PeteBranduir
OBOD Bard

Postby PeteBranduir » 11 Nov 2014, 21:58

I like the frog. He promises wonderful things for me. :D
It's always nice when a tool connects with you. :)

AOnot
OBOD Bard

Postby AOnot » 19 Nov 2014, 15:46

I purchased this deck several years ago, and although I thought it beautifully crafted and liked the idea of oracle style cards I couldn't quite bring myself to use them. Somehow they just didn't feel right or ready. I had barely scratched the surface of a simple tarot deck at the time (although it was startlingly accurate, I hadn't learned much about the cards themselves and still haven't) and so the deck was boxed back up and put aside, behind and under a great many things for a long, long while.

I took out my Druid Animal Oracle deck today for the first time in over 2 years.

It seems that perhaps now is finally the time to revisit this deck as after apologizing for neglecting it in the back of my bookshelf, it seems quite happy now. I drew the bee today, which is appropriate on all fronts (being part of a new family, a new community, a new role and also my daily tasks for today as well as a sense of celebration for those things listed). I think perhaps the deck might be poking fun a little at my ambitious "to do" list. Maybe it has a sense of humour.

I very much like the idea of being able to chat with others here about this deck as I slowly introduce myself to the cards and learn from them.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 21 Nov 2014, 16:10

Bee card...reminds me that my cat...um, destroyed(won't go into details) this card. I remember a year or two ago Philip was on Druidspace and said that if you lose a card to this deck the office will replace it. I wonder if they'll extend this offer for cat damage.

PeteBranduir
OBOD Bard

Postby PeteBranduir » 21 Nov 2014, 18:55

Might be worth a try.

Not to sound shallow but the immediate thing that's stuck me is how much more stunning the artwork is in person. They really do feel so full of life. (More observations to come)

Return to “Druid Animal Oracle (DAO) Study Group”