What are you reading at the moment?

For discussion of books, movies, plays and other literature relevant to Druidry
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Acacia
OBOD Ovate

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Postby Acacia » 20 Jan 2016, 08:55

The Gospel of Truth, from the Nag Hammadi Scriptures.
"Trees are sanctuaries.
Whoever knows how to speak to them
Whoever knows how to listen to them
Can learn the truth."

Hermann Hesse.

Bart
OBOD Ovate

Postby Bart » 20 Jan 2016, 09:13

The four directions by Daan van Kampenhout

Delian
OBOD Bard

Postby Delian » 20 Jan 2016, 11:42

I've been reading the manga D.Gray-man by Katsura Hoshino. I saw the anime and really loved it so I'm reading the manga. So far the manga is really good, the art is beautiful.

I also have numerous ungoing mangas that I'm reading as well. I check each month the new chapters that are out. I think the total list would betoo long for this post.

I'm reading a light novel called The Devil is a Part-Timer Vol.1 by Satoshi Wagahara. I saw the anime based on this light novel, it's about demons stucked in the human world powerless and having to do jobs, to pay the bills, it's a comedy. The Hero shows up and she causes all sort of funny situations to the demons.

As for the ones recenty finished, there is the Light Novel Log Horizon Vol. 3 by Mamare Touno that I liked very much, that one too I saw the anime first and really loved it. The book Dragons, a Natural History by Karl Shuker was quite interesting. I saw infos about the Witch's Runes on the internet but I'm really happy I got the book A Witch's Runes: How to Make and Use Your Own Magick Stones by Susan A. Sheppard because it says more about the meanings of the runes but it has also plenty of infos not on the web that are really good. I read The Path Through the Forest: A Druid Guidebook by Julie White & Graeme K. Talboys, and got the companion book as well, and I find the book really good.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Hedgeapple

Postby Hedgeapple » 23 Jan 2016, 08:18

A Witch's Book of Silence by Karina BlackHeart.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 23 Jan 2016, 20:37

Several things.
In the morning, I read a passage out of The End of Sorrow(The Bhagavad Gita For Daily Living).
In my spare time, I've been rereading Magic: Its Ritual, Power, and Purpose by W.E. Butler.
In the car, when I'm waiting to pick my husband up for work, I read Cultures Of the World:Belarus. II want to read a book about every country in the world, and this series has been helpful.
And I night, I've been reading Freemasons for Dummies aloud to my husband. We both joined a CoMasonry lodge recently and wanted a quick course on background.

Green Raven

Postby Green Raven » 24 Jan 2016, 13:43

A short (94 pages) work, Whole Community Liturgy: A Guide for Parish Readers and Lay Ministers by Nick Wagner, caught my eye recently. The focus is on taking the most important festival of the year (in this case, the Catholic celebration of the Triduum, aka the days of Easter), and ensuring that the rites and celebrations form a coherent journey towards that event during the rest of the year. Mr Parks strips out tired old habits and aims to reach the needs and real lives of the community. It certainly made me look harder at my annual druidic voyage. Joined up druidry – something we can all aim at.

The other ‘find’ was Nicola Davies’ Gaia Warriors, a large 192 page guide to making saving the planet fun and relevant for youngsters. It practically sets the foundations for a positive and useful mindset with which the inheritors of our collective mess can make the next set of decisions. Let’s just hope it isn’t “abandon ship!” There is an afterword by James Lovelock – a strong endorsement indeed.
“Listen, O little pig! are not the buds of thorns
Very green, the mountain beautiful, and beautiful the earth?”
- Myrddin Wyllt, Hoianau / Greetings (to a Pig)

Saphidha
OBOD Ovate

Postby Saphidha » 26 Jan 2016, 05:02

I've just purchased "The Earth, The Gods and The Soul - A History of Pagan Philosophy from the Iron Age to the 21st Century" by Brendan Myers. I'm looking forward to starting it.

Armitage
OBOD Bard

Postby Armitage » 26 Jan 2016, 16:09

"The Cunning Man" by Robertson Davies.

Acacia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Acacia » 29 Jan 2016, 08:51

"The Disappearance of the Universe" by Gary Renard.
"Trees are sanctuaries.
Whoever knows how to speak to them
Whoever knows how to listen to them
Can learn the truth."

Hermann Hesse.

Delian
OBOD Bard

Postby Delian » 13 Feb 2016, 16:39

I'm reading the sequel of the Light Novel I was reading last time, so I'm reading The Devil is a Part-Timer Vol.2. I'm also reading Tarot Wisdom: Spiritual Teachings and Deeper Meanings by Rachel Pollack. I really like Rachel Pollack.
ImageImageImageImage

Delian
OBOD Bard

Postby Delian » 12 Mar 2016, 16:11

I'm reading Traité de démonologie by Édouard Brasey, a book about demons. I got a few years ago his book La petite encyclopédie du merveilleux, an encyclopedia about all sort of mystical folk creatures found around the world, like brownies and sirens. So I bought all his Traité books (vampires, werewolves, demons, angels, fairies), and I read his werewolf one which was good and interesting, so I decided to tackle something I know less about, demons. His book is really good so far, he mentions that with Christianity taking over Paganism, that they viewed Nature as evil and turned the past pagan gods as demons and nature spirits as well. He mentiones the daemon of Socrates as well, which were back then close to what people view gardian angels today.
ImageImageImageImage

butterflymelody

Postby butterflymelody » 24 Mar 2016, 21:07

With grad school prep and application finally over, I'm excited to get back into reading for fun!

I am currently reading Who Cooked the Last Supper? The Women's History of the World by Rosalind Miles. I like it so far, although at times it seems a bit too simplistic such as when she claims that Sun deities were always male. But it does create a narrative of humanity and has some really interesting tidbits about historical figures. I think the first few chapters about cavepeople were the most interesting because you really don't hear about the role women played in those societies. The myth of bloodthirsty man the hunter runs very strong, but even modern hunter-gather societies don't function that way and are amazingly egalitarian, even more so than so-called "civilized" and "advanced" societies (https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/fr ... arian-ways) I had also never really thought about how unreliable hunting is as a food source, so really we should be saying gatherer-hunters which places the emphasis on how most food is obtained. Now whenever I watch "Naked and Afraid" I just laugh because so many people get caught up in going out and killing something as how they're going to survive.

Another book I am reading is "The Celtic Gods: Comets in Irish Mythology" by Patrick McCafferty & Mike Baillie. Patrick McCafferty was in the documentary "Sacred Sites: Ireland" which I mentioned before. I haven't gotten too far into it, so I have no opinion on it yet!

I also started "The Druid source book : from earliest times to the present day" by John Matthews. It's a series of essays on ancient druids, the reformation, and modern druidry. It's not my favorite book in the world to be honest and it is a bit dated; a lot of things have been discovered about the Celts and Druids since it was published. The edition I have is also difficult to read because the binding is so tight that my fingers get sore just from trying to hold it open! But it is good to get a list of sources for things and an idea about how modern druidry developed.

Tracy G
OBOD Ovate

Postby Tracy G » 26 Mar 2016, 02:41

The Shape of the Liturgy, New Edition by Dom Gregory Dix (2015; original work 1945).
“Don’t fall asleep at the wheel of fortune. Don’t exercise, dance. Don’t diet, chuckle. Don’t tell other people what not to do.” —James Broughton, American bard, 1913–1999

winterfire
OBOD Ovate

Postby winterfire » 26 Mar 2016, 07:48

Elen of the ways by Elen Sentier

Màiri
OBOD Bard

Postby Màiri » 30 Mar 2016, 10:09

"Gaviotas. A village to reinvent the world" by Alan Weisman
"Trees are poems that the earth writes upon the sky" (Khalil Gibran)

Return to “The Reading Room”