What are you reading at the moment?

For discussion of books, movies, plays and other literature relevant to Druidry
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Postby Aphritha » 16 Aug 2012, 00:25

I'm almost done with The Once and Future King by T.H. White. Its my first Arthur novel, and I'm really enjoying it. The characters are so animated. It was recommended to me by a fellow OBOD member, and I'm glad I took her advice! :)

Aoife
OBOD Bard

Postby Aoife » 16 Aug 2012, 03:21

I am reading several books at once.

I am reading The Lancelot Murders by J.M.C Blair which is book two in the series. They are absolutely fabulous and the writer is excellent. You really form an emotional connection with the characters.
http://www.themysteryreader.com/blair-lancelot.html

I am reading Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman. It's basically about a young Einstein that is currently working on his theory of relativity and the dreams he has. Each dream is a subject of time theory. It's a very interesting dream and I highly recommend it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein's_Dreams

I am reading The Cataclysm by Christie Golden. I play World of Warcraft so I love the lore. http://www.wowwiki.com/The_Shattering:_ ... _Cataclysm
I'm almost done with The Once and Future King by T.H. White. Its my first Arthur novel, and I'm really enjoying it. The characters are so animated. It was recommended to me by a fellow OBOD member, and I'm glad I took her advice!
It is SUCH a good book. I couldn't put it down.
Reading Boudica - Dreaming the Eagle by Manda Scott
I would love to read it. She's one of my heroes.
Just finished Snuff by Terry Pratchet - unputdownable I naughtily read it every moment I could till it was finished.
Terry Pratchet is amazing isn't he? He's so eccentric and brilliant.
Celtic Dawn, celtic survival in the modern world, Peter Berresford Ellis
I seriously need to check this out. Sounds like the kind of thing I would enjoy.

Salomea
OBOD Druid

Postby Salomea » 16 Aug 2012, 10:59

I'm reading "the art of Brave"- it's a art book about Disney-Pixar animation, but apart from pictures there is a lot of commentary on the production and general idea ^^
You gain wisdom by talking with stars,
but to see them you need deep dark.

ImageImageImage
2009 SB 2010 LI 2011 IL

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 16 Aug 2012, 15:49

I am reading The Cataclysm by Christie Golden. I play World of Warcraft so I love the lore.
How are the new books? I was once an avid WoWer, but I gave it up when I became a homemaker, for fear I'd do nothing but sit around and play! I did enjoy the books very much, but haven't picked them up since I stopped back in the spring.

Aoife
OBOD Bard

Postby Aoife » 17 Aug 2012, 13:28

I am reading The Cataclysm by Christie Golden. I play World of Warcraft so I love the lore.
How are the new books? I was once an avid WoWer, but I gave it up when I became a homemaker, for fear I'd do nothing but sit around and play! I did enjoy the books very much, but haven't picked them up since I stopped back in the spring.
They are very, very good. In my opinion anything by Christie Golden is wonderful. :grin: I'm not a huge fan of Richard Knaak because I feel there is a certain stiffness to his writing that keeps you from getting emotionally connected to the characters depicted. As a talented writer and someone who plays WoW she cares a bit more than an author simply paid to write about a certain subject and characters he has no emotional connection with.

See, I've heard a lot of women say that (and I'm not saying you lack it) but when it all comes down to is discipline. I've had a few years to practice online discipline because I go to university online. As I don't have a job right now I'm willing to admit I spend more hours than I should on WoW but at the same time I've always made the right decisions about when to stop. IE when a friend asks me to go out. When my boyfriend says it's time to stop after 6 hours... :oops: Honestly though, I don't really do it for that long unless I'm playing with a friend.

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 17 Aug 2012, 14:21

The Transcendent Function by Jeffrey C. Miller

Very simply, the transcendent function is what allows dialogue or interaction between conscious and unconscious. It is not limited to either, yet arises from their relating, so allowing a creative third way; something on the way to individuation.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 17 Aug 2012, 15:04

They are very, very good. In my opinion anything by Christie Golden is wonderful. :grin: I'm not a huge fan of Richard Knaak because I feel there is a certain stiffness to his writing that keeps you from getting emotionally connected to the characters depicted. As a talented writer and someone who plays WoW she cares a bit more than an author simply paid to write about a certain subject and characters he has no emotional connection with.

See, I've heard a lot of women say that (and I'm not saying you lack it) but when it all comes down to is discipline. I've had a few years to practice online discipline because I go to university online. As I don't have a job right now I'm willing to admit I spend more hours than I should on WoW but at the same time I've always made the right decisions about when to stop. IE when a friend asks me to go out. When my boyfriend says it's time to stop after 6 hours... :oops: Honestly though, I don't really do it for that long unless I'm playing with a friend.
I feel the same way when comparing Christie Golden to Richard Knaak...I still enjoyed his books, but I felt his stories put too much emphasis on the battles/action, not enough on character development. Its harder to get absorbed in what's going on when you don't know what the character is feeling!
I completely admit I lack discipline. I'm not the type to hole up on a game and ignore the world, but when it came down to "Should I play WoW, or clean the cat box, do the dishes, and put away laundry?" I'd know what I SHOULD be doing, and I know what I WOULD be doing....

Aoife
OBOD Bard

Postby Aoife » 19 Aug 2012, 06:54

I feel the same way when comparing Christie Golden to Richard Knaak...I still enjoyed his books, but I felt his stories put too much emphasis on the battles/action, not enough on character development. Its harder to get absorbed in what's going on when you don't know what the character is feeling!
I completely admit I lack discipline. I'm not the type to hole up on a game and ignore the world, but when it came down to "Should I play WoW, or clean the cat box, do the dishes, and put away laundry?" I'd know what I SHOULD be doing, and I know what I WOULD be doing....
Yeah, I know how it is. What helps me is to set a schedule. I have to do this and this and this before I treat myself with WoW. I can play for this much time before I need to do this and this and this.

On the subject of books I can't stand Knaak...I only read his books out of love of the game. He uses the same descriptive phrases over and over...swear to God if I hear "it was all he/she could do to blah blah" I am going to scream. Not to mention the flow of his writing isn't very well done and I often have to re-read parts because of it. Christie Golden is getting all the "big" books but what I don't like is that she's killing off major characters. :x

I am also trying to read Bring of the Bodies because I've heard it's super good and I love Anne Boleyn. I've found it very hard to read because of the flow. The author uses "He" when several He's are present and it can get confusing.

Ade Sundog
OBOD Ovate

Postby Ade Sundog » 06 Sep 2012, 21:43

Active Hope - How to face the mess we're in without going crazy .

by

Joanna Macy & Chris Johnstone
:sun:

Og - Ha - Be

Make Tea Not War :greenpeace:

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 07 Sep 2012, 15:59

Working on the Four Ancient Books of Wales right now.

Ade Sundog
OBOD Ovate

Postby Ade Sundog » 21 Sep 2012, 16:30

'Conversations with God'

By

Neale Donald Walsch

Og - Ha - Be

Salomea
OBOD Druid

Postby Salomea » 21 Sep 2012, 17:17

Two books at the moment:

"Kultura ludowa Słowian: cz. 2 Kultura duchowa" [in trans. "Slavic Folk Culture: pt 2 Spiritual culture"
by Kazimierz Moszczyński, which is a reprint from 1934. Quite fun to read, because apart from the fact it's written in old "orography" it is as much about the folk culture as the modern (for author) world where You can read that back in that times people believed that they almost reached the top of quite everything in progress/evolution and would quite likely soon conquer the death as well. (Funny but sour is the thought that in 10 years from that moment, most would rather say that it was the death that conquered all...)
Anyway it's quite rare that time first hand report, though with some amount of mistakes (author for example did not bothered himself to do better research of west borders of Slavic culture, plus, although it's not his fault completely had that the simple evolutionist and colonialist view on world... But again it's interesting to see it in "practice")

Catching fire by Suzanne Collins- just to get back to modern times :D
You gain wisdom by talking with stars,
but to see them you need deep dark.

ImageImageImage
2009 SB 2010 LI 2011 IL

Blyth
OBOD Ovate

Postby Blyth » 21 Sep 2012, 18:42

Natural Druidry
by Kristoffer Hughes
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
— Mahatma Gandhi

Ade Sundog
OBOD Ovate

Postby Ade Sundog » 26 Sep 2012, 09:01

Mutant Message Down Under

by

Marlo Morgan

'A woman's journey into dreamtime Australia'

Og - Ha - Be

Mountainheart
OBOD Bard

Postby Mountainheart » 26 Sep 2012, 09:32

I'm reading and re-reading 'The Matter of Britain': Harold Morland version. Read it as a whole and am now dipping in randomly.

Bracken
OBOD Druid

Postby Bracken » 26 Sep 2012, 10:00

A History of Celibacy by Elizabeth Abbott.

StephenThomas
OBOD Ovate

Postby StephenThomas » 26 Sep 2012, 12:51

Mabinogion
Steve (Grayhawk) /|\

ImageImage

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 26 Sep 2012, 22:08

Los tres ojos del conocimiento by Ken Wilber (Original version: Eye to Eye)

Susanne
OBOD Ovate

Postby Susanne » 26 Sep 2012, 23:57

A few things actually......
The Lord of the Rings & some of Tolkien's other work...starting with the Hobbit & then onward. I'm on the Two Towers at the moment. I have read the trilogy every autumn since the first time I read it when I was 13, with the exception of probably 5 or 6 years when so much was happening in life that I didn't have the time to read (oh those pesky kids!) So, that means I've read it...well, a lot :grin: Self admitted Tolkien geek here!
I took a bit of a break from it over this past weekend to read Phillip Carr-Gom's The Druid Way. What a fantastic little book! It got me thinking of the history of the land (no matter where you are) and has sparked the urge to go out my door & hit the trail to see what adventures await. Kind of like Bilbo really........

RedSky
Deceased

Postby RedSky » 27 Sep 2012, 00:59

Jim Holt's "Why Does The World Exist", is closest to hand. That and my "53 ford truck shop manual" .

Return to “The Reading Room”