What are you reading at the moment?

For discussion of books, movies, plays and other literature relevant to Druidry
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Brân Gannaid
OBOD Bard

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Postby Brân Gannaid » 29 Oct 2013, 09:06

The High King of Montival by Stirling. I've enjoyed the "Change" series, especially the pagan references and the post-apocalyptic setting that resulted from a magical event. This book is weaker than some in the series, yet still engaging, and since I know the characters well, it's interesting to see what happens to them.

Actually, I've been reading only a few pages at a time at bedtime, and even that's been sporadic because I like to listen to the Gwersi instead!
Soaring high on a wind current, I gaze down at the rugged shapes of the mountains and the shimmering water of the lakes, and thank the Goddess that I am Crow.

Fire oak
OBOD Ovate

Postby Fire oak » 29 Oct 2013, 16:30

Have just finished Dance of the Stones by Kenn Day. It's about a shamanic road trip in France and Cornwall.
Fire Oak

ImageImage

kukl

Postby kukl » 04 Mar 2014, 22:23

Feral. By George Monbiot.
Modern life and intensive agriculture are incompatible with nature. This book is a recipe for setting things right.
Reintroducing wolves into the U.K? Yes please. :)
And I dreamed I saw the bombers riding shotgun in the sky, and they where turning into butterflies above our nation. Joni Mitchell

Kiara
OBOD Bard

Postby Kiara » 05 Mar 2014, 17:16

I just finished "Your Soul's Plan" by Robert Schwartz. I found that I agree with quite a bit in this book. Highly recommend if someone wants a different view of "why are we here".

Just started "The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries" by W.Y. Evans-Wentz
ImageImage

jninuk
OBOD Bard

Postby jninuk » 09 Mar 2014, 19:46

Feral. By George Monbiot.
Modern life and intensive agriculture are incompatible with nature. This book is a recipe for setting things right.
Reintroducing wolves into the U.K? Yes please. :)
Feral is on my to read list at the moment, heard Monbiot talking about it on the radio ages ago but just haven't got round to buying it yet.

I'm also right behind the reintroduction of wolves!

I'm reading 'The Wild Places' by Robert Macfarlane at the moment which is a great book where the writer travels in search of the remaining wild places in the UK. Some of it is really magical, would fully reccomend it. (and his newer book 'The Old Paths')
Another World is Possible

As the crickets' soft autumn hum is to us
so are we to the trees
as are they
to the rocks and hills
-Gary Snyder

Snægl
OBOD Ovate

Postby Snægl » 13 Mar 2014, 23:29

K. Hughes. 2012. From the Cauldron Born. I've been working through the cauldron ritual since Samhain of 2013 and have found it incredibly moving thus far.

R. McAdow. 1990. The Concord, Sudbury, and Assabet Rivers: A Guide to Canoeing, Wildlife, and History. This one just lept out at me from the shelf of the local library, as I'd been wanting to learn more about the waterways around my home. Turns out my landlady even knows the author!
Forþan bið andgit æghwær selest ferðes foreþanc. :zen:
Therefore, in every respect understanding is best, and deliberation of spirit.
-- Beowulf 1059–1060
ImageImageThe Druid's Well Blog

Brân Gannaid
OBOD Bard

Postby Brân Gannaid » 19 Mar 2014, 07:32

"Meet the Friendly Dulcimer" by David Cross.

I was given a mountain dulcimer for my birthday this month after showing an interest and some aptitude while playing a borrowed one.

OBOD's Bardic Grade has been a fantastic blessing to me. I've really expanded my experimentation with art and music and am loving it! It's like someone left the door to my cage unlocked! :)
Soaring high on a wind current, I gaze down at the rugged shapes of the mountains and the shimmering water of the lakes, and thank the Goddess that I am Crow.

Branflakes
OBOD Ovate

Postby Branflakes » 14 May 2014, 02:28

I was given a mountain dulcimer for my birthday this month after showing an interest and some aptitude while playing a borrowed one.

OBOD's Bardic Grade has been a fantastic blessing to me. I've really expanded my experimentation with art and music and am loving it! It's like someone left the door to my cage unlocked! :)
Dulcimers are fantastic instruments! My brother has played one for a couple of years now (unfortunately, he's limited his musical abilities to Christian hymns. Not a bad thing in general, but not much variety otherwise). It seems a simple instrument once you get the hang of it!

And I know exactly what you're talking about! Even though I'm primarily busying myself with the Ovate Grade, the Bardic is always in my heart, and it was such a big inspiration (go figure!) to my musical journey. It's really fun to let go and let yourself discover and create!

Brân Gannaid
OBOD Bard

Postby Brân Gannaid » 16 May 2014, 08:07

I've been reading a novel, "Suspect" by Robert Crais at the recommendation of a friend. Very different and a bit violent, yet very rewarding read.

I've also been reading different books on druidry and wicca, including the ones that come with the Druidcraft Tarot and the Witches Tarot. I have a collection on my Kindle now.

Branflakes
OBOD Ovate

Postby Branflakes » 17 May 2014, 00:58

I just finished Ronald Hutton's "Blood and Mistletoe," and now I feel like I have to finish all the books I've started but haven't finished. So now I'm working on Mark Townsend's "Jesus through Pagan Eyes," George R.R. Martin's "Storm of Swords," Clifford Pickover's "Sex, Drugs, Einstein, and Elves," and...I think that might be it. Not sure...

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 18 May 2014, 02:06

The Illiad, and when I want to read something a bit lighter, 'Gods and Heros from Viking Mythology'.

Brân Gannaid
OBOD Bard

Postby Brân Gannaid » 23 May 2014, 08:12

Dulcimers are fantastic instruments! My brother has played one for a couple of years now (unfortunately, he's limited his musical abilities to Christian hymns. Not a bad thing in general, but not much variety otherwise). It seems a simple instrument once you get the hang of it!

And I know exactly what you're talking about! Even though I'm primarily busying myself with the Ovate Grade, the Bardic is always in my heart, and it was such a big inspiration (go figure!) to my musical journey. It's really fun to let go and let yourself discover and create!
I don't think my artistic endeavors will end with the Bardic grade. I've run into so many like-minded people and made so many new friends in my new neighborhood who jam and play in various performing scenarios that I think I'm hooked for a while!

It's a wonderful instrument since it's so quick to tune, small so it can easily be carried, and can be used with guitar chord books if one doesn't know a song! I've been playing from several other books and the challenge is always to find chords I need close enough together that I can reach with my short fingers! And some chords are just missing, so I play "air dulcimer" for some notes on occasion! I haven't yet stepped out and done a lot of "lead" work!

And, in keeping with the thread, "Suspect" is turning out to be a very interesting book for several reasons, including the fact that it features a police dog. Glad my friend suggested it.

Skogsvandrare
OBOD Bard

Postby Skogsvandrare » 23 May 2014, 11:19

"What the Robin Knows: How Birds Reveal the Secrets of the Natural World" (Jon Young) I've only started in on it, but it does give some fascinating insight into what can be learnt from the natural sounds around us. It may become a similar experience as reading Gattys classic "Finding Your Way Without Map or Compass" was (suddenly one became a Sherlock Holmes of Navigation. or at least get a look into the toolbox of one). Time will tell.

I'm imagining myself in the outdoors version of the classic SH scene: "your desktop picture? Taken in late spring, around 9 AM, facing NW, probably somewhere in southern Norway".
images/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gif

EagleEye

Postby EagleEye » 24 May 2014, 12:45

I usually read more than one book at a time, which is probably why it takes me a while to get through anything lol. I'm reading Peterson's field guide to Wildflowers - Northeastern/North-central North America, Sacred Contracts by Caroline Myss and The Art of Living - The Classical Manual on Virtue, Happiness, and Effectiveness by Epictetus.
Let us drink the Sun
and paint every tongue
with the light of Hosts
with honey.

xidia
OBOD Ovate

Postby xidia » 04 Jun 2014, 21:28

Lots!

Stations of the Sun by Ronald Hutton (British ritual/customs)

Awakening to the Spirit World by Sandra Ingerman (shamanism with a distinctly Druidic bent)

RUN: the mind-body method of running by feel by Matt Fitzgerald (how to train based on biofeedback rather than a set schedule)

Spirituality without Structure by Nimue Brown (functional analysis of the sociological "point" of religion and spirituality)

Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey (a season in Arches National Park c.1950)

Malice by John Gwynne (medieval high fantasy)

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality (online, spoof)

Brân Gannaid
OBOD Bard

Postby Brân Gannaid » 05 Jun 2014, 02:35

Been reading Ken Follett's "Code to Zero" the past couple of days (passed on to me by my DH while we were traveling) and also still slowly savoring Penny Billington's "The Path of Druidry." The first one is fast and fun suspense, while the second is a great read for an OBOD Bard working through the Gwersi.

Branflakes
OBOD Ovate

Postby Branflakes » 09 Jul 2014, 02:08

I don't think my artistic endeavors will end with the Bardic grade. I've run into so many like-minded people and made so many new friends in my new neighborhood who jam and play in various performing scenarios that I think I'm hooked for a while!

It's a wonderful instrument since it's so quick to tune, small so it can easily be carried, and can be used with guitar chord books if one doesn't know a song! I've been playing from several other books and the challenge is always to find chords I need close enough together that I can reach with my short fingers! And some chords are just missing, so I play "air dulcimer" for some notes on occasion! I haven't yet stepped out and done a lot of "lead" work!

And, in keeping with the thread, "Suspect" is turning out to be a very interesting book for several reasons, including the fact that it features a police dog. Glad my friend suggested it.
The lessons learned in the Bardic grade and the flow of Awen definitely does not end with the Bardic gwersi! I can't say that I've met other like-minded people, though. I'd love to meet someone who would want to jam.

Skogsvandrare
OBOD Bard

Postby Skogsvandrare » 09 Jul 2014, 06:21

"The Universal Toolkit" by Paul Campell. Field expedient -- i.e. quick and easy to make -- stone tools and the stuff you can do with them. yes, I am a primitiive tech and survival nerd, why do you ask
images/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gif

Brân Gannaid
OBOD Bard

Postby Brân Gannaid » 09 Jul 2014, 06:41

The lessons learned in the Bardic grade and the flow of Awen definitely does not end with the Bardic gwersi! I can't say that I've met other like-minded people, though. I'd love to meet someone who would want to jam.
Branflakes, I moved to an area of the country that values and encourages mountain music and jamming.

They even teach both credit and non-credit college courses in mountain instruments nearby, and the focus is on learning and jamming. Storytelling also is a big deal in the area.

It is in the middle of the Bible belt, and it's amazing how many pagans/heathens/witches/druids are present but just hidden until one proves trustworthy!

Oh, and I just finished "Ariel" and "Elegy Beach" by Steven R. Boyett. Elegy Beach was exceptionally creative fantasy, and this pair of books loosely followed S.M. Stirling's "change" series (starts with "Dies the Fire"), which started off as speculative fiction and then added more fantasy overtones later in the series.

janetadams

Postby janetadams » 18 Jul 2014, 10:46

I love to read books and read before a lot, it was and still my hobby. Currently I am a professional writer and it is right asking what you are writing this time is applicable for me. However, come to the point. Currently I am reading some reviews about some online writing services. I have got an outstanding one. You may also make use of it as well.
You are provided here with writing diseertation tips and I hope it is very much helpful if you are seeking for such an assistance. I am impressed.

Return to “The Reading Room”