Where to start?

For discussion of books, movies, plays and other literature relevant to Druidry
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
frewin77

Where to start?

Postby frewin77 » 04 Jan 2012, 06:33

I've looked over the boards and haven't seen any definitive answer to the most common issue: Where do I start? The only knowledge I have is from 18 yrs ago when I was 16 and read 21 Lessons Of Merlin. I have books like "the path of druidry" and "the druidry handbook". Are these good books? If not what is a good one to start? Please any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

As above so below; as below so above; as within so without; as without so within

Art
OBOD Druid

Re: Where to start?

Postby Art » 04 Jan 2012, 07:12

I often recommend "The Druid Way" by Philip Carr-Gomm. You can reasonably find it on ebay or from any number of used book sellers. It is a comfortable read about a walk through the countryside however in the process it introduces many of the fundamentals and imparts a sense of the spirit of Druidry. Of course you can pick up some concepts from the material on our parent site: Druidry.org. The book you already have, "The Path of Druidry" by Penny Billington is an excellent choice as well. The other book you mentioned, "The Druidry Handbook" by John Michael Greer is fine also and does present a slightly different slant.

And....Don't forget to put the books down once in awhile and simply go for a walk in the woods or a park. There is much to be learned there as well. :wink:

frewin77

Re: Where to start?

Postby frewin77 » 04 Jan 2012, 16:13

Thanks so much for your recommendations. I found "The Druid Way" on Amazon used but in "very good" condition for $0.59 plus $3.99 for shipping. New it was like $150.00, so thanks for saving me $145 LOL!

As above so below; as below so above; as within so without; as without so within

Return to “The Reading Room”