Invoking Ireland?

For discussion of books, movies, plays and other literature relevant to Druidry
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Kris Hughes
OBOD Bard

Invoking Ireland?

Postby Kris Hughes » 07 Mar 2013, 06:02

Has anyone here read Invoking Ireland by John Moriarty? Or other books by him?

His name came up in another Druid group last year and I started reading what I could find and listening to interviews and talks on You Tube. I love his ideas, and I love his book Invoking Ireland, and I'd love to hear what other Druids think of him, etc. I recently reviewed this book on my blog, and although I'm not getting any comments there, it's sparked some good chats elsewhere.

Anybody??
"Your horse is your mirror." ~ Linda Parelli

My Blog http://www.godeeper.info/blog.html

Fox
OBOD Ovate

Re: Invoking Ireland?

Postby Fox » 07 Mar 2013, 13:38

What's it about?
yr pal, Fox

"So good luck came, and on my roof did light, like noiseless snow."
– Robert Herrick, from 'The Coming of Good Luck'

Kris Hughes
OBOD Bard

Postby Kris Hughes » 07 Mar 2013, 17:32

It's a look at what Irish myth and deities might mean to the Irish today -- and to the human race more widely.

Moriarty in no way self-identified as part of the "Pagan" movement. He would have said the he was a Catholic. However, his take on spirituality is so unusual, informed by world myth and folklore, and very heavily by nature, that you wouldn't pick that up at all from reading this book. He is no John O'Donohue although he is a kind of poet philosopher that's about the end of the similarity.

Some of this book is hard going, when the multicultural references come a bit thick and fast, most of it is beautiful and some of it is an easy ride, some parts are as edgy as an acid trip.

All this is to say "I can't really describe it. I tried that in a very long blog post, and it was still difficult."

If you want a taste of what this guy is about - try this video http://youtu.be/m6kfo4FahM0 It's how I got hooked. There are a number of other good items with Moriarty on YouTube, too.
"Your horse is your mirror." ~ Linda Parelli

My Blog http://www.godeeper.info/blog.html

Fox
OBOD Ovate

Postby Fox » 07 Mar 2013, 20:19

I'll have a look and get back to you. Sounds right up my alley!
yr pal, Fox

"So good luck came, and on my roof did light, like noiseless snow."
– Robert Herrick, from 'The Coming of Good Luck'

Return to “The Reading Room”