Intermediate: Planetary Cycles and Life Patterns

Subforum for discussion of astrology-related topics
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
sushimimi
OBOD Bard

Intermediate: Planetary Cycles and Life Patterns

Postby sushimimi » 22 Nov 2006, 22:16

Greetings! :)

This is my first full post here, so if you have any questions and need clarification on any terms used, please let me know and I (or someone kind enough to reply quicker) will be happy to answer. I'm totally new to OBOD and Druidry, so whatever you have to share will be very well appreciated. This is definitely a participatory post.

As for any contributions, there are no right or wrong answers per se, but only additions to the pot where we can each take from it what we will. (Insert any missed disclaimers here.)
Thanks!
---------

<font color="navy" size="large">Planetary Cycles and Life Patterns</font>

Many people who have read about astrology have, at one time or another, heard of what is called the Saturn Return - that not so popular period in one's life that occurs somewhere between ages 28 and 30. :gloomy: This is basically the time it takes for Saturn to make a 360 degree complete revolution around the sun returning to it's original degree, given the starting date of when a person/place/event was born, hence the name.

Applying it to the Other Planets
What isn't discussed as often are the other patterns which can be drawn from the cycles of the other planets. While memory tends to focus more on difficult times in life of which such events are spawned by identified by aspects such as the conjunctions (planetary returns), squares and oppositions, there are also easy aspects (trines and even sextiles) that can be focused upon as well. :D

The value in learning to about planetary cycles is that it allows the observation of life to introduce us to the stars, then lets the stars teach us about life. :shake:

To begin, you first need to first create your own list of planetary timing. :where: These should be approached as time periods rather than exact moment/day/hour in time. (Days/years below refer to length of an earth day/year) There are many more, but here are a few to get started.

Planetary Returns:
- Sun ~ 365 days (round to 360 - the degrees of a full circle)
- Moon ~ 29.5 days (round to 30 - the degrees in one house)
- Mercury ~ 88 days ( round to 90 - the degrees in a square)
- Venus ~ 225 days (rnd to 7.5 months)
- Mars ~ 687 days or ~ 2 years (about 6 months per season)
- Jupiter ~ 12 years (about 1 year in each house)
- Saturn ~ 29 years
- Uranus ~ 84 years (about age 43 yrs for opposition, or age 21 for 1st square)
- Neptune ~ 165 years
- Pluto ~ 248 years (age 36-45 for 1st square)
- Solar eclipse Saros Cycle ~ 19 years

Remember too that the planets aren't making perfectly circular orbits around the sun; they travel an elliptical, so people born years apart may not experience the outer planetary squares at the same exact age.

Life Cycles:
Looking at the time lengths above, hints at life patterns start to emerge. :grin:

Here are a few that I've noticed:
- Puberty generally happens around the Jupiter Return in the western world.
- Babies are born somewhere around 9 months or 270 days - the number of degrees from the Ascendant (initiation/beginning) to the Midheaven (full manifestation to the outer world).
- Chinese astrologers generally assign compatibility to signs four years apart; when a couple's Jupiters will trine (compatible philosophies & fun), and Mars may be in the same sign or viscinity (similar tempers and assertive energies)
- 7 years is usually the make or break age of a marriage. (Saturn 1st square)
- Age 18 to 21 marks a Jupiter opposition followed by the 1st Uranus square; the extra freedom bestowed at age 18 followed by the wanted (or unwanted!) need to carve one's own path.

Your turn!
What patterns are you familiar with? And what about the cycles in nature of the plants, trees and animals we observe and write poetry about?
Please share!! We'd all love to hear! :cloud9:
<I>Hope and Memory have one daughter and her name is Art, and she has built her dwelling far from the desperate field where men hang out their garments upon forked boughs to be banners of battle. O beloved daughter of Hope and Memory, be with me for a little.</I>
~ WB Yeats

astrocelt

Postby astrocelt » 24 Nov 2006, 00:31

Huber astrology by any chance?

Ac

sushimimi
OBOD Bard

Huber?

Postby sushimimi » 27 Nov 2006, 17:59

I'm not familiar with Huber; it's virtually unheard of out here.  :oops:
This is just something I've put together for others.

BTW, your website made my jaw drop!  :o  These historical resources and material are amazing, and also something of which I had no idea existed. Will be reading up on those for some time.   Thank you for that. :D
<I>Hope and Memory have one daughter and her name is Art, and she has built her dwelling far from the desperate field where men hang out their garments upon forked boughs to be banners of battle. O beloved daughter of Hope and Memory, be with me for a little.</I>
~ WB Yeats

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 27 Nov 2006, 18:50

Thank you for listing those cycles!

I noticed something and am wondering if it's significant.

Saturn return (3rd), Jupiter return, and Uranus return all happen at about age 84-86. This often marks the duration of a life - it did in my family anyway.

Is this typical? Do these returns all at about the same time have an influence on the end of life?

For myself, I wasn't aware of all this for my 1st Saturn return, but looking back I can see the shift in myself. My 2nd Saturn return was intense,deeply spiritual (once I picked myself up off the floor!), in part because I was now more aware, and in part because I had lessons I'd ignored first time around.

I never looked at the other returns, and will spend some time now checking to see what they may have influenced in my life.

Donata

Edit: post #4000! Yikes!:o  I need a life  :grin:
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

astrocelt

Postby astrocelt » 28 Nov 2006, 14:08

Hi sushimimi,

Many thanks for your compliments concerning the web site; it is there for people to take what they need, if they are on a similar journey. The choice of wording using ‘Life Patterns’ caught my attention in the post, although you have put this together to indicate the orbital periods to complete a circuit, related to a human being life.  

I mentioned Huber Astrology, which came out of Switzerland in the mid 1980’s from a partnership of two astrologers who bear that name. Together they introduced a new system of undertaking astrology readings, by placing it into what they call a ‘Life Clock’. Although I’ve personally not explored this system in practice I am aware of its existence. There is already a similar system available which is worked out mathematically via logarithms. It uses the planetary cycles, and is associated with vortexes, double helix, DNA and etc.  It’s known as ‘The Logarithmic Time Scale’ or LTS for short, and has since been renamed ‘Life-Time’ astrology by its creator. Perhaps the new definition may say it all, to what this system offers. It originated from the late 1970’s a workable expansion on a published theory dealing with ‘The Theory of Celestial Mechanics’ from 1954, and was developed by an architect/astrologer named Tad Mann originally from NY.

Incidentally I can vouch for the latter LTS system, as a poster to this board, who have since become inactive/left the board, has experienced its capabilities. Nonetheless, if you are interested in ‘Life patterns’ these two approaches could be off interest.

Ac

sushimimi
OBOD Bard

Cycles at End of Life

Postby sushimimi » 29 Nov 2006, 04:27

Hi Donata,
I've been considering how to respond to your post. Your question indeed lead to many thoughts...

As we all know, people die at all ages from stillbirth to past 100. For some of these people though, returns and outer planetary first quarters and oppositions are among the infinite number of transits that occur at that particular moment.

Per your wondering whether all these transits happening at about the same time for people age 84 to 86 have an influence on the end of life, I suspect that they could have a quite strong influence leading up to that moment often manifesting through health problems such as stroke, heart problems, hospitalization, etc.  Either way, it usually takes a number of hard transits (not necessarily returns) for any significant event to occur. The individual's chart as well as actual living status should always be observed first as many people live right on through this period and the events attributed to these hard transits manifest as real projections in the lives of the people around them (children, spouse, etc.... certainly not death specifically!, but the difficulties that come with hard transits.)

But setting aside the perspective of that type of finality, it is also interesting to approach it with the idea that existence that isn't limited by the physical plane. Is it possible that the soul of the being has evolved to a point where it sees that it can no longer be served by the present physical body? Some are hardy, and some are barely attached. It's difficult to know the thoughts, concerns and yearnings going on within our elders as they near that time, but if you were were lucky to be able to speak regularly and deeply with them as they approached that age, it may have given insight as to where they were heading on a less mortal level.

(Did that just go way off subject? or just dance around it?  :grin:  )
Anyway, sometimes death simply doesn't show up ominously in the chart of the person at hand (peaceful passing), however, their death does show up in the charts of those who love them most and who will suffer the most. Oh, the seasons.... :shrug:
~ WB Yeats

sushimimi
OBOD Bard

AT Mann

Postby sushimimi » 29 Nov 2006, 04:46

Hi Astrocelt,
Yes, AT Mann! I am pretty sure it is him that I have an audio cassette of from one of his lectures at an ISAR conference about 4 years ago now. He has a list of dates in his book to trace your own as well from what I remember, but I haven't thoroughly read the book yet. Pretty remarkable no less!  :D
~ WB Yeats

Return to “Astrology”