Blue moon

Subforum for discussion of astrology-related topics
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
kukl

Blue moon

Postby kukl » 06 Aug 2012, 12:52

There are three main definitions of the blue moon as far as i can see, i was wondering which one users of this forum would subscribe to. There's definitely one due, but when. I don't much like the August 31st one. This comes from the 2nd full moon in any calendar month. I can't see what the Gregorian calendar would have to do with anything pagan. Next contender is September 30th, this comes from taking the 3rd full moon in any season which has 4 full moons. Seems more natural and may well have been marked as special by our ancestors. Lastly there's October 29th. The 13th full moon of the pagan year. Any other contenders?
And I dreamed I saw the bombers riding shotgun in the sky, and they where turning into butterflies above our nation. Joni Mitchell

Explorer
OBOD Druid

Re: Blue moon

Postby Explorer » 06 Aug 2012, 13:36

There are three main definitions of the blue moon as far as i can see, i was wondering which one users of this forum would subscribe to. There's definitely one due, but when. I don't much like the August 31st one. This comes from the 2nd full moon in any calendar month. I can't see what the Gregorian calendar would have to do with anything pagan. Next contender is September 30th, this comes from taking the 3rd full moon in any season which has 4 full moons. Seems more natural and may well have been marked as special by our ancestors. Lastly there's October 29th. The 13th full moon of the pagan year. Any other contenders?
I think that first definition (2nd one in a month) is the most common one.
But I also understood that that was a misinterpretation of the second definition (3rd full in a season) by some radio show decades ago, and that it stuck around. I never heard of the third definition.

Personally, I use the first definition, because it is more common and easier to remember :grin:.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Return to “Astrology”