Rune Reading list

Subforum for the study of Runes
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Merlyn
OBOD Druid

Rune Reading list

Postby Merlyn » 15 Nov 2006, 01:40

Greetings fellow Rune Craft friends  :hiya:
  This thread will be a sticky for our favorite Rune Books and info. links

Please post in this thread;
Books that helped you find Rune Lore, like "The nine doors of Midgard"
(one of the first books on Runes I ever read) which went out of print for some time, and became an order of it's own. I believe it came back in print a while back but need to check on that, and of course "Futhark" one of the most well known.

In light
Merlyn /|\
Image :emerit:
Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o wybod, gwybod yn gyfiawn;
ac o wybod yn gyfiawn ei garu;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.

Herne

Postby Herne » 23 Nov 2006, 23:23

Yes, the Nine Gates of MIdhgar is back in print.  It is available through the Rune Gilds' Runa Press in the US.  That book and Edred's other books are invaluable sources or Runic learning.

tanequil
OBOD Druid

Postby tanequil » 28 Nov 2006, 15:00

Hi

Books on Rune lore I have found quiet good:-

- Helrunar by Jan Fries
- Northern Mysteries and Magick: Runes, Gods and Feminine Powers
- East Anglian Magic - by Nigel Pennick

tanequi
A Wizard is never late Frodo Baggins, he arrives precisely when he means to.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 29 Nov 2006, 12:51

Most importantly I think it is necessary to read

The Poetic Edda
Egil's Saga

Cheers, Dave.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Hefeydd
OBOD Bard

Postby Hefeydd » 02 Dec 2006, 02:02

I purchased a set of runes a few years ago with a book written by Ralph H. Blum called "The Book of Runes".  Anyone heard of it?  Is it worth reading or referencing, or should I use it to prop up a table leg and start over?  I plan on trying to find some of the books mentioned above, but I wanted to know if what I had would at least get me headed in the right direction.

(probably should have asked someone who had a clue before, but at least I have some runes to work with........)

Your Most Humble Bard,

Hefeydd
"I only want to know God's thoughts" - Albert Einstein

ImageImage
Circle of the Four Dragons

Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Postby Fitheach » 01 Jan 2007, 18:16

I recommend Taking Up the Runes, A Complete Guide to Using Runes in Spells, Rituals, Divination and Magic, by Diana Paxon.  She is a wonderful scholar and teacher, and a leader in the local Heathen community, who has written many novels and Pagan/Heathen books.
Tha gliocas an ceann an fhitich
Image Image Image

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 02 Jan 2007, 10:46

Hefeydd, the rule of thumb with Rune books is this - if it mentions a blank / wyrd Rune then use it to prop up a table.
My memory is uncertain but I think Blum's book falls into this category.

Cheers, Dave.

Hefeydd
OBOD Bard

Postby Hefeydd » 02 Jan 2007, 14:56

Thanks Dave,

You would be correct.  Blum's book does go into the "meaning" of a blank rune and includes one with the set.  I had heard that there is some controversy about the blank rune.  His explanation semed to make sense, but anything does to someone who is new to something.  I will have to give him some credit for the fact that his information as to the meanings and representations of the runes closely match those listed in other places.  But he puts them in a different order, one that appears to meet his own personal feelings versus tradition.  I do get the impression that his insights into the runes are based on a christian backgound.  Not that there is anything totally wrong with that.  My understanding is that the runes can be used by anyone for devination purposes.  But it does seem a little odd that a christian would use the runes.  Anyway, thanks for the input.  I'll keep reading the Poetic Edda and some of the websites listed above for now.

Cheers back at ya (clink),

Hefeydd

ImageImage

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 03 Jan 2007, 16:49

The arguments against the blank / wyrd rune are as follows:

1)   None of the Rune poems mention a blank / wyrd Rune
2)   Perthro - has the same meaning as the blank / wyrd Rune so why artificially create another?

Cheers, Dave.

bdunlap

Postby bdunlap » 03 Jan 2007, 20:37

Here's a list of books I'm familiar with and my opinions on them.  I also tacked on some weblinks at the end that might be helpful.

Bill

Aswinn, Freya.  Leaves of Yggdrasil.  Llewellyn, 1990.   (She also has a text called Northern Magic.  I don’t own it and have not read it but hear that it is really good... It may even be the same book with a different title.)

Brondsted, Johannes.  The Vikings.  Penguin Books, 1965.  (I don’t know if this is still in print, but it is a good primer on Viking society and has a great translation of portions of Havamal.)

Meadows, Kenneth.  Rune Power.  Castle Books, 2001.   (Inclined to approach the runes from a shamanistic standpoint… Unfortunately, his rune meanings are sometimes at odds with other authors.  Good as a “dissenting voice”.)

Pennick, Nigel.  The Complete Illustrated Guide to Runes.  Element Books Limited, 1999. (An excellent primer that covers history, different runic systems, and feminine aspects.   A good reference work, but isn’t an all-in-one book.)
--- Secrets of the Runes.  Thorsons, 1998.  (I believe this is out of print and now called “Rune Magic”, also out of print.  It has lots and lots of great information.)

Thorsson, Edred.  Futhark:  A Handbook of Rune Magic.  Red Wheel/Weiser, 1984.  (Great reference work.)
--- The Nine Doors of Midgard.  Llewellyn, 1994. (This is a full system of runic initiation and learning.  My gut feeling is that he tried to adapt the Golden Dawn framework to the runes.  It is difficult to follow the instructions verbatim but worth using to create your own system of study. )
--- Runelore.  Weiser, 1987.  (This book has a fair amount of duplicate information with his other works, but some good cosmology information in later chapters not found in his other works.)

Tolkien, JRR.  The Lord of The Rings.  

Tyson, Donald.  Rune Magic.  Llewellyn, 1988. (Definite Golden Dawn influences in the ritual and magic.  Some sections are open for interpretation and/or being ignored completely, but it has an excellent section on divinatory and magical rune meanings.)

Some Web Links one might find interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norse_myth ... ral_beings
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%86sir

http://www.timelessmyths.com/norse/aesir.html  (The site is well cross referenced and has good information on god forms.)

http://www.geocities.com/asagrundair/gods.htm  (This is more of a synopsis of Norse God forms)

Havamal and other ancient texts:
http://www.sacred-texts.com is a great place to start.

An extract is given at http://www.anomy.net/havamal/.

For reference, this is a full text version with sections labelled according to subject, theme, or content:
http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/havamal.html

This next site has all three rune poems.
http://www.ragweedforge.com/poems.html

More good source material for studying each rune of the Elder Futhark also comes from the above mentioned site at
http://www.ragweedforge.com/runemean.html . In particular this link is useful because it compares the runes against all three rune poems.

A great "one stop shop" is http://www.arild-hauge.com/eindex.htm.
Particularly good is the Sigdrifumal extract and the Secret Runes section.

Lisebethea

Postby Lisebethea » 07 Jan 2007, 22:46

His explanation semed to make sense, but anything does to someone who is new to something.  I will have to give him some credit for the fact that his information as to the meanings and representations of the runes closely match those listed in other places.  But he puts them in a different order, one that appears to meet his own personal feelings versus tradition.  I do get the impression that his insights into the runes are based on a christian backgound.  Not that there is anything totally wrong with that.  My understanding is that the runes can be used by anyone for devination purposes.  But it does seem a little odd that a christian would use the runes.  

I started studying the Runes last night and took to reading Blum's other book "The Healing Runes", which sounds very much like his earlier work. It was also written from a Christian perspective which surprised me. However, I did notice discrepency in his interpretation of the Runes in this "healing" way compared to the notebook that was given to me by a Norse friend.

I wrote Blum's interpretations and my friend's information side-by-side to see a sort of connection between the two. I was intrigued by the fact that although Blum listed one type of 5-Rune spread and my friend another, they were connected somehow, with each stone drawn-- no matter it's placement-- kept a similar meaning in the overall reading. Then again, I'm new to this.

I'm going to see if I can acquire some of the books listed here for a more rounded POV.

Slàinte!

Lise
*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´
swyn ym bywyd:.

Creirwy
OBOD Ovate

Postby Creirwy » 07 Jan 2007, 22:55

thorsson's 'rune lore' fabulous book that goes rather indepth. One you have to read with a pencil to make notes and underline things.

As well as all the others mentioned, I would advise reading a book about the culture of your runes (depending if they are elder futhark or anglo-saxon etc). I've got Way of Wyrd because I love the idea of anglo-saxon shaman type people, and a few history books on vikings and anglo-saxon cultures. If you cant put the runes into context accurately, you'll never be able to read them.

Fabit

Postby Fabit » 08 Jan 2007, 13:46

I'm very new to all of this but in reading a few books on runes, and searched the internet far and wide I have come to a few conclusions;

1) Make your own runes. The first ones will look poor but you'll get better.
2) read a variety of different peoples views and interpretations of the runes and take the parts you feel comfortable with.
3) Create your own spreads. It will work  best for you in the long run.
4) Always keep in mind where they come from and why the norse/germanic people made and used them so you don't wander too far away from the point.

I find that I don't want to put strict rules on runes as it is such a transient art, but keeping in focus it's origins is important.

But hey thats just me lol  :old:
Enter something profound of your choosing

Runemaster

Postby Runemaster » 13 Jan 2007, 14:37

I purchased a set of runes a few years ago with a book written by Ralph H. Blum called "The Book of Runes".  Anyone heard of it?  Is it worth reading or referencing, or should I use it to prop up a table leg and start over?  I plan on trying to find some of the books mentioned above, but I wanted to know if what I had would at least get me headed in the right direction.

(probably should have asked someone who had a clue before, but at least I have some runes to work with........)

Your Most Humble Bard,

Hefeydd
Ralph Blums` works on the runes should not be regarded as authorative in any meaningful way. They lack any historical or genuine heathen perspective. I made the mistake a few years ago of purchasing `The Healing Runes` and found it to be little more than a confused blending of runecraft and christianity.
A better starting point would be the works of Edred Thorsson, `Northern Magic`, `Futhark` and `Runelore` are pretty solid.
Thorsson, aka Dr Stephen Flowers has also translated `Das Geheimnis der Runen` in to English along wth other works by Guido von List and Karl Maria Willigut. He has a proper grounding in academic as well as esoteric studies.
Another good writer on the runes is Nigel Pennick.
Jan Fries` `Helrunar` is also not a bad tome and worth buying.

Kaylin

Postby Kaylin » 16 Jan 2007, 01:31

Greetings;

I have been studying the Runes for a while now and have found that the Blum book does not rate well amongst the Rune World.

Thorsson is definitely good and I found a book earlier called "The Runes Workbook" by Leon D. Wild, it has a good foreword and recommendation from Thorsson.

I cut and carved my own runes.

Bright Blessings,

Kaylin
"No matter where you go- there you are."

Silverleaf_Willow
OBOD Ovate

Postby Silverleaf_Willow » 20 Jan 2007, 10:33

My first experience with runes was through Ralph Blum's Book of Runes and The Healing Runes.  (I do believe he now has a new book out complete with 'rune cards').

Believing a reason exists for all things....I was thankful to Mr Blum for sparking the initial interest.  As I began to look for more historical (and valid) meanings and uses of the runes, I soon passed along the books to someone who would find them of value.

I have also owned a small book on runes by Lisa Peschal (I may have spelled her name wrong) also passed along to a friend...but I do remember that I had found the book helpful.  

My main resource has been the internet.  Two sites that I refer back to often are http://www.runeschool.org/  has free lessons and
http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/odin/

-Silverleaf Willow-

Hefeydd
OBOD Bard

Postby Hefeydd » 30 Jan 2007, 00:54

So it appears that the one thing I can thank Mr. Blum for is including a set of runes with the book.  I guess I got something for my money.  And I can always save the blank one in case I lose one (unless losing a rune is some kind of message.....).  Thank you to everyone who has made some suggestions for reading.  This should get me on the right track.  Now if I only had a study group to compare notes with.......... :grin:

Hefeydd

ImageImage

Aurora
OBOD Bard

Postby Aurora » 30 Jan 2007, 02:13

I've got  a book and rune set by Horik Svensson, which i found interesting though i'm a rank beginner to all this. Anyone heard of him?

I am worried after reading everyones stuff about the blank rune as he has included this in his book and set. But on a good point he has gone into a bit of the history of the runes and the norse people and how they used runes.
ImageImage

Wisdom begins in wonder-Socrates

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 30 Jan 2007, 12:58

Hi Aurora,
                       I reckon that Blum and Horik Svennsson sit on the same tree.  Like Silverleaf perhaps you should be happy that he's sparked your interest :grin:

Hi Hefeydd,
                          surely this is the place for you to have this discussion/ study group.
Perhaps discuss this with Merlyn/the mods but one way would be to start a new topic with each rune - perhaps allow a week or a month for posts before starting the next.

Obviously the place to start would be Fehu - post your thoughts / relationship with the Rune and see what flows from there.  I will be happy to add the info' that I have received over the years from my own meditations and others knowledge.  

Cheers, Dave.

P.S.  I consider myself a Conscious Incompetent as far as my Runic knowledge goes i.e. enough to be a danger to myself and others!   This is why I like to learn more and practice carefully.

Playing with Runes can lead to undesired life events! :gloomy:

Aurora
OBOD Bard

Postby Aurora » 31 Jan 2007, 02:08

Thanks for the reply DaRC!
I'll just have to track down some of the books mentioned here  :D
ImageImage

Wisdom begins in wonder-Socrates

Return to “Rune Study Group”