sacrificing to the runes.

Subforum for the study of Runes
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
linden
OBOD Druid

sacrificing to the runes.

Postby linden » 02 Oct 2011, 15:24

i've been reading 'runes theory and práctice, by galina krasskove, and she is very explicit that the spirit of each rune requires regular blood sacrifice. she also reinforces the message in each section that to work with the runes, one must expect hardship, and in her words 'pay dearly' for their help. what does everyone think?
i have to be honest, while i believe in sacrificing time, thought and energy into my magic and spirituality, the idea of this debt of suffering rather turns me off...

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Re: sacrificing to the runes.

Postby DaRC » 03 Oct 2011, 13:12

Hmmm I don't agree - there is little that I have seen in the extent Lore that indicates regular blood sacrifice to the Runes.
Egil Skallagrimsson doesn't seem to mention it.

This viewpoint is a very Odinist one, which I would expect from her.

If you don't follow the Odinist path then perhaps you don't need to.
Most mention some sort of sacrifice whilst making the runes and most people mention some sort of body fluid - blood, sweat, etc... being blended into their creation.

Perhaps this is a question you should ask the Runes?
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Return to “Rune Study Group”