Board security, privacy, and common sense

This is a read-only forum containing important information for all users of this message board.
Kernos
OBOD Druid

Board security, privacy, and common sense

Postby Kernos » 08 Feb 2004, 22:32

There is evidence that attempts have been made to hack into user accounts on this board. This is not conclusive, but I wanted to provide information that can help protect your privacy.

Though PHPBB is about as secure as a public board like this can be and much of the effort to improve PHPBB regards security issues, all boards have security exploits by their very nature of being open.

There are however some simple things you can do to protect your privacy and perhaps reputation on the board.

1. Do not put any information in your profile that you do not want to become public.

2. The only things we require are a username, password and email address.

We suggesting using handles rather than real names; use an email account other than your main email address - hotmail, yahoo, msn are good choices as they are easy to change. Give a general location instead of a specific town. I use Ozarks because I live in a small town, so could be easily tracked down.

3. Use email rather than PMs to talk privately. Email is much more secure than PMs on this board.

4. Change your password frequently. This is a 'duh', but most people do not do it. And do not give it to ANYONE. Use GOOD passwords that include letters, numbers and special characters. Do not use words or phrases. If my password were 'antlers', I could be easily guessed.

If anyone thinks their accounts are being hacked, please collect as much information as you can and be as specific as possible. Email your concerns to me (Kernos). An email link is on everyone's profile.

If anyone is being hassled, stalked or being sent inappropriate material by a member of this Board, please provide us with evidence. Although such behavior cannot be controlled by us, we can ban members who do it. But evidence must be reliable.

Kernos
:mracorn:
ImageImageImage"Help I'm Falling Thru A Hole in the Flag"

"Time is the Image of Eternity."

Time is the Fire in which we burn.

DJ Droood

Re: Board security, privacy, and common sense

Postby DJ Droood » 30 Aug 2010, 12:44

Wise advice.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Spirit Bear
OBOD Bard

Postby Spirit Bear » 30 Aug 2010, 19:56

Thanks for the advice Kernos :hug:
:brnbear: Spirit Medicine Bear :brnbear:

“Every animal knows more than you do.”—Native American Proverb
≈✿≈ We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals ≈✿≈ ~ Immanual Kant ~

Image Image Image

WolfendenS
OBOD Bard

Postby WolfendenS » 27 Oct 2010, 17:31

thank you for your guidlines..I'm a newbie...I need all the help I can get :-|

Return to “How to Use This Message Board”