My Own Oracle System

A place for exploration and discussion of all forms of divination, such as Ogham, Tarot, Runes and dowsing.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Kris Hughes
OBOD Bard

My Own Oracle System

Postby Kris Hughes » 01 Jan 2012, 00:39

I felt a strong prompting earlier in the year to make a sort of oracle card deck for my own use. At the time, I didn't realise that there was a whole industry devoted to this. (Forgive me - I don't get out much!) I decided not to look at what that industry had to offer, and just went forward with what I felt was right to do. My images are meant to provide material for contemplation and help in understanding a situation. I suppose there is a slight predictive element, and I do believe there is some form of higher energy at work here, but it isn't the sort of thing that's going to tell you "X" is going to happen.

My card images draw on the natural world as I knew it in the Scottish countryside. The meanings are based on both natural history and my own intuitive knowings of these things. This creation feels like something important that I have been given to help others. It is still developing - maybe always will be. This feels like it might be a good place to discuss it, although I don't want to get into writing a long long long message trying to describe it in detail at this point.

If anyone would like to help me by asking something about it, that might be the way to go. I wondered about offering to do a couple of readings (for free, of course) as a way for others to see what I'm doing at present, but I don't know if that's appropriate here.

Thanks for reading!
Kris
"Your horse is your mirror." ~ Linda Parelli

My Blog http://www.godeeper.info/blog.html

Crystal Dragon
OBOD Druid

Re: My Own Oracle System

Postby Crystal Dragon » 01 Jan 2012, 11:55

Hello Kris,

Knowing the work that can go into developing a set of tarot or oracle cards, I was interested to read your post. It is true that these days there are many tarot and oracle decks around but being able to develop one that is special to you is quite an achievement whether you keep it for you own use or in time, to share with others. Scotland has some wonderful scenery and wildlife, etc. - are your cards in colour and do you feature any animals, plants, etc. in particular? You say your cards are not strongly predictive which is how things should be given nothing is set in stone :)

I wish you well with this project and a wonderful 2012,

Blessings,

CD
ImageImageImage

When the Power of Love over comes the Love of Power, the world will know peace. (Jimi Hendrix)

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened
Anatole France (1844-1924)

Try to remember to be more Cat like... meditate regularly, be boundless and
purr a healing vibration!

Kris Hughes
OBOD Bard

Postby Kris Hughes » 01 Jan 2012, 17:24

- are your cards in colour and do you feature any animals, plants, etc. in particular? You say your cards are not strongly predictive which is how things should be given nothing is set in stone :)
My physical "deck" is still somewhat notional. I do have photographic images which relate to them on my computer, but I don't look at them that often, because I have them in my heart, they are clear in my memory. I have slips of paper with the names of the cards which I shuffle and choose from. I am strongly oriented to words, also, and I have written a short meaning for each card. I generally quote these in my reading, but, again, they are within me, too. I do hope to have a physical deck printed when things have been tested and refined a little more, but although I enjoy reading for others, selling the deck to others isn't my focus. I suspect that I will continue to use photographic images, which I do like, and I'm not convinced that any artwork that I could produce would appeal to me as much. It would be wonderful to have the chance to work with someone who does realistic nature illustrations, but it would be a big project for that person.

The cards include many plants, animals (wild and domestic/farm) as well as some which refer to weather, etc.

Thanks for your encouragement.

A happy New Year to you, CD!
Kris

Crystal Dragon
OBOD Druid

Postby Crystal Dragon » 03 Jan 2012, 12:09

Thank you Kris for telling me a little more about your oracle system. You mention photographic images and line illustration and perhaps a thought for the future might be to try combining both of these. There are some tarot decks that have done this and one of my favourites is the Sacred Circle Tarot.
Best wishes with your ongoing project.
CD
ImageImageImage

When the Power of Love over comes the Love of Power, the world will know peace. (Jimi Hendrix)

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened
Anatole France (1844-1924)

Try to remember to be more Cat like... meditate regularly, be boundless and
purr a healing vibration!

Explorer
OBOD Druid

Postby Explorer » 03 Jan 2012, 13:39

Hi Kris,

Interesting initiative, that could teach you a lot. I do have a question about it.

I work with the Tarot, specifically the DruidCraft Tarot and Wildwood Tarot.
The reason for this is that it combines some classical well-tested spiritual/mystical principles with a my personal flavor.

My personal flavor is nature, shamanistic style druidry, neo-paganism, sensuality and vivid compelling imagery.
The spiritual/mystical principles are the ways of following paths through life, full of challenges, situations, developments and outcomes.

The answers, advice, idea's you get are based on those mystical principles that are incorporated in the divination system. So it is important that it contains a well balanced, broad range of principles, situations, possibilities etc, that describe a broad spectrum of life as a human. Otherwise the results become unbalanced and skewed.

I thought about creating an oracle system also, but decided that one person can never have the wisdom to include such a wide range of situations and possiblities. In fact, it is usually the principles that I wouldn't have included that surprise and teach me the most.

How did you handle that in your oracle?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Kris Hughes
OBOD Bard

Postby Kris Hughes » 03 Jan 2012, 20:28

I work with the Tarot, specifically the DruidCraft Tarot and Wildwood Tarot.
The reason for this is that it combines some classical well-tested spiritual/mystical principles with a my personal flavor.

So it is important that it contains a well balanced, broad range of principles, situations, possibilities etc, that describe a broad spectrum of life as a human. Otherwise the results become unbalanced and skewed.

I thought about creating an oracle system also, but decided that one person can never have the wisdom to include such a wide range of situations and possiblities. In fact, it is usually the principles that I wouldn't have included that surprise and teach me the most.

How did you handle that in your oracle?
Thanks for writing about this! It is precisely because others may raise questions like this, that I need to be thinking about, that I made my first post. At one level the answer is that I probably haven't thought about it in quite these terms - but I will now!

My intuitive answer is that with anything we do, we must strike a balance between knowing when we are out of our depth, and being willing to make the attempt to create something where we will be challenged by the depth. Also, when we consider any system of teaching/learning/helping, as we look at it first, superficially without much understanding, and then go through various deeper levels of understanding and experience with it, I think we see it as more perfect, or more flawed, at various points in our journey with it. This may apply to Tarot, I imagine, although I am not familiar with it.

Kris

Explorer
OBOD Druid

Postby Explorer » 05 Jan 2012, 11:20

My intuitive answer is that with anything we do, we must strike a balance between knowing when we are out of our depth, and being willing to make the attempt to create something where we will be challenged by the depth. Also, when we consider any system of teaching/learning/helping, as we look at it first, superficially without much understanding, and then go through various deeper levels of understanding and experience with it, I think we see it as more perfect, or more flawed, at various points in our journey with it. This may apply to Tarot, I imagine, although I am not familiar with it.
What I mean is that you get out what you put in.
For instance, if all your cards have happy hippy meanings, then every advice you get from them will be happy hippy stuff. And since life isn't all happy hippy stuff this can lead to a somewhat inbalanced answers that don't add much to you understanding of real life.

The Tarot isn't perfect either.
Much of its imagery is based on christianity. Which for me is a belief system that can cause a lot of damage to the mind, the body and life in general.
So in the classical Tarot I am very careful with the imagery of devil, judgement, the pope, angels, etc. I don't want to be infected with bizarre idea's like sin, heaven and hell. But looking deeper, beyond the christian connotations, it also reveals principles that are valid for everybody. Like forgiveness, responsibility, goodness, or betrayal, destruction, brutality to name a few.

I don't see myself able to identify all those principles in life, especially the ones that I don't have personal experiences with.
So I guess I have a certain level of trust that wiser people than me have identified a lot of them, and encoded them in tools like the Tarot.
An easier task is to identify them in the Tarot and translate them to a more 'fitting' form. And I find that 'fitting' form in the DruidCraft and WildWood decks. (but I must admit that I didn't check whether they correctly translated the original principles, there are undoubtly some flaws, but also undoubtly some improvements).

But the method of the Tarot is also just one of the ways of looking at this. There are other tools also, that rehash the principles of life in other ways.
It would be interesting to compare some of them (like kaballah, i ching, perhaps even runes).
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Kris Hughes
OBOD Bard

Postby Kris Hughes » 05 Jan 2012, 23:37

No, definitely not all "happy hippie" meanings, but also not dualistic "good and evil" stuff. Of course, I am also sure that I could not possibly identify all the states or principles that could come up in even one person's life, let alone everyone's. However, if I may offer an analogy... I use Bach Flower Remedies, and know many other people who find that these help them in their daily lives. (Of course you may not believe in these and may think that Edward Bach was a nut, but bear with me.) Dr Bach identified 38 remedies for emotional states or if you prefer, positions that individuals tend to take in life. Each remedy is supposed to help balance a person who fits a "type" or who is experiencing a particular emotional state more temporarily. I find these remedies very helpful. However, sometimes I experience something which none of the remedies seem to describe. I may feel like a tool is missing from my tool kit.

Often, when I read or meditate on Bach's system, I find that the problem lies in my interpretation of how I feel, or in my interpretation of his descriptions. With a little more insight, I find that my need was provided for, after all. I believe that the same is probably true of systems of divination. That was what I was talking about in an earlier post, when I referred to perceived imperfections in a system seeming to reveal themselves, and later resolve themselves as we go deeper in our understanding. Of course an alternative interpretation of this process might be that I am deluding myself and drawing false conclusions that allow me to continue to have faith in something that I have invested time, energy and money into studying.

Kris

feranaja
OBOD Bard

Postby feranaja » 26 Jun 2013, 11:06

This is an older thread but i see Kris is still active here so I thought I'd resurrect it, and see how the project is going.

I too have been working on a Tarot deck for many years now - sporadically, I'm both perfectionistic and busy - as well as using a sort of lithomancy I put together when I was first studying magic and has served me very well ever since. I have hopes the bardic course will help me re-connect with my creativity and make time for it! Reading this thread from over a year ago, I was hoping to hear an update - have you continued with your oracle, Kris, or given it up? Maybe we can encourage each other.

Return to “Arts of the Seer”