Going to a training in Norse Seidr ritual

A place for exploration and discussion of all forms of divination, such as Ogham, Tarot, Runes and dowsing.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
RidgeDruid
OBOD Ovate

Going to a training in Norse Seidr ritual

Postby RidgeDruid » 25 Jan 2013, 15:20

3 day training this weekend with someone who helped recreate one modern version of this practice with Diana Paxton. I have attended several of her oracular rituals before and found them to be extremely powerful. I'm really looking forward to it, especially because I already know some of the other people who will be attending and feel comfortable working with them, which is good, because this stuff gets very deep. I'll report back after the training.
Formerly known as A.O. MacLyr

Image Image

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Re: Going to a training in Norse Seidr ritual

Postby DaRC » 26 Jan 2013, 14:19

Good stuff :D I'll be interested in your experience.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 26 Jan 2013, 16:50

While I read this, you'll be in the middle of it. Looking forward to your experiences!
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

RidgeDruid
OBOD Ovate

Postby RidgeDruid » 03 Feb 2013, 02:42

It was very interesting and quite intense. The workshop was held at a Hof run by Kindred in Columbia, Md. Most of the people there had experience with the particular ritual forms used. We did a lot of review on basic journeying tools, and then focused in particular tools used in this tradition, which involves journeying to various places in Midgard. We visited Hella's realm and the Norn, with different groups of people sitting in the High chair for the ritual to Hella's realm, and a different set of people sitting in the chairs of the Norn. There was a lot of supervision and monitoring by the more experienced practitioner. The actual "seeing" portion drops you into a very deep trance state. I was able to do the Norn ritual on the last day, and was a participant/observer/grounder at the other rituals. Some of the people came out of the high seat on the Hella's realm ritual feeling like they were plugged into a 220 volt outlet. Overall, it took me about 2 days for things to start to slow down in my head.

I was at somewhat of a disadvantage because my Norse lore is not strong, and as we all know, there is a significant use of the runes in this kind of work. I am weakest on the runes. I have read a number of books on the runes but am nowhere near being able to recognize more than a few. I picked up a copy of Paxton's rune book, which is really a one year course, and will start working with that and perhaps even see if I can start a local rune study group to meey 1 or 2x a month.

It raised some interesting issues for me regarding the degree of respect and adoption that is proper when working in another tradition. There was also one very interesting part where one of the Norn - Skuld - instructed the leader to call me by a certain name. That one is still bouncing in a very lively manner. I found it challenging and interesting, and hope to continue training in this tradition. I will get a chance to see Diana Paxton perform the high chair ritual next month, as well as go to her presentations at the Sacred Space conference outside Washington DC.

There is enormous power in this practice.

Image Image

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 04 Feb 2013, 14:16

You will probably want to read these - one of these contain's the only detail of a Seidhr ritual...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga_of_Erik_the_Red
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland_saga

Of course, this was viewed as women's magic and the usual insults followed that are recorded in Loki's Flyting

RidgeDruid
OBOD Ovate

Postby RidgeDruid » 05 Feb 2013, 02:57

My lore is still very weak at this point, and I can't cite any authority, but based upon what I have read so far but my understanding is that there were other references the ritual and that men, probably a minority, were accepted as practitioners. The culture changed, and as you say, it was viewed as receptive or women's magic. Thanks for the links!

Image Image

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 06 Feb 2013, 13:50

Ahh well yes, the roots could well be from Loki (aka in my practice as Loca) borrowing Freyja's cloak to shapeshift into a hawk. He also shape changes into a mare, gets pregnant and brings forth Odin's stallion Sleipnir.

Additionally, Adam of Bremen accuses the priests of Frey as dressing up like women (which is interesting as it comes from a Catholic priest!) and, I think, there is archaeological evidence for men being buried with feminine grave goods.

RidgeDruid
OBOD Ovate

Postby RidgeDruid » 11 Mar 2013, 14:27

I had the privilege of being a member of the Seidr ritual team led by Diana Paxon and Laurel Mendes at the Sacred Space conference last weekend. http://www.sacredspacefoundation.org/ Another Obodie and I who have studied with Laurel got to be warders. It was really a treat for me to meet Diana and work with her. An extraordinary woman.

It was really interesting being a warder, because you can't go full trance into the ritual, but you have to be tranced enough to pick up on whether the people who are fully tranced are too deep or are having issues. We also had to spend quite a bit of time clearing the ritual space - there were some nasty energy spots in the room. It was a very long night for me - we started the pre-rit stuff at 7:30, rit was 9:30-11:45, finished the debrief at 12:30 am. Many of the participants went to Denny's to consume large quantities of pancakes and sausage afterwards, but I was all in by then.

My wife and I also got to have dinner with Diana and Laurel and learned a lot about the origins of Diana's book on the runes and the runic initiation ceremony they had developed. Really a wonderful opportunity to watch and learn!

Image Image

RidgeDruid
OBOD Ovate

Postby RidgeDruid » 18 Nov 2014, 16:47

I have been continuing with this and had my first opportunity to sit as a seer at the Winter Nights gathering held by a local kindred. There were about 40 people in attendance. As the newbie seer I got to respond to four questions, and more experienced folk covered the rest. Very interesting, I didn't know what to expect, but I was apparently "approved" by the Norse deities involved, since I was able to respond to several questions by relating information provided to me by entities during the ritual. I am continuing with my rune studies and hope to be able to complete the formal runic initiation ceremony held by a local kindred some time next year. I did a full day training on the runes in June 2014 with my principal teacher which ended with a 4 hour guided meditation which was really powerful.

Image Image

Bart
OBOD Ovate

Postby Bart » 19 Nov 2014, 23:01

I am looking into this as well. I think the Nordic traditions might not be very different than the Celtic ones in some regions. If I read the different describtions on what bards and ovates did, and what is written on the nordic rituals, there is some similarity.

And as for man not allowed to do Seidhr, Odin was quit good at it.

Return to “Arts of the Seer”