Can I trust my visions?

A place for exploration and discussion of all forms of divination, such as Ogham, Tarot, Runes and dowsing.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Nachtfalke
OBOD Bard

Can I trust my visions?

Postby Nachtfalke » 03 Jul 2013, 16:46

Hi!

Some times I get a look into future... so it's just a short moment. Sometimes it's geting true, some times not. It is confusing to me and I am not sure when I can trust it or do it not. Is there any principle behind it? From where come this visions?
Or is it some time just luck and some time only imagination or wish-thinking?

I would be glad if anybody can teach me a little bit about...
bright blessings,
Nachtfalke

Explorer
OBOD Druid

Re: Can I trust my visions?

Postby Explorer » 03 Jul 2013, 17:45

Hi!

Some times I get a look into future... so it's just a short moment. Sometimes it's geting true, some times not. It is confusing to me and I am not sure when I can trust it or do it not. Is there any principle behind it? From where come this visions?
Or is it some time just luck and some time only imagination or wish-thinking?

I would be glad if anybody can teach me a little bit about...
You want the down-to-earth view?
It is not possible to litterly look into the future, at least I've never seen any proof of that.
It is possible to have a convincing idea of the future though. And especially when it is subconscious it can be hard to distinguish it from 'reality'.
And in a sense it is 'reality', but probably as a combination of your experience, knowledge, expectations and extrapolation of all that.
So, it is only logical that sometimes it comes true and sometimes it doesn't.

You can compare it with divination, like with tarot, astrology or other methods, you don't look into the future then either (a big misunderstanding). Instead you get a glimpse of the dynamics of your life and circumstances and are able to (consciously or not) project that as an image of a (possible) future. Which may or may not come true.

So what you seem to be doing is 'divination' without specific tools, and that is great.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Nachtfalke
OBOD Bard

Postby Nachtfalke » 03 Jul 2013, 22:02

Hi and thanks for your reply :)

Normally I am a very logical person, so I would say "okay, you're right". But there are some specially situation I couldn't now before and the "vision" was suddenly there. Some time later (most time about 2-3 months) the situation were real. And this is a fact I don't understand. And now I am unsure if I can trust in this visions or have a good feeling about it or even not.
They were just there and ploped in my thoughts ^^ there were no insert by myself...
bright blessings,
Nachtfalke

Bracken
OBOD Druid

Postby Bracken » 03 Jul 2013, 23:54

Nachtfalke, with experience, and over time, you will make your own mind up about this.

elementalheart
OBOD Druid

Postby elementalheart » 04 Jul 2013, 08:32

I would say don't trust them, since you already know they are not reliable to come true 100% so acting as if they were would be foolish. But consider their significance as each vision occurs, and learn what you can from them so that the actions you take as the future unfolds are informed by the possibilities you see and lead you to conscious choices to do the best you can in the world no matter how each situation turns out.

Whether any one particular vision comes true or not is less important than that you use what you are given to develop your willingness to look at potentials and decide who and what you wish to become. The attempt to take control and make them 100% accurate would be as pointless as taking the fatalistic and utterly trusting view that you would always be right despite your own evidence to the contrary. Walk the path of interest without need and it will be a fascinating exploration. Blessings on your journey.
Image Image Image

saphera
OBOD Bard

Postby saphera » 09 Jul 2013, 07:34

This is what I have been shown about visions of the future....This explanation might not be for everyone.

This might be a real stretch to understand. You have to understand that time is only a figment of the imagination..... created so we can experience each moment sequencially....thus forming a living conscious story.
There is a place where there is no time . Everything that is to happen has happened and everything that hasn’t happened at this time... has happened too.
Like a book, you only have to choose the page for it to be so. Seeing into the future is nothing more than connecting to this place and choosing to see. Connecting is like choosing a particular radio station frequency to listen to....or selecting a page of a book.
All you see about you is only part of something resembling a dream. Dreams can contain anything a mind can conceive and so are as near to explaining the happenings of reality as it is possible to understand.
Being ‘asleep’ is simply being totally involved in the workings of the mind that has created reality....living like there is nothing else than what is being experienced physically and emotionally....living the story or dream.
Being ‘awake’ is simply being totally connected to the knowingness that is behind everything that has happened and hasn’t happened in a time frame.
In that connection, it is possible to see into the future because you are connected to the mind that has created it all.... the :idea: writer of the book and the dreamer of the dream.
In all endings are beginnings....

katie bridgewater

Postby katie bridgewater » 09 Jul 2013, 09:19

Thinking one has had a premonition or vision of the future is quite common, but along with some of the others here, I am inclined to think it's largely a matter of luck borne out of sensitivity, logic, instinct and fear. I also don't think knowing the future is of the least bit use in most cases, if indeed it does happen (which I think is possible). I also think that people (myself included) are inclined to get very excited or spooked if they think they might have this ability, but I have come to the conclusion that even if such a gift were to exist then it would make no difference to how amazing or good a person is anyway. It might be that if someone were truly able to know the future, then it might be possible to develop that ability, but I'm not sure what good it would do anyone! What Explorer said about divination and the dynamics of life is much more useful advice and is something anyone can get into if they want to.

Here are some examples from my own life that helped to form my opinion and why:

1) I dreamt about 15 years ago that a light aircraft crashed into the canal near to my houseboat. The following day (or maybe 2 days) a light aircraft crashed about 40 miles from my home, killing the 2 people inside. My initial reaction was to assume I had foreseen the future, but on reflection, I decided that even if I had, then such a premonition was pointless since I had no way of knowing if it would happen, or of acting on it to stop it happening. I also examined the dream and concluded that it was just as likely (well actually more)to be about my own subconscious since most of my other dreams are, and that taken this way, the dream had a purpose that could be acted upon. I may have tapped into something, but if I did, I had no idea that I had, and what could I have done anyway? Unless the whole point was for to make me feel terrible responsible, which I don't believe for one second.

2) I was due to make a long trip by car to Scotland to visit my sister. I had a really strong feeling that the front drivers side tyre was going to have a flat, so I went to the tyre place the day before I set off to have all my tyres checked, balanced and whatever. The next day, I got up ready to leave at dawn to find the front drivers side tyre had a flat.
I use this story to illustrate the point that in most cases I have ever experienced or heard about, the ability to know the future has been of precisely no value and does not make the knower at all special since they are usually powerless to do anything anyway.

3) I sometimes have 'visions' of bad things that might happen, eg car accidents when I'm driving on a motorway, or someone having an accident at work with an axe. These are not 'premonitions' though, they are my mind warning me of real threats and reminding me to be alert at all times. much more useful than premonitions! And very effective at making me careful, which is the whole point. The one time someone did hurt themselves with an axe, it's because they were not following proper procedure, despite being taught.

This may all sound very cynical, but in fact, I have found it immensely liberating to work out that I am not that important or special just because I sometimes seem able to know stuff in advance. Time, and our perception of it and our place in it are amazing, but we would do better to try and undo some of the damage in this world that has already taken place, than to try and predict and mend stuff that may or may not happen.
Last edited by katie bridgewater on 09 Jul 2013, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.

feranaja
OBOD Bard

Postby feranaja » 10 Jul 2013, 17:43

I'm a seer, and I've learned to respect my gift, use it wisely, and look - sometimes a long time - for meaning beyond the possibility of prevention. If you don't trust your gift, it tends to disappear.

Many of my students have come to me with exactly this issue, and then gone on to develop it deeply, with astrology, Tarot and other forms of divination. I work with mostly Tarot and animal augury, and remain humble AND grateful, burdened and blessed, by this ability.

Just presenting another perspective. :)

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 10 Jul 2013, 18:47

Hi Nachtfalke,
in your situation I would keep a diary to help explore these visions and their relationship with reality. I'd include dreams as well.
Blessings,
S
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

Corwen

Postby Corwen » 10 Jul 2013, 20:45

If you can actually predict the future Feranaya I suggest you apply for the free $1million that Randi's foundation are offering.

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

Funnily enough no-one has actually managed to demonstrate any such 'powers' were more than their own imagination.

Besides, look at it logically- if the future can be known then it is fixed and knowing it is useless as it cannot be changed. If it is not fixed then it cannot be known for certain.

I am with the Hindus on this one, if such powers exist then they are simply more Vritti (disturbances in consciousness like any other thought) and pursuing them, like pursuing any transient phenomenon, is a distraction from the Great Work.
Last edited by Corwen on 10 Jul 2013, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
My Homepage, music, instrument making, articles, pilgrimage and more! http://www.ancientmusic.co.uk
My Blog: http://www.katecorwen.wordpress.com
My Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/KATEandCORWEN
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kate-Cor ... 840?ref=hl

feranaja
OBOD Bard

Postby feranaja » 10 Jul 2013, 20:49

:)

We all know what we are open to knowing. I wish you much peace, Corwen.

Corwen

Postby Corwen » 10 Jul 2013, 20:51

:)

We all know what we are open to knowing. I wish you much peace, Corwen.
We are all apt to mislead ourselves too, and think we are special. This is usually a psychological defence mechanism. I wish you peace too.
My Homepage, music, instrument making, articles, pilgrimage and more! http://www.ancientmusic.co.uk

feranaja
OBOD Bard

Postby feranaja » 10 Jul 2013, 21:07

Are you not special, Corwen? I don't know you, but feel sorry if you don't feel and know your own specialness. I certainly am special, as is everyone here. We all have our gifts, talents and challenges, our beauty and Shadow and genius;it seems pop psychology is a talent of yours. ..given that you know nothing about me, I'd say that's a form of seership, no?
:wink:

the specialness in me greets the specialness in you...namaste.

fera

Corwen

Postby Corwen » 10 Jul 2013, 21:45

Are you not special, Corwen? I don't know you, but feel sorry if you don't feel and know your own specialness. I certainly am special, as is everyone here.
I think it is important not to confuse uniqueness with specialness. I am unique, as we all are, there is no other individual exactly like me anywhere. However since this is true for every living and non living thing on the planet it is hardly special is it?

If everything is special, are we not misusing the word?
We all have our gifts, talents and challenges, our beauty and Shadow and genius;it seems pop psychology is a talent of yours. ..given that you know nothing about me, I'd say that's a form of seership, no?
:wink:

the specialness in me greets the specialness in you...namaste.

fera
You could call it pop psychology, I might call it experience. Hanging out with Pagans for 20 years or so I've met a lot of people who made claims about their 'special' abilities, and they tend to share other character traits, as although we are all unique, we are also all human. Of course being human I am also fallible :)

Personally I enjoy the incredible wonder that is the natural world from the perspective of the awesome thing that is a human body and so I don't feel the need to gild the lily.

The utterly marvellous ordinariness of me greets the extraordinarily beautiful total mundaneness in you.

feranaja
OBOD Bard

Postby feranaja » 10 Jul 2013, 22:02

Maybe we're misusing the word, yes... but, I've been clairvoyant since childhood, I'm a woman of magic, I live this Path - and I know what I know. It doesn't quite work as many think - on command, win the lottery etc - but it does occur, just as faerie-animals appear and bring messages to the aware amongst us. It's been part of my life's work to cultivate the ability to keep that "Starlight Vision" open and aware, while at the same time not indulging in flights of fancy or looking for mystery everywhere (in that sense of the term! in another, of course Mystery is indeed 'everywhere').

There are methods of development one can use to work with this extraordinary ability, to cultivate it with care and in balance, and I'd encourage the OP to do so. I love the - yes, extraordinary - life I have been led to via my visions and sensitivities, and I just feel it's unfair to shut someone else down so summarily. Can visions be trusted? Indeed, but it takes some skill, and they are not always what they seem.

It's probably closer to 30 years around other Pagans for me but I have isolated myself this last while, to focus on study, and to prevent cynicism from taking hold. If I'd stayed as active as I once was, I might have a different view of magic than I currently do - and that would be a shame. There's a lot to be said for containment. :)

Corwen

Postby Corwen » 10 Jul 2013, 22:12

I'd love to talk more, but I have a garden to water, a cake to bake, and the unicorns won't feed themselves.

feranaja
OBOD Bard

Postby feranaja » 10 Jul 2013, 22:17

Much the same here, alas no cake. Enjoy your evening.

Mountainheart
OBOD Bard

Postby Mountainheart » 11 Jul 2013, 08:43

I suspect that the answer to 'seeing into the future' might lie at the level of quantum physics. It has already been shown that quantum entanglement can happen to photons existing at different times (see
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1566 ... e-and-time ) and it has been shown that human observation has an impact at a quantum level (see http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/19 ... 055013.htm for example). It isn't a huge leap of logic to speculate that in some way our consciousness can somehow use such proven physical properties of the universe to 'see' the future.

Thx
David

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 11 Jul 2013, 17:28

I'd love to talk more, but I have a garden to water, a cake to bake, and the unicorns won't feed themselves.
Is the cake for the unicorns? I've always wondered what they ate...

Return to “Arts of the Seer”