Black Newfoundland type dog with deer antlers?

A place for exploration and discussion of all forms of divination, such as Ogham, Tarot, Runes and dowsing.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Corvid

Black Newfoundland type dog with deer antlers?

Postby Corvid » 28 Sep 2015, 03:36

I was hoping someone could give me a little insight. I don't usually remember many of my dreams, but a few weeks ago I dreamt of a large black dog, either a Mastiff or Newfoundland, I don't remember exactly, that had a beautiful set of antlers. He seemed to be waiting for me at the edge of a forest. I felt no malice, only that perhaps he was a messenger of some kind. I woke up before I was able to reach him and haven't been able to shake the image.

Has anyone else seen this before or know what he may want?

Bright Blessings,
Corvid

Corvid

Re: Black Newfoundland type dog with deer antlers?

Postby Corvid » 30 Sep 2015, 16:00

13 views and not one comment. I've posted in other Druid forums as well and no one has any thoughts. :-(

Saphidha
OBOD Ovate

Postby Saphidha » 01 Oct 2015, 05:46

I'm not sure what your black dog may mean. Maybe it’s okay to sit with the image for a bit, it may become clearer in time. I dreamed only recently of three birds, all smoky grey with white crests. I have no idea what species (if any) they are or what they may mean. Perhaps they will come back again.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 01 Oct 2015, 12:26

Ahh I missed this - have you checked out Black Shuck viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37128
And thishttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolpertinger

But maybe think about the symbolism of the Antler and the Dog.
This is down to your personal insight but more generically, for example, within Celtic lore the Dog has healing symbolism whilst the Antler symbolism has links to the Cernunnos or the energy of the wild hunt...
The wild hunt often has a leader and he has a pack of hounds
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwyn_ap_Nudd and his dog https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dormarch
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

David Great Bear
OBOD Bard

Postby David Great Bear » 01 Oct 2015, 17:43

I do like what DaRC has to say. My first thought about the dog was that it can be a symbol or metaphor for loyalty. The antlers of course may have to do with The Horned God or some similar energy. Blessings!

David Great Bear :brnbear:
“People say that what we’re all seeking is a meaning for life. I don’t think that’s what we’re really seeking. I think that what we’re seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life experiences on the purely physical plane will have resonances with our own innermost being and reality, so that we actually feel the rapture of being alive.”
― Joseph Campbell, The Power of Myth

Corvid

Postby Corvid » 01 Oct 2015, 19:32

Ahh I missed this - have you checked out Black Shuck viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37128
And thishttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolpertinger

But maybe think about the symbolism of the Antler and the Dog.
This is down to your personal insight but more generically, for example, within Celtic lore the Dog has healing symbolism whilst the Antler symbolism has links to the Cernunnos or the energy of the wild hunt...
The wild hunt often has a leader and he has a pack of hounds
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwyn_ap_Nudd and his dog https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dormarch
Thank you for tackling my dream, DaRC! I don't think Shuck is related as I felt no aversion or fear and he didn't seem to be bringing my an ill omen.

Perhaps the Cernunnos link or Dormach of the Wild Hunt fits. He was an incredibly beautiful and large dog, I wish I could see him again. His antlers put some bucks I've seen to shame. :)

A few months ago I tried asking Cernunnos if we was interested in forming a relationship with me, being one of my patrons. As an ecologist I of course feel very close to Nature and work with it every day in some fashion as my profession. I received no signs so I gave up on trying to make contact. Months later is this him? I wish the Gods were straight forward for my very logical scientific brain!

Corvid

Postby Corvid » 01 Oct 2015, 19:35

I do like what DaRC has to say. My first thought about the dog was that it can be a symbol or metaphor for loyalty. The antlers of course may have to do with The Horned God or some similar energy. Blessings!

David Great Bear :brnbear:
Thank you for chiming in, David. :) I agree DaRC has made some excellent points, I have much to consider. I tried contacting Cernunnos a few months ago about being one of my patrons without a sign, perhaps he is reminding me he's here.

Green Raven

Postby Green Raven » 01 Oct 2015, 22:12

Just some ideas -

Yes, the antlers shout out Cernunnos, the Horned God, but do not forget his other names - Esus the Woodsman and Smertrios the Provider.

He has appeared at the edge of the forest to greet you and maybe you need to move to the edge of your ‘comfort zone’ to meet with him so that he may provide for you?

A dog is often seen with Cernunnos/ Esus emphasising his woodsman personality and the Wild Hunt that his later incarnation, Herne, leads. Is there something you need to find or chase?

The hound may also allude to the Cŵn Annwn - the hunting hounds of the Otherworld, autumn is their time, the time of the migrating geese. When you defeat or divert the Cŵn Annwn, like Pwyll, you are set a mighty spiritual task for which you will need all your ingenuity and proficiency. Perhaps The Woodsman has selected you for your vocational and philosophical skillset?

We are approaching the days when the veil between the worlds grows thin – best wishes for your quest!
“Listen, O little pig! are not the buds of thorns
Very green, the mountain beautiful, and beautiful the earth?”
- Myrddin Wyllt, Hoianau / Greetings (to a Pig)

Corvid

Postby Corvid » 02 Oct 2015, 04:24

Thank you, Green Raven. You've certainly given me much to think about. It brings me great joy to hear from the Horned Good and I hope to not let him down. I'm going to do some searching and reading and really think on all of the advice I've received. I very much appreciate the insight given.

Blessings to you and all who have replied.

Return to “Arts of the Seer”