The Artic Baffin Island:microcosm of the planet's climate ch

The ancient druids were considered the Scientists of their day. This forum is for the discussion of topics relating to Natural History, Science and Technology.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Florence

The Artic Baffin Island:microcosm of the planet's climate ch

Postby Florence » 06 Nov 2007, 18:21

The weather on Baffin is mercurial -one of the few places in the world where you can experience all four seasons within an hour. Sunshine can swiftly be followed by a blizzard; temperatures can fall from -10C to -40C with wind chills of -50C.

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/20 ... s-baf.html
:gloomy: :anx: :warm: :gloomy:
Watch the stars when you are homesick
Be a dream chaser no matter how things are
Search for Light when it's dark and cloudy
and be always happy at all events
because you're a manifestation of love
and peace is you birthright

DJ Droood

Re: The Artic Baffin Island:microcosm of the planet's climat

Postby DJ Droood » 28 Apr 2010, 13:29

http://www.physorg.com/news191245345.html
Satellite takes a space-eye view of Arctic ice

While Haas focuses his work on sea ice, Sharp will work to validate the satellite's reading of land-based ice sheets. Sharp says that while previous radar telemetry surveys of Arctic land masses focused on large land forms like Greenland, CryoSat 2 will include data from smaller ice formations covering islands in the Canadian Arctic.

"We have evidence that in the last decade the ice-mass loss in the Canadian Arctic has gone up from 15 cubic kilometres a year to close to 100," said Sharp. "As far as we can tell most of this is from surface melt, but we couldn't tell that from previous satellite surveys."
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 24 Oct 2010, 16:38

As with everything else that changes on our world so is the change from warm to cold and back ,,Mankind may have influenced this change but not by much,,We destroy a forest and build a city and the forces of nature find the open space a great place to grow a tornado or winds to blow away the soils,,Some day we will learn to grow trees to protect the land where we grow smaller patches of food to eat what we have and not waste so much,,Mankind is a virus on the earth and we are killing our host :old:
Through my eyes you still see,, Through my heart you still live ,, For as long as i have breath you will sing,,Thanks Mom

Huathe

Postby Huathe » 24 Oct 2010, 23:51

I so much agree with you, Deepwater! :applause:
James E Parton
Bardic Course Graduate - Ovate Student
New Order of Druids

" We all cry tears, we all bleed red "_Ronnie Dunn

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/
http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
http://www.burningman.com/

DJ Droood

Postby DJ Droood » 31 Jul 2011, 01:14

This evening I was speaking with a young woman from Baffin Island...Iqaluit...and she said this past New Year's Day was the first one anyone could remember when there was no ice in Frobisher Bay, and the ice breaker wasn't needed all winter. Usually, the bay ices up early..maybe October...and stays well into June.

dvawlqos

Postby dvawlqos » 02 Aug 2011, 14:01

deepwater wrote:As with everything else that changes on our world so is the change from warm to cold and back ,,Mankind may have influenced this change but not by much,,We destroy a forest and build a city and the forces of nature find the open space a great place to grow a tornado or winds to blow away the soils,,Some day we will learn to grow trees to protect the land where we grow smaller patches of food to eat what we have and not waste so much,,Mankind is a virus on the earth and we are killing our host :old:

true, but it usually ends up hurting the people not involved in the decisions.
Much that was called religion has carried an unconscious attitude of hostility toward life. True religion must teach that life is filled with joys pleasing to the eye of God, that knowledge without action is empty. All men must see that the teaching of religion by rules and rote is largely a hoax. The proper teaching is recognized with ease. You can know it without fail because it awakens within you that sensation which tells you this is something you’ve always known.

Conclusion of the "Commentaries" in "Appendix II: The Religion of Dune"

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 03 Aug 2011, 01:09

Where I walk out back to get to the Grove I see many microcosms,,A stump covered in moulds and some tree litter is the start for the British soldiers and mosses maybe a shroom or 3 and lots of bugs than a small tree takes root and roots cover the outside of the stump and as it rots away the tree gets bigger only to find its not rooted on solid ground but its standing on several legs and will fall soon,,likens on rocks along with the weather of heat cold wet and dry break the stone and dirt it made moss grows and plants and the stone is smaller than buried under centuries of time,,shade comes and goes fire opens the earth and the heat kills plants not suited for full sun and the area gets bigger the climate changes all over,,We affect it and We can change it,,But not in a week or a year,,This must be a planet wide change of planting things to shade the earth slow the winds and hold the soil,,Don't get me wrong we need the open plans and deserts marshes and coastal fringes to keep the earth breathing,,If we don't we will burn up the lands and lose the waters,,This I have seen though the Grove,,This is not something that can be stoped but it can be softened over the next several decades
Through my eyes you still see,, Through my heart you still live ,, For as long as i have breath you will sing,,Thanks Mom

DJ Droood

Postby DJ Droood » 27 Aug 2011, 13:23

Prime Minister Stephen Harper wrapped up his annual tour of the North on Friday amid fresh signs that the region has experienced another major meltdown this summer, including the renewed opening of the southern route of the Northwest Passage and a severe overall ice retreat still threatening to smash 2007's record-setting thaw.

The Canadian Ice Service confirmed Friday that a southerly shipping route through Canada's Arctic islands can now be safely navigated, though shifting winds could quickly send ice floes into a key strait near Nunavut's Victoria Island and complicate any voyage through the Northwest Passage.

Meanwhile, the U.S.-based National Snow and Ice Data Center has released data showing total Arctic ice is once again retreating below the five-million-square-kilometre mark, meaning the five greatest melts since satellite measurements began in the late 1970s have occurred in the past five years.

Read more: http://www.canada.com/technology/retrea ... z1WEOQSyE0
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 27 Aug 2011, 18:14

I have seen through the Grove many disturbing things ,,She shows me more dark waters and faces than anything,,I see as the ice melts the waters change and a great weight is lifted from the earth in one place and a greater weight is added to the ocean floor ,,this is like popping a pimple,,I see it about to pop all over the planet

Return to “Natural History”