It is Autumn Already!

The ancient druids were considered the Scientists of their day. This forum is for the discussion of topics relating to Natural History, Science and Technology.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Badger Bob
OBOD Druid

It is Autumn Already!

Postby Badger Bob » 17 Aug 2011, 13:00

I got my first conker of the season this morning when a blackbird flicked it at my feet as I walked under the tree. I make it about three weeks earlier than last year but it means that SUMMER IS OVER - hooray!!! The blackbirds are digging in, the trees are fruiting like it is going out of fashion, I reckon we are in for a bit of a long cold winter this year.

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Re: It is Autumn Already!

Postby Heddwen » 17 Aug 2011, 13:25

yep, there was condensation on the windows this morning...my thoughts also

Muddy Fox

Postby Muddy Fox » 17 Aug 2011, 16:42

I have got that autumnal feeling in the air on my walks. Some gold leaves on the grass, beneath a couple of trees, very green ripe conkers, lots of them around the edge of one field. And this morning just beautiful, a delicate mist coming off the river in the morning sun. Silver spider's webs criss crossing the path before me looped, from branch to branch and trailing across my face and arms as I walk through the trees. I had a big spider on my arm the other day. a I can tell that I am the first one to walk that path in the morning because the webs are intact from the night's spinning. I'll be tracking people and animals from their prints in the mud next. I love autumn, all the colours.

Reyna
OBOD Bard

Postby Reyna » 17 Aug 2011, 16:56

What's a conker?

Its getting that way here-the days are hot but its almost that desperate hot of the last few days of summer-those days that know the heat is about to fade so they burn as hot as they can. There's just a..maybe smell? In the air. *sigh* Summer's about to leave us.
Let love drive you, guide you, burn in you.

skh
OBOD Ovate

Postby skh » 17 Aug 2011, 17:46

Reyna wrote:What's a conker?

A seed of the horse chestnut tree if I'm not mistaken.

They still need a few weeks here.

peace /|\
Sonja
I don't think anybody ever died thinking they loved people too much, or had too much joy, or made too much music.

Badger Bob
OBOD Druid

Postby Badger Bob » 17 Aug 2011, 20:49

All about conkers

DJ Droood

Postby DJ Droood » 17 Aug 2011, 21:51

Badger Bob wrote:

All about conkers

oh those..I remember buying a paper bag full on a London street...they sing about them at Christmas, so they must be good, right? OMG...

oh wait, those aren't the edible kind of chestnuts.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Susanne
OBOD Ovate

Postby Susanne » 17 Aug 2011, 21:56

Thanks for the explanation about conkers! Yup, we call them buckeyes but they're not hardy around where I live so I only know them from when I was a kid & lived in a warmer area.
Autumn is just around the corner here as well. The apples are ripening on the trees, blueberries are plentiful (yum!) and I saw a flock of geese fly over when I was driving to work yesterday. I also saw a beautiful buck on my way to work this morning. The leaves will be turning soon. Some of the more stressed trees are already showing color.
It's a bit early for the geese to be leaving but when there is a nip in the air in the morning it seems to make the animals restless & flex their wings (so to speak) so we see a lot more of them out & about.
BTW....has anyone ever seen a hummingbird moth? I just got home & there was one feeding at the flowers on my porch. It was a fantastic little beastie! I've seen them before but never for so long & so close. I tried to get pictures but all I had was my phone. I got a bit of video as well. If it turns out OK I'll try to post it.
Enjoy the day!
Sue

skh
OBOD Ovate

Postby skh » 17 Aug 2011, 22:21

Badger Bob wrote:

All about conkers

Amazing! In primary schools in germany, conkers are made into more or less clumsy little puppets or toy animals, year after year, to dry out and become really ugly within days.

See here for examples.

I always tried to find one really round and beautiful and undamaged and carried it around with me as long as it was shiny and smooth. (Or until the trousers went into the washing machine.)

peace /|\
Sonja
I don't think anybody ever died thinking they loved people too much, or had too much joy, or made too much music.

Jake
OBOD Ovate

Postby Jake » 18 Aug 2011, 00:54

Heddwen wrote: there was condensation on the windows this morning...

Angelique11 wrote:And this morning just beautiful, a delicate mist coming off the river in the morning sun.

Susanne wrote: The apples are ripening on the trees, blueberries are plentiful (yum!) and I saw a flock of geese fly over when I was driving to work yesterday. I also saw a beautiful buck on my way to work this morning. The leaves will be turning soon.

That all sounds so lovely!

It was 104 degrees F (40 C) here today. I believe that's the 31st day in a row of triple-digit temperatures and the 63rd day this year overall here in Austin. And the forecast calls for more of the same for the foreseeable future.

I often miss real autumns, living this far south. (I do not, however, miss real winters! You can keep them!) It was always my favorite season as a kid. I mean we have autumn here but it's not the same. For one thing, it doesn't really start in August. :wink:

But it's not high summer here anymore either, regardless of the temperature. The quality of the sunlight has changed. And the western cottonwood is losing its leaves. And just this morning for the first time I heard a crow and looked up in time to see it fly away from the top of the cottonwood. They're sort of rare birds here, their ecological niche being mostly occupied by grackles, but there are a pair that show up daily on and around that cottonwood in August or September and disappear again in April or so for the past couple of years. Unusual.

One of the neatest things that's happened in my life since I began the OBOD course is getting more in touch with this Place where I live and becoming more aware of it's subtle shifts and changes. When I first moved here I thought there were two seasons: Hot & Dry and Warm & Wet. :grin:

Not to say I wouldn't enjoy some of those misty mornings or clear, bracing fall breezes. It would be such a relief from the heat! But we'll probably have to wait til December to get some of that. :anx:

Susanne
OBOD Ovate

Postby Susanne » 18 Aug 2011, 01:42

Jake wrote:Not to say I wouldn't enjoy some of those misty mornings or clear, bracing fall breezes. It would be such a relief from the heat! But we'll probably have to wait til December to get some of that. :anx:

Oh, I was listening to the radio about the blistering heat & drought in Texas. I hope that you get some relief soon. By the time you get Autumn it will probably be below zero here with a foot of snow on the ground. I guess it's all what you're used to! :D
Stay cool....

Badger Bob
OBOD Druid

Postby Badger Bob » 18 Aug 2011, 09:36

DJ Droood wrote:oh wait, those aren't the edible kind of chestnuts.

These are horse chestnuts, try to eat them and you will be left on all fours, whinnying and defecating on the floor... :sick:

Huathe

Postby Huathe » 18 Aug 2011, 16:14

Hints of fall are starting here in the NC mountains too. The katydids sing loudly at night and the goldenrod and morning glory are in bloom. The nights have cooled just slightly too. And yes, the buckeyes ( Conkers ) are ripening here too. And the fat female spiders make orb webs on my porch. I let them be.

However fall seems to come slower and later here than it used to. Global warming is having it's effects.
James E Parton
Bardic Course Graduate - Ovate Student
New Order of Druids

" We all cry tears, we all bleed red "_Ronnie Dunn

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/
http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
http://www.burningman.com/

Cosmic Ash
OBOD Druid

Postby Cosmic Ash » 18 Aug 2011, 22:06

I saw the first ripe blackberries last week, and some hawthorn berries too. I've taken the honey off my bees and we're starting to get them ready for winter. Despite all the rain it still doesn't feel like the season's turning just yet...

Susanne
OBOD Ovate

Postby Susanne » 19 Aug 2011, 10:52

Cosmic Ash wrote:I've taken the honey off my bees and we're starting to get them ready for winter.

Oh, I've been considering keeping bees for a while now but haven't gotten going on it yet. I'd love to hear about your experiences.
Maybe we could start a beekeeping thread so as not to get off topic here.
Susanne

Rachel

Postby Rachel » 19 Aug 2011, 22:36

Oh yes, shorter days, foggy mornings, and harvesting... i have lived in the same home now for about 18 years and i have to say that this is the most abundant fruit year i have ever seen-apples, hawthornes, wild raspberries and blackberries, wild and planted blueberries- all loaded with fruit...my gooseberries bent to the ground with fruit-black currants gone crazy and some american plums i planted a decade ago bearing fruit for the first time. Elderberries!! Chokecherries!! i cannot keep up with the bounty-no freezer, so pies and jelly galore. I'm glad the bears and birds will have plenty!

Just wondering, has anyone else seen similar?- I'm in Northern New Hampshire.

Peace,

Susanne
OBOD Ovate

Postby Susanne » 20 Aug 2011, 02:59

Rachel wrote:Just wondering, has anyone else seen similar?- I'm in Northern New Hampshire.

Yes indeed, I have seen the same, especially the apples & elderberries. I'm in northern Vermont.
A sign of a long hard winter to come?!

Rachel

Postby Rachel » 21 Aug 2011, 13:49

Susanne wrote:A sign of a long hard winter to come?!

Well, it will be interesting to see-the woodshed is full, just in case! :)

Zylah
OBOD Ovate

Postby Zylah » 23 Aug 2011, 04:15

It's my first year here in central-northern California, so I don't know what to expect! Lately I have noticed only that the sun sets sooner; I'm told that we only really have Wet and Dry seasons here. I can only hope that if it is indeed a cold, hard winter back East, my children will be able to join me before it sets in.
Where the forest murmurs there is music: ancient, everlasting.
- Fiona MacLeod

"I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible." -- Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

helenoftheways

Postby helenoftheways » 01 Oct 2011, 09:48

Walking in the park with my dog this autumn, I found this mystery nut - see here!
I first thought it was an acorn, but it wasn't! (Read all the comments...!)
Yesterday I discovered the tree that it came from!
:idea:

We are having an 'Indian summer' here in the UK, with temps up to 30C! :yay: Makes up for the cr@p summer we had!
Change the way you see things, and the things you see will change.

Return to “Natural History”