It is Autumn Already!

The ancient druids were considered the Scientists of their day. This forum is for the discussion of topics relating to Natural History, Science and Technology.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
skydove
OBOD Ovate

Re: It is Autumn Already!

Postby skydove » 01 Oct 2011, 10:05

Not wishing to be pedantic but rather to quote my husband who listens to these things on the radio - 'you can only have an indian summer if you have had a frost first, what some of the media are calling it is a barbecue autumn" - it's great to get this warmth so late on. I was gardening yesterday and there were primroses out and bulb shoots half a hand high, though I suppose all this new growth will be killed when the frosts come.
Image 2010 SB Image2011 LI Image Image2011 SB
'much of what she heard from the trees was her own self echoed back'
http://www.suerodger.moonfruit.com/.
December 2013 Seminar - Mask Making with Plaster Bandages

helenoftheways

Postby helenoftheways » 01 Oct 2011, 11:33

Hello Skydove
We have almost had frost down here in SE London! Several mornings at 8am or so, I have gone outside & seen my breath in the air! And everything has been damp although there was no rain. A couple of my plants have given up the ghost & shrivelled up, so it must have been pretty cold in the night although it warms up tremendously during the daytime. A huge drop in temp forecast for next week!
Change the way you see things, and the things you see will change.

skydove
OBOD Ovate

Postby skydove » 02 Oct 2011, 10:35

Hi Helenoftheways,
I hope the warm weather lasts a little longer, I've a bumper crop of outdoor tomatoes on my allotment,huge but most of them are still green, it's that awkward stage when you dont know whether to pick them now or leave them a little while longer as the plants are still green and healthy looking. I've been making tomato chutney all morning and ice cube parsley. Off up there this afternoon to do some weeding.
Image 2010 SB Image2011 LI Image Image2011 SB
'much of what she heard from the trees was her own self echoed back'
http://www.suerodger.moonfruit.com/.
December 2013 Seminar - Mask Making with Plaster Bandages

Susanne
OBOD Ovate

Postby Susanne » 02 Oct 2011, 13:32

Canoeing is one of my favorite ways to relax & get away from it all. I just wanted to share a couple of Autumn pictures from an early morning canoe earlier this week...

The sun just coming up over the hill burning the fog off the water
IMG_0555.jpg
IMG_0555.jpg (64 KiB) Viewed 4065 times
and the the sun shining on the Autumn glory of the trees
IMG_0583.jpg
IMG_0583.jpg (72.37 KiB) Viewed 4065 times
I hope everyone is enjoying this wonderful season!
Sue

Reyna
OBOD Bard

Postby Reyna » 02 Oct 2011, 19:28

It has started raining! The trees aren't changing colors (well, a few brown leaves here and there but that's it) but the nights are starting to get cold. The past few days its been cloudy and breezy and starting to sprinkle/mist. Today we're getting showers and a breeze and it smells very fall-like. I finally caved in and made a pumpkin pie-the house smelled divine with the cinnamon and rain scent. :D
Let love drive you, guide you, burn in you.

Huathe

Postby Huathe » 02 Oct 2011, 21:32

We have made it down into the upper 30's here at 2,160 feet in the NC mountains. Yesterdays high was only 56. We have reached maybe 60 today. Frost cannot be too much further away. The deep blue skies show fall is here.

Nice pictures, Suzanne! I have a kayak so I can sympathize with your love for canoeing.
James E Parton
Bardic Course Graduate - Ovate Student
New Order of Druids

" We all cry tears, we all bleed red "_Ronnie Dunn

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/
http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
http://www.burningman.com/

katie bridgewater

Postby katie bridgewater » 02 Oct 2011, 23:20

Me and Corwen have been very busy with autumn chores:

picking and pressing tonnes of apples and crab apples from the farm and all the local street trees to make juice and cider
picking buckets of plums from Farmer John's plum trees (neighbour) trees for ice lollies, crumbles, jam and wine
harvesting the last big summer crops from the veg garden and spending whole days just blanching and freezing them, or drying and pickling
collecting berries and sloes
getting firewood chopped and stacked
tanning the first deer skins of the year before the weather turns and we have to salt or freeze them til spring

busy busy busy!

helenoftheways

Postby helenoftheways » 13 Oct 2012, 09:50

Walking in the park with my dog this autumn, I found this mystery nut - see here!
I first thought it was an acorn, but it wasn't! (Read all the comments...!)
Yesterday I discovered the tree that it came from!
Yesterday I discovered that the company that looks after the park has just felled this tree! :x The stump looks totally healthy, so I will be asking some questions about this!
Change the way you see things, and the things you see will change.

Return to “Natural History”