Sequoias & redwoods thriving

The ancient druids were considered the Scientists of their day. This forum is for the discussion of topics relating to Natural History, Science and Technology.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Twig
OBOD Bard

Sequoias & redwoods thriving

Postby Twig » 15 Aug 2013, 21:35

"...some part of me is tree." -- Stephanie Kaza (Buddhist author)

"It takes courage to live ordinary lives." -- Connie Schultz (newspaper columnist)

:awen: :terra: :seasons:

http://www.elephants.com

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Re: Sequoias & redwoods thriving

Postby Aphritha » 15 Aug 2013, 22:32

Nice to have some good news...:)

Twig
OBOD Bard

Postby Twig » 16 Aug 2013, 03:04

My thoughts exactly, Aphritha. Odd to think that global warming is doing something good...

"It takes courage to live ordinary lives." -- Connie Schultz (newspaper columnist)

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 16 Aug 2013, 03:39

I'm sure the dinosaurs would have been in disbelief if anyone had told them good things were coming from their climate changes, either...

Twig
OBOD Bard

Postby Twig » 16 Aug 2013, 08:58

:grin: :grin: :grin:

adiantum
OBOD Ovate

Postby adiantum » 26 Mar 2015, 17:54

Both of these trees, and quite a few others (Metasequoia, or dawn redwood; comes to mind, Torreya, Glyptostrobus, Franklinia, etc.) are currently very restricted in distribution; and in fairly recent geological history (or, to put it another way, a few generations of a long-lived tree like a redwood) enjoyed a much wider distribution. Before the cycle of ice ages and interglacials, redwood grew, at least in certain places, in much of the north temperate zone. It and the dawn redwood are thriving in plantings in many temperate areas, and I think this is a process worth encouraging, as a way to work with climate change and mitigate the threat of reduction or extinction in the native habitat of these plants.......
"But all worthy things that are in peril as the world now stands, those are my care. And for my part, I shall not wholly fail of my task,…If anything passes through this night that can still grow fair or bear fruit and flower again in days to come. For I also am a steward. Did you not know?’--Tolkien
ImageImage

Return to “Natural History”