Mystery of an old Texas hammer

The ancient druids were considered the Scientists of their day. This forum is for the discussion of topics relating to Natural History, Science and Technology.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Re: Mystery of an old Texas hammer

Postby Aphritha » 27 Apr 2014, 15:02

Hm. Interesting...

Badger Bob
OBOD Druid

Postby Badger Bob » 27 Apr 2014, 16:39

Matlock here in Derbyshire used to have a petrifying grotto where the lime rich water would encrust ordinary objects within a few months. After a decade or two a hammer could very easily look like that one. Fascinating to see in action but unfortunately no proof of creationism.

greygreen
OBOD Ovate

Postby greygreen » 27 Apr 2014, 19:00

Given the prevalence of Trinity and Edwards limestone in Texas and the fast moving artesian wells, I would second the explanation that a hammer was lost in, say, a river bed and rapidly covered over the course of 100 years or so. Similarly, the fossil placed next to the hammer in the photo appears to be a modern clam ...
Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known. - A.A. Milne

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 27 Apr 2014, 19:10

Wouldn't a millions of years old hammer refute Creationism? 6,000 years and all that...I would say it would be a better propaganda tool for the Raëlians.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Brân Gannaid
OBOD Bard

Postby Brân Gannaid » 27 Apr 2014, 21:20

Reminds me of people seeing the virgin Mary or Jesus in a cheese sandwich.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/body-odd/ ... f1C6436912
Soaring high on a wind current, I gaze down at the rugged shapes of the mountains and the shimmering water of the lakes, and thank the Goddess that I am Crow.

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 28 Apr 2014, 15:43

I think Thor is just having a giggle :grin:
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Badger Bob
OBOD Druid

Postby Badger Bob » 29 Apr 2014, 09:58

Wouldn't a millions of years old hammer refute Creationism? 6,000 years and all that...I would say it would be a better propaganda tool for the Raëlians.
No, it would suit the creationists as well. According to some YECs that I have been arguing with recently stuff like carbon dating doesn't actually work and before the great flood people lived alongside a few dinosaur like creatures. A hammer buried in rock that is "proven" to be millions of years old by flawed scientific measurement shows that whenever it was, human beings were there because they were obviously created on the sixth day. Oh and they know that the scientific measurement is flawed because Archbishop James Ussher proved that the earth began in 4004BC. I have heard of this hammer being used in arguments by YECs before but they don't like to be specific on it, just "a hammer" found "in the USA". I passed the link onto some of my firmly non-YEC Christian friends and we all agreed that it isn't millions of years old as has been argued.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 29 Apr 2014, 11:57

According to some YECs that I have been arguing with recently stuff like carbon dating doesn't actually work
Well that is the modern rhetorical stance, isn't it? Simply reject as false anything that contradicts your ideological position. This is why I find "debate" tedious...you get two (or more) people arguing about a topic they probably have very little factual knowledge of, and are perfectly prepared to make up or misrepresent facts (often "statistics") and reject anything that challenges their worldview. Actually sometimes it is one very well informed person, and one or more fools, or a group of well informed people against one loud fool, but the results is usually the same. YEC is an egregious and humourous example, but I think everyone is guilty. Politics, sports, religion, science...honest ignorance and deliberate obtuseness battle it out to see who "destroys" the other person. That is why I still like messageboards...it is possible to come on, shout out your polemical declaration and go make a cup of tea for yourself, with very little time wasted.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Brân Gannaid
OBOD Bard

Postby Brân Gannaid » 01 May 2014, 06:17

According to some YECs that I have been arguing with recently stuff like carbon dating doesn't actually work
Well that is the modern rhetorical stance, isn't it? Simply reject as false anything that contradicts your ideological position. <snip> That is why I still like messageboards...it is possible to come on, shout out your polemical declaration and go make a cup of tea for yourself, with very little time wasted.
I'm just thankful those particular memes never hitchhiked a ride on my brain. It's amazing what people are willing to believe and dedicate their lives to. I'm not sure it's even worth arguing with them, other than initially to state one's position and give a bit of substantive evidence hoping it might slip in through a crack.
Soaring high on a wind current, I gaze down at the rugged shapes of the mountains and the shimmering water of the lakes, and thank the Goddess that I am Crow.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 01 May 2014, 12:00

Well that is the modern rhetorical stance, isn't it? Simply reject as false anything that contradicts your ideological position. This is why I find "debate" tedious...you get two (or more) people arguing about a topic they probably have very little factual knowledge of, and are perfectly prepared to make up or misrepresent facts (often "statistics") and reject anything that challenges their worldview. Actually sometimes it is one very well informed person, and one or more fools, or a group of well informed people against one loud fool, but the results is usually the same. YEC is an egregious and humourous example, but I think everyone is guilty. Politics, sports, religion, science...honest ignorance and deliberate obtuseness battle it out to see who "destroys" the other person. That is why I still like messageboards...it is possible to come on, shout out your polemical declaration and go make a cup of tea for yourself, with very little time wasted.
I always think of the Odin's wisdom in the Havamal...
The unwise man thinks all to know,
while he sits in a sheltered nook;
but he knows not one thing, what he shall answer,
if men shall put him to proof.

For the unwise man 'tis best to be mute
when he come amid the crowd,
for none is aware of his lack of wit
if he wastes not too many words;
for he who lacks wit shall never learn
though his words flow ne'er so fast.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 01 May 2014, 13:08

As someone smart once said "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and prove it." (or something to that effect)
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
Kerry Thornley

Brân Gannaid
OBOD Bard

Postby Brân Gannaid » 01 May 2014, 21:40

<snip> "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and prove it." <snip>
I see 2 prongs here: What one thinks inside his or her own head and what one puts out into the world.

It's sort of a 2-edged sword. If we keep it in, we don't hear a lot about what others think when they seek to debate us, augment our position, or offer a new way of thinking. It could actually limit what we experience.

If one is a true believer in some stream of cultural folklore, one may feel compelled to spread it to others, and when one sees through folklore, one may feel compelled to share that insight with others. In OBOD, we have a choice of whether to believe something fundamentally, or exclusively use it as a learning tool. In fundamentalist belief systems, there is no choice.

My own best teachers were those who were able to create a space where I could see something for myself so it came naturally. Granted, I was always wired as I am now: To be open to new knowledge, even if it completely unravels my former working hypothesis of the world/life. It's impossible for me to envision clinging to folklore and thinking that, if I just share enough quotes from a particular "sacred" text, people will realize I'm right, and come to agree with me.

Culture is a powerful force guiding human thought and behavior. I am dressed in clothing of my culture right now, in a color generally worn by females or some gay males, mostly because it's readily available, affordable, and I don't really care, as long as I don't feel encumbered or uncomfortable due to weather conditions or limitations on my movements. Culture fascinates me, and has done so for many years.

Return to “Natural History”