Eclipse

The ancient druids were considered the Scientists of their day. This forum is for the discussion of topics relating to Natural History, Science and Technology.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Greytrack
OBOD Bard

Eclipse

Postby Greytrack » 20 Mar 2015, 11:23

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but please feel free to move if not :)

Just watched the eclipse here on Skye. I could only see it through the occasional breaks in the cloud but it was pretty good. Did anyone else see it?
Greytrack
Not all those who wander are lost.

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Re: Eclipse

Postby Heddwen » 20 Mar 2015, 12:10

Yes, a clear bright day here in mid wales. Good for viewing the eclipse

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 20 Mar 2015, 12:17

Grey clouds, sky cover
Mild darkening of daylight;
partial eclipse?
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Fire oak
OBOD Ovate

Postby Fire oak » 20 Mar 2015, 18:20

Light cloud around the sun but clear where the sun actually was in the Southern most bit of Ireland so we had a great view. A little too much light in many ways as it was way too bright for photos to come out.
Fire Oak

ImageImage

Badger Bob
OBOD Druid

Postby Badger Bob » 20 Mar 2015, 18:24

Lovely and clear here in Derbyshire. We had a bit of an Alban Eilir ceremony and then set up the pinholes and telescopes for the eclipse. By quarter to nine we had gathered about a dozen passers-by and it turned into a lawn party with tea and biscuits following the heavenly spectaculars. Good thin crescent showing and then a veil of cloud to really show off the event without the need for viewers which left us free to chant and drum until the sun came back again.

It were a reet good un.

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 21 Mar 2015, 06:16

It was wonderful here in the Eastern part of Norway.

There was a thick layer of rain clouds covering the sky all morning. They cracked up a quarter to ten and the Sun came forward, only to disappear behind the moon and then return again. When it all was over the clouds were back.

I was at work in the kindergarten, and it was so lovely to see all the kids' fascination for this phenomena. Some asked me if the man in the moon now was dead? Others thought that the mouth in the sky was beautiful.

Skogsvandrare
OBOD Bard

Postby Skogsvandrare » 21 Mar 2015, 07:13

I had a pretty good view here in the northern half of Scandinavia. I used the glass from a welders mask for safe observations.
Attachments
eclipse.jpg
eclipse.jpg (254.1 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
images/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gif

Green Raven

Postby Green Raven » 21 Mar 2015, 20:47

It was pretty much the way I expected it to be here in Dorset, England, having checked the forecast at the Met Office. There was misty cloud cover which didn't lift as we arrived at the Rings and a cold breeze was making our noses and fingers tingle. So after Alban Eilir rites, we gathered on the inner ridge to watch and listen.

Sure enough, as (above the cloud somewhere) the moon passed in front of the sun, the light dimmed right down, in the mid-distance headlights came on along the Blandford Road, and the eerie silence began as the birds stopped singing. Silent apart from the casuals calling, “Can you see anything yet?” to each other. I felt a little sorry for the chap who had brought the expensive telescope with all the eclipse-watching attachments precisely aligned using GPS.

We felt the movement of the immense heavenly bodies as they turned in their great dance, absorbed the calm, humbly aware of our microscopic insignificance and yet intrinsically part of it all, witnesses and stardust, bound together in unfathomable complexity.

The light returned, and first the larks in a renewed onslaught of song. Exchanging pleasantries, the dog-walkers (and telescope chap) sloped back to their vehicles, leaving us alone to softly exchange readings of Hughes, Thomas, excerpts from the Hergest and Carmarthen, and chuckle at topical satires. An hour or so later, warm bright sunbeams burnt the cloud away and we spread blankets for the Equinox picnic. I have never seen so many wrens – the druid bird of old – in one place. Our festival message from the Old Ones was being delivered.
“Listen, O little pig! are not the buds of thorns
Very green, the mountain beautiful, and beautiful the earth?”
- Myrddin Wyllt, Hoianau / Greetings (to a Pig)

Return to “Natural History”