Jean Markale's Monist Woodsmen

The ancient druids were considered the Scientists of their day. This forum is for the discussion of topics relating to Natural History, Science and Technology.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
BCPantheist
OBOD Bard

Jean Markale's Monist Woodsmen

Postby BCPantheist » 18 Apr 2016, 06:38

One of the books I read in my youth, which steered me to the pantheistic/Druidic path that I currently walk was Jean Markale's The Druids: Celtic Priests of Nature, in which he painted a picture of the Druid as Monist and woodsman, and because I had also grown-up with an interest in primitive living-skills, "Native American" spirituality and the Mythopoetic Men's Movement, particularly under the influence of authors such as Tom Brown, Jr., Robert Bly, Nancy J. Turner, and Joseph Jastrab, I could relate very well to Markale's notion of what Druids and their "tree-knowledge" might have been.

Nowadays, thanks in-part to Markale, my Druidry is pantheistic, with a casual study of ecopsychology, restorative justice, ethnobotany, experimental archaeology, and wilderness rites. The ceremonial/spiritual elements heavily influenced by OBOD, obviously.

What do you think of Markale's ideas? How do you define "oak-wisdom?"
We are earth-born, children of nature, and related to every living thing. (Steven Foster)

Woodwose Radio Podcast: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/woodwose

Journey
OBOD Ovate

Re: Jean Markale's Monist Woodsmen

Postby Journey » 22 Apr 2016, 19:36

Sounds interesting. Added it to my wishlist! Thank you for sharing.
Brightest blessings,
¸.•♥•.¸¸.•♥• ☽❀Journey❀☾•♥•.¸¸.•♥•.¸

Life's Mystical Journey Spiritual Supplies
http://lifesmysticaljourney.com/

Return to “Natural History”