Dedicating a Staff ...............

Storage space for classic threads from The Shamanic Druid
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Petrichor
OBOD Ovate

Dedicating a Staff ...............

Postby Petrichor » 07 Dec 2005, 13:04

Having procured a Staff form my favourite garden tree ( Lemon Scented Gum ) - I have been using it in my Druid work for Ceremonies , etc .

From the begining of our relationship together , it has been a part of all my Light / Body exercises where we meld together as one .

Apart from smudging it with ceremonial smoke & dedicating it to the cause I have spent countless hours gently sanding it to shape .

I am pleased to say it has become a magnificent piece of wood to hold & seems to be extremely Feminine with an ability to calm & humble the holder .
( well this is my perception of it - there is much respect toward it on my part )

I am now ready to begin carving some symbols into it - Firstly the AWEN & secondly the symbol of the Bardic Grade .

Further developments will unfold as we move through the Grades together .............

What I want to know is ........... can anyone advise me on anything else I could do to benefit / sanctify / dedicate , etc the Staff .

Is there a Druid Rite that accomodates this ?

I've read some pretty "sinister" things on other websites about this matter , but I want to stick to what is right for the Druid .

Many Blessings ,
Zimran .
Formerly - Zimran - Aracos - Petrichor

I AM AN OLD MAN
BUT I AM A YOUNG GARDINER
Albert Einstein

Robb Hawklord
OBOD Bard

Postby Robb Hawklord » 07 Dec 2005, 14:57

To me creating the staff, from cutting/picking the branch to Oiling or varnishing, is all part of not just the creation of the Staff, but its blessing and dedication. As it is a staff I created for myself, by myself, it only has my energies contained and blended with the energies of the tree and the elements which have made it. However, I feel they are only complete once they have become part of you through ceremony. The one in my Avatar is therefore not complete, and really that is more of a Fancy Dress Staff anyway, but my Holly Staff and my Oak staff are both complete, although the Oak still needs decorations, but they have been through all the above, and being in the UK I dedicated the Holly on Summer Solstice 2004 at Stonehenge, and the Oak on the Autumnal Equinox at Avebury, where it also became part of a Handfasting Archway, at this point the Oak still had its bark on, so I dont feel there is any particular order in which this should be done.

Thats Just me though, lol, and I do get called CrazyHawk occasionally.

btw I love Geraldton, well what I got to see when I went on a Dive Charter on the Abrolhos in 2001.

Hawky
She's the goddess of love
The goddess in green
The goddess of all
That I've ever seen
The goddess of hope
The goddess in brown
The goddess of all
That you've burned to the ground

Maid Of The River - The Levellers

Rob

Postby Rob » 07 Dec 2005, 23:29

i don't got any good staves all the oak branches are knarled and not cool i got a big oak staff like 6 ft even though it is knareled should i sand it down to make it pimp tastik 3 of the voices in my head say yes but 4 say no and one is un decided
Almost anything you do will be insignificant but it is very important that you do it.
                                           Mahatma Gandhi

:trefoil:
you must be the change you wish to see in the world.
       Mahatma Gandhi

:trefoil:
The weak can never forgive, forgivness is an attribute of the strong.
                                Mahatma Gandhi

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Postby Lily » 07 Dec 2005, 23:39

Rob, let your voices step back and decide for yourself :) :)
I didn't know pimptastic was current english usage, thank you for educating me.

Zimran, I am sure it will grow on you, perhaps a treatment with melted Beeswax or Linseed oil may be something, or then again not, perhaps a long trek into nature with it will help you connect even more than you did in the making...

I think the best dedication comes from long-term use. Nothing about your tools should be sinister, should they.
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

Alasdair
OBOD Ovate

Postby Alasdair » 08 Dec 2005, 03:06

Yeah, for coating the staff in an oil linseed oil is great stuff... I used to make wooden bows from scratch years ago and that's what you sometimes used to coat it. And Lily, actually the proper word is "Pimptastik" ... without the C!! Heheh
To the mind that is Still -- The whole Universe Surrenders.

Robb Hawklord
OBOD Bard

Postby Robb Hawklord » 08 Dec 2005, 06:47

Zimran - as Lily said the more you use it the more you become one with it.

As fars as coatings go, I use Boiled Linseed Oil as a primary coating, this helps to show any imperfections on the surface, which can then be 'sorted', and oil re-applied. Once that has soaked in and dried, I then apply 3 - 4 layers of Beeswax, not the hard type, but Leather Beeswax found in good outdoor clothing shops, its already soft and can be applied cold, and by fingers. Each layer of wax is buffed up using a cloth. If you wish to stain the wood first, I find the a generic ( ie dark/medium/light wood) Scratch Cover, although more expensive than stain gives a richer and more natural colour to the wood, and should be applied after the Oil has dried, at this stage it is advisable to add another coating of oil a couple of days after staining.

With Holly I found that the best Oil to use is Extra Virgin Olive Oil as the wood already has a green tint and the deep green in the Olive Oil brings that greenness out.

Hawky
The goddess in green
The goddess of all
That I've ever seen
The goddess of hope
The goddess in brown
The goddess of all

Petrichor
OBOD Ovate

Postby Petrichor » 08 Dec 2005, 09:35

Back tracking a bit ...........

I had become very fond of the particular tree that provided the "Staff in question" . Eventually I asked the tree to provide me with one of its branches & about a week later a freak tornado ripped through our area - knocking over my Western fence & doing lots of damage ( this is uncommon for our area - we have strong winds but this was extraordinary . )
I woke up next morning & found the branch resting at the base of the tree leaning on the adjacent Eastern fence ( just like it was a gift )

It all seemed more than a coincidence to me .........

I swear I can still feel the storm in the Staff as if some of that night was instilled into the wood like a photograph is stored in a camera .

My tools & intentions are all pure , true & sincere whilst working on the staff - the "sinister" aspect I referred to was something I had read about subjecting the staff to "body fluids" in an attempt to unite the user / implement ? - I did not entertain the thought of basting my staff in blood , sweat , tears or other - even though I'm sure the staff has asorbed some of my sweat as I have worked on it .

I'm currently oiling the Staff with an organic Australian oil ( Organoil - Woodsheen ..... formulated from highly refined natural plant & wood oils ) The aroma of this stuff is fantastic ......

Also - is there an effective way of joining a Crystal to the top of the staff (without drilling & gluing ) ?

Pity I didn't know you were in town a while back Hawky - would have chilled down a few "home brews" for ya' ...........

Many thanks folks - the info is very much appreciated .
Zimran

I AM AN OLD MAN
Albert Einstein

Robb Hawklord
OBOD Bard

Postby Robb Hawklord » 08 Dec 2005, 19:44

The best way without drilling and glueing is to wire wrap the crystal then wrap the wire around the top of the staff. Many people will wrap this wire all the way down to the base of the staff and make a copper cap to fit around the base, this helps to conduct earth energies upto the crystal ( and user), but also it helps if theres a lightening storm around - it 'should' flow through the wire not you, lol, but the wires will only take so much.... :poof:

Furthermore, does the staff need a crystal, and does it like the one you want to put on it my holly has rejected everything upto a nice chunk of Amethyst geode I tried yesterday and which it liked!! But I like it without. At the end of the day the staff is only an extension of yourself, a tool to tap into your own energies, but it is also a statement of yourself.

The rest is up to you, how you perceive yourself and how do you want to be perceived.

I want to get back over there someday, and dive those Islets again. FYI one of the board members worked on the reconstruction of the VOC Batavia in Holland
The goddess in green
The goddess of all
That I've ever seen
The goddess of hope
The goddess in brown
The goddess of all

Robb Hawklord
OBOD Bard

Postby Robb Hawklord » 08 Dec 2005, 19:46

ps Get plenty of Red Back in if I do
The goddess in green
The goddess of all
That I've ever seen
The goddess of hope
The goddess in brown
The goddess of all

Wolfwalker

Postby Wolfwalker » 08 Dec 2005, 20:30

Mine is still also a work inprocess, made of willow sacrificed by the road builders who were blowing the side off the mountain behind the house so I went salvaging good wand and staff pieces for my shop. I've used both cedar oil and a mixture of lemon,orange and palm oil and found the cedar changes the colour while the other is more fragrant, requires more frequent re-application.
Considering trying tung oil, and wondering if anyone has had any experience with it re it's suitability. One of the local Asatru pagans has his coated with light coal oil, which is a wonderous scent to behold, much sweeter than I'd have thought likely, but I figure it'd explode near a fire!
For a headpiece, my choice as a rock gatherer is use local stone. I have quartz, in white, clear, cream, rose, marbled, grey (smokey), and a coule of others, as well as Iron Pyrites, granite with veins of iron running through it, and some red & gray marble all gathered from the seacliffs several miles outside the city. I too advocate the wiring method Hawky mentioned, though mine is nickle-silver, but am using a copper of brass foot-cap. Don't know how much I'd want to venture out into a thunderstorm waving it high anyway! You could wind up looking like the Energizer Bunny after a short circuit!
bb, Peter
Love people and use things, NOT use people and love things...

Petrichor
OBOD Ovate

Postby Petrichor » 09 Dec 2005, 11:14

Hawky ......... Wolfwalker

Some interesting stuff there - I hadn't considered whether or not a crystal would be in conflict with the staff ( but now you mention it - it makes sense ) .
I've just got so used to using amethyst points with just about everything I do these days .

WW - I used Tung oil on the staff back when I first stripped the bark off it , however , following a bit of research I learned that just about every part of the tree is poisonous , so I switched to something less toxic .
Also , be careful with the rags you use to apply oils like this ( they can self ignite - so don't store them in the house or shed ....... )

Finally - An opinion on putting symbols onto the Staff .

I had planned to engrave the symbols onto the staff with a rotary tool / a knife or chisels , but recently I have pondered the thought of marking the symbols onto the wood using a magnifying glass - this way using the Sun's energy to do the work ?

Any advice on this ?

Hawky - don't worry about the Redbacks mate ......... there are better beers .

Many blessings .
Zimran

I AM AN OLD MAN
Albert Einstein

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 09 Dec 2005, 18:07

Just a comment on the use of body fluids to consecrate your staff or other tool....

Of itself, this isn't a sinister or negative thing to do. It can create a powerful bond with your tool, and will join your energy to the energy within the tool, in this case, with the tree that gifted you with its branch.

A drop of your blood on the tool isn't unusual to do. It's fairly common in many magickal traditions as a way to consecrate your tool/s.

It's all in the intention and purpose. If your intention is positive,to enhance your connection to your staff which will you will use for positive purposes, and harm to none (except if needed to protect yourself) the use of a body fluid is a way to directly bond to the staff. Whatever your personal energy is, this use will add your energy to that of the staff or other tool, and increase the effect when you use the tool.This effect may be especially strong with crystals, as they have an energy already so similar to ours.

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Petrichor
OBOD Ovate

Postby Petrichor » 09 Dec 2005, 23:57

Donata ,

Thank you for your courage & conviction in taking on this topic .
I can understand people may be reluctant to address such things in public view - so you must consider the matter important .......

Rob - if this business concerns you , please ask questions .

2 issues here for me Don - firstly the fluid one - I'm in mixed feelings about it . If It can enhance my work with light then I would consider the option . Tears or sweat - I would certainly have no problem with .

Secondly - using the Staff for harm ( protection ) - I doubt if I could ever do this .
This staff at present is very virtuous - I don't want to pollute it with something like Anger or Retalliation .........

My concern is not about how others may like to harm me , but how I can make a difference in this world .

Also the wood is almost perfect white ( sort of like Ivory ) & any body fluids would taint its appearance - something to consider .

thanks again Donata ,
Love & Blessings ,

Zimran

I AM AN OLD MAN
Albert Einstein

Donata
OBOD Druid

Postby Donata » 10 Dec 2005, 00:42

Hi Zimran,

You're welcome! I only wanted to make the point that the use of body fluids is neutral of itself. It's all in the intention and purpose.

Of course, sweat and tears are body fluids! and won't mar your staff. With my staff, I rubbed it with oil, using my hands. I know I contributed the natural oils of my hands, thus adding my energy. My staff wouldn't want blood!

With protection I didn't mean anger or revenge - I meant simple protection, as if someone were attacking you. If the attacker winds up getting hurt, it's what they caused, not you.

Enjoy your staff!

Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

ImageImage ImageImage

Petrichor
OBOD Ovate

Postby Petrichor » 10 Dec 2005, 05:06

Appreciate your commennts Donata -
Have a great end of year celebration & may next year bring you many blessings & much inspiration ........

Zimran .

I AM AN OLD MAN
Albert Einstein

Wraithian
OBOD Ovate

Postby Wraithian » 10 Dec 2005, 05:32

I've got a couple, myself. Both were harvested from a rather unmolested patch of willows that grow just outside of town. On my first, it's a rather thin one (about one inch in diameter), adorned with three raven feathers at the top, each attached to the staff with a leather thong. That one gave me fits when I was shucking the bark off of it, (willow bark under the thumbnails hurts) so since the blood was flowing already, there are very trace marks on it from me removing the bark, and then one larger spot under the leather thongs. That last bit, I asked for a blesssing as I smeared the blood onto the area concealed where the thongs would be attached. (I know it's there, and that's all that matters). Afterward, I took it to a nice secluded place (the place I harvested it from, actually), asked for blesssing, and to give the staff "life," took a deep breath, raised my staff skyward, and exhaled, imagining my breath becoming the breath of life for my staff. As for treating it, I let it age a year and a day from the day I harvested it, then treated it with vegetable oil. Suited me fine, thusfar. That staff is nearly 5 years old, no cracking, etc. Though, the raven feathers are looking a bit rough (been through blizzards, downpour rain, and baking heat). <chuckles> I hope my rambling hasn't bored you. :wink:

My second staff is about 2 years old. It's about 2 inches in diameter, but I haven't quite figured out what I'm going to do with it yet.
:wraithian: Image :wraithian:

Petrichor
OBOD Ovate

Postby Petrichor » 10 Dec 2005, 09:48

On the contrary Wraithian ,

I was far from bored ........ intrigued would be closer to the truth .

Luckily for me , the bark of Eucalypts almost falls off , but you have to be careful of this wood cracking as it dries out very quickly - I started feeding oil into it immediately & haven't had any problems .

In your case where you shed & combined the blood whilst working on the Staff seems very correct to me - as if it was ordained somehow .

You throw another option into the basket with the feathers & it's certainly making me think a bit longer about placing something different at the top of the Staff than a crystal .

I also appreciate you sharing the moment when you breathed life into the Staff - It seemed a powerful & fascinating image to me when I visualised it .

Blessings friend ,
Zimran .

I AM AN OLD MAN
Albert Einstein

Robb Hawklord
OBOD Bard

Postby Robb Hawklord » 10 Dec 2005, 11:00

The crown of my Holly Staff

And my 4 Staffs l - r Beech with Sheep Skull; Oak (plain); Holly (3/4 wire wrapped); and Birch (unfinished)
The goddess in green
The goddess of all
That I've ever seen
The goddess of hope
The goddess in brown
The goddess of all

Donata
OBOD Druid

Postby Donata » 10 Dec 2005, 17:39

Wraithian, what a powerful consecration!
Robb - amazing staffs!

I have a small wand. I was on the Seneca Reservation, where some of us were initiatied into the Wolf Clan Teaching Lodge by Twyla Nietsch. The next day I sat under a magnificient tree Twyla's grandmother had planted, and had my first conversation with a tree! I asked the tree if I could take a small branch for a wand, (thinking this was a formality - this was over 20 yrs ago). Immediately I heard, "Absolutely not! Look down at your feet!. I did, and found my wand.

About a week later I was walking my dog, and we disovered a squirrel tail. I took it for the wand, and some feathers I found. Now I had the rooted ones, the flying ones, and four legged represented! I added a small crystal for the stone beings. The oil of my hands as I polished the wand represents the two legged. Now only the swimmers and creepy crawlers aren't represented - but my wand feels very complete to me.

BB
Donata

ImageImage ImageImage

Petrichor
OBOD Ovate

Postby Petrichor » 11 Dec 2005, 02:49

Hawky ,

The Holly crown - seems very much like a hand reaching upwards .
A very impressive Staff , I can see why you speak of it with so much pride ......

Donata ,

A great story of how nature wants to work with us - it's so sad that mankind can not walk more hand in hand with the wilderness ..........

Z

I AM AN OLD MAN
Albert Einstein

Return to “The Shaman's Cave”