A feeling of expansion

Storage space for classic threads from The Shamanic Druid
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Hengist
OBOD Bard

A feeling of expansion

Postby Hengist » 16 Aug 2006, 22:56

I have just had a wonderful, liberating experience that I can only describe as some kind of expansion. After the dream of initiation that I described a little while ago, I had been feeling incrreasingly restricted, or held back by something. A part of myself that I had outgrown but somehow could not free myself from. This had been bringing feelings of anxiety and some depression, to a degree that I only realise now that I am free of them.

I was relaxing in a kind of meditative state in the bath when I beacame aware of my guides and some others around me, as I was trying to free myself from the increasing feelings of tension. Still I could feel this tension increasing physically, stresses being exerted on my body almost as if I was on some kind of rack of energetic forces. The guides reassured me that I would come to no harm and were urging me to let go. It was not the forces pulling me forward that were harmful but my reluctance, through a misguided sense of security to let go of something that was constricting me and holding me back as I seemed to expand in conciousness. I asked for help in letting go, expressing my willingness to be taken forward into something that was unknown, and therefore unnerving, to me. The presence of my guides became stronger, indeed I still feel their presence now, and the stress subsided as I was pulled free from that which had been restraining me.

The feeling that followed and is with me now, is beautiful. I am confident that I have not taken leave of my senses, although the experience was so powerful I did wonder about my sanity at one point. If anything I am probably more sane now than I have ever been. I am still fully present in the mundane. Though the part of me that dwells there seems somehow smaller, it is in fact in no way diminished. It is simply that another part of me has grown, I see now from a different perspective, and whilst I know more now, my thirst for knowledge has never been greater.

I'm sorry if this seems a little gushing or garbled, but I wanted to write down this experience just as it has been, as soon as it had been, rather than allowing it to be subjected by any subconcious processing.

With Peace, Blessings and gratitude,

Hengist

http://www.musicdruid.com

http://www.myspace.com/musicdruid

Please could you direct me to the nearest wabe, I feel the need to gyre and gimble a bit.

TheSpearMan

Postby TheSpearMan » 16 Aug 2006, 23:22

I had a similar experience not so long ago.

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 17 Aug 2006, 00:12

That's a wonderful experience Hengist! It will come more often and more easily now that you've experienced it! it's natural, and  you are sane! You'll find others here know it too - it's available to anyone who meditates or journeys regularly.

It's wonderful, isn't it? I think this is what we're meant to know and experience, but so many of us have years of counter-training that obscures it or makes us afraid.

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

flowerfairy
OBOD Bard
Location: down at the bottom of the garden...amoung the birds and the bees...

Postby flowerfairy » 17 Aug 2006, 01:08

Wow Hengist!  :o  It seems like you're undergoing a powerful time of transformation and growth in your spiritual journey right now. I'm so excited for you! May you continue to be blessed with such wonderful inspiration and affirmation - I look forward to seeing what life has in store for you!

Much love
xxx

Hengist
OBOD Bard

Postby Hengist » 17 Aug 2006, 22:38

Thank you for your replies,

it is certainly a good feeling to have people to share this journey with. I think that's a part of what makes answering the call to Druidry and the Shamananic path feel like a home coming. When I speak of these things and people respond warmly and with understanding, I know that I am where I am supposed to be. I agree Donata, it is wonderful when we begin to throw off the conditioning of a material oriented society and awaken to the truth beyond it's boundaries, and it is good to wonder at what each new day on the path might hold in store Flowerfairy, very good indeed.

With Peace and Blessings,

Hengist

Please could you direct me to the nearest wabe, I feel the need to gyre and gimble a bit.

meghanst
OBOD Bard

Postby meghanst » 15 Oct 2006, 15:06

Keep practicing going into the same state Hengist. You went very deeply into a particular type of meditation. Expansion and becoming one with all things is one of the goals of Buddhism and yoga. It can be more difficult the second time but if you practice it will come again then each time will be easier until you can do it at will.

Try to duplicate the situation, perhaps it's not practical to always try it in the bath, but try to make everything else as close as possible and imagine everything exactly as it was, including your guides and any physical and emotional feelings. Imagine the expansion and if it doesn't come this time, keep imagining it and it will eventually come back.

Hengist
OBOD Bard

Postby Hengist » 15 Oct 2006, 22:49

Thank you Meghanst,

I have indeed experienced a similar state several times since, and you're quite right, being in the same location and circumstances does seem to help.

I will certainly follow your suggestion and work at deliberately inducing this state, until now it has been somethign that has happened spontaniously when I've been in a state of relaxation and/or meditation. I can remember it happening to me as a small child too, I remember being able to induce it at will then, it was an amazing feeling that I can only describe as a kind of heightened existence. My awareness of my own existence and the wonderful gift of life being incredibly intensified. Along with a powerful awarenes that went beyond connection, but of there being no join or barrier of any description between myself and all existence. In fact "self" didn't have the same meaning, and yet confidence in my identity was stronger without it.

I never told anybody about it, some instinct told me it was best not to. My Mother got on my case about daydreaming and I at that early age I just accepted it must be wrong and stopped doing it.

A few other experiences have happened to me recently, and as I feel the veil grow thin between the realms with the approach of Samhuinn I have begun to dream vividly again. The emphasis of these dreams being on journeying, letting go of the baggage of old lives, and making positive changes.

Thank you again for your suggestions, these forums are a great source of learning for me and I am hopeful of recovering these lost skills.

Hengist

meghanst
OBOD Bard

Postby meghanst » 16 Oct 2006, 12:41

Hi Hengist
I’m pleased the comments were helpful. These types of experiences are certainly fantastic when they happen. Some people have more ‘psychic’ abilities than others but it seems likely that everyone has experiences in childhood, but as happened to you and me also, children are rarely encouraged and sometimes forbidden to explore them.

If you want to keep a particular ability it needs to be practiced at least semi-regularly. I’ve found I’ve become over confident and not practiced some things for more than a year and lost them, then didn’t want to put the work into getting them back.

Even if you just read about an experience, rather than actually experience it, imagining it as clearly as possible during meditation is likely to result in the actual experience.  It’s a bit like showing your psyche what you want to achieve and then giving it the opportunity to work it out.  Although sometimes the experience will occur differently as most things vary from person to person.

Remember to stay grounded between these experiences, for example lots of good food and exercise. When you’ve no one around to help if you need it, things can get out of hand and it’s happened to me. I’ve started living more in the psychic world than the physical world and it really takes a toll on mind and body.

These abilities are neither good nor evil and can be used for both. Having unwittingly become involved in black magic, and having it cause havoc in my life, and having great difficulty escaping from it, I’d suggest always asking for blessing and protection from the Goddess/God before attempting to induce these states.

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 16 Oct 2006, 14:14

Excellent advice Meghanst!

Grounding, protection, asking for aid from your Guides - essential!

Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Hengist
OBOD Bard

Postby Hengist » 18 Oct 2006, 18:42

Thank you, Meghanst and Donata,

thankfully I do tend to maintain a healthy diet, and usually answer my body's call for foodthat comes after meditation. I don't own a car so I usually walk or cycle every where, and spend a fair amount of time in nature, riding along tracks and trails throught the woods around where I live.

One thing I have not done before is to ask for blessing and protection, and as I go deeper into these experiences I will certainly heed that advice in future, thank you. One of my guides is a wolf, once, in a dream some time ago, she guided me between the worlds, I will certainly be listening for her guidance now.

Thank you again,

Hengist

Scylla
OBOD Ovate

Postby Scylla » 19 Oct 2006, 11:45

Hi Hengist

I also had that restraining feeling, but followed by the feeling that next year will be just the opposite, open, full of great things, good luck and fortune, it is as if we´re drinking the last drops of a terrible year, but we´re entering a completely different one. I do have the feeling that next year I´ll be able to travel a lot, one of them to Glastonbury for the Summer Assembly.

I´ve also dreaming quite often with wolves, in one of them, a she wolf was wounded, and I had to rescue her puppies from the shelter to take them back to her so they don´t die of starvation, and they follow me and play with me while their mom recovers. It was really lovely.

:hiya:

Hengist
OBOD Bard

Postby Hengist » 19 Oct 2006, 17:14

That certainly does sound like a lovely dream Scylla, and wonderful to have such interaction with a life, or lives in the otherworld.

Your feelings of being restrained followed by liberation and optimism are certainly very similar to those that I experienced.

I've been thinking about this, and I suppose if you were to take the analytical viewpoint that is predominant in the secular world, it follows logically that anyone engaged in the kind of work on ourselves that we are, would experience such changes if the work were going well. And I know for myself now what a two dimentional and black and white perception of the world that is, and how much it has deprived us of the sense of wonder and fulfillment that actually experiencing existence can inspire, as opposed to measuring and rationalising it.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that  while the fact that these changes occur is not suprising on an intellectual level,  the sheer depth and power of them on the emotional and spiritual planes is awe inspiring.

For me, that is one of the joys this experience has brought. One of the things that was restraining me was the fact that I had been conditioned to live with this frankly second rate way of percieving the creation. By measuring it, weighing it, and trying to find my place in it by means of information transaction and analysis, resulting in a rather drab and meaningless world view. At least, that's how it seems now when compared to the much wider and deeper awareness that the path brings to us. It's rather like the difference between reading a book about a beautiful deep blue ocean without ever getting your feet wet, and diving into one, luxuriating in it's clear refreshing water, lost in wonder at it's exotic inhabitants and hidden undersea landscapes.

As has already been wisely pointed out in this thread, staying grounded is essential, and the measuring, weighing and quantifying the material world around us are important in our efforts to callibrate ourselves to function in it. But I think I'll be getting my feet wet a bit more often in future.  :wink:

Hengist

meghanst
OBOD Bard

meditating in the woods

Postby meghanst » 21 Oct 2006, 14:45

[quote="Hengist"]spend a fair amount of time in nature

Have you tried meditating in the woods? When we meditate long enough our energy pulses at the same rhythm as the earths (there is a scientific explanation of this and I'll try to find it). While being literally 'in tune' with the environment, I've had a wallaby (small kangaroo) jump into my arms. I almost dropped it because it was so heavy and unexpected. A friend in the UK had a fox walk right next to him while he was sitting meditating. Also you have the natural protection of Mother Nature while meditating in the woods.

I had one of my most stunning experiences, not in the bush but in my garden which at the time was in an area with a large number of very large trees. During this experience, the earth became the tree trunk and I and all the trees including massive gum trees, were branches coming off the trunk (the earth) so I was in direct contact with the trees and the earth and could feel what it was like to be a tree. Amazing! Be sure to take a blanket because you can lose track of time and circulation drops and you can come out of the meditation very cold.

Hengist
OBOD Bard

Postby Hengist » 21 Oct 2006, 20:03

Hi Meghanst,

Yes, I have had experiences like that when meditating in the woods. Once I sat at the base of a large oak and went into meditation for a while, I'm not sure how long. After a while I could feel a stream of energy running upwards along the outside of the tree, flowing throught my own body of light. As it did so it felt very refreshing and full of vitality, yet simultaniously calming.

Sometimes when meditating I "lose" my body, and become unable to move physically, I don't fing this particularly alarming as I seem to know that I will be able to recover the ability to move when I want to, although I do get a clear feeling, again a kind of instinctive thing, if I start going too deep and know that it may be a struggle to return. At this point I can make the meditation a little more shallow by reminding myself of my surroundings in the material realm, though it has been quite an effort at times.

I went to this kind of level while I was in the woods and felt quite protected, as you say, by my natural surroundings, and in particular the tree, who seemed to shelter me in a kind of loving way. When I decided to end the meditation it took a while to surface, as it often does. When I opened my eyes, about six feet in front of me, sitting upright on her haunches, was a fox, looking directly at me and into my now open eyes. I've no idea how long she'd been there, but after a few seconds she stood, turned and calmly sauntered on her way. Foxes rarely approach a human being, and are much less willing to maintain eye contact in this way, and it was a wonderful moment, I was left with a feeling we had shared something.

I thanked the tree for her energy and protection, gave her a hug and walked on throught the wood, which seemed somehow more vibrant and almost glowing with energy, which was pretty much how I felt.

Hengist

Scylla
OBOD Ovate

Postby Scylla » 22 Oct 2006, 17:29

Hi

I had similar experiences, specially in the wood I go to make my rituals when the weather allows it, it´s a Crown Estate, and therefore open to the public, and many times when performing a ritual Nature has keps people away from me until I finished. Also I´ve felt strong presences watching over me. Now that it´s raining again, I´ll take the next calm day to pay the forest a visit to relink with the place. I´ve been away quite a long time die to the drought. I didn´t want to risk a leave lighting a candle while it was so dry.

About the dream of the wolves, I feel that it´s their acceptance of me as part not only of the pack, but also of the family, as they entrust me their babies. Maybe in the future they will give me more things to think about.

:hiya:

Return to “The Shaman's Cave”