How can you tell it's not just your imagination?

Storage space for classic threads from The Shamanic Druid
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
TheSpearMan

How can you tell it's not just your imagination?

Postby TheSpearMan » 17 Aug 2006, 02:11

When you do a meditation where you meet a spirit guide or power animal... how do you know it's not just imagination? How can you tell it's real?

Thanks  :old:

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 17 Aug 2006, 04:40

If you are in your Grove - astral/'real' - when you do your meditations and journeys, that's probably where you'll meet your guides. It's a good idea to be in sacred space when you journey or meditate.

Shamanic teachings say that when you look for a power animal, the animal will show itself to you four times to let you know it's your ally. Personally this hasn't happened for me. Mine simply appear.

There is a sense of already knowing your guide, human, animal, or other, but you can always ask them - the laws that govern this require them to answer you.

You can also tell by how you feel with the encounter at the time, and afterwards. It should feel 'right', you should feel at peace, or empowered  and aided. If not, I'd question the encounter.

Imagination? that's part of your intuition and part of these experiences. If you can't image or imagine it how can you experience it? Don't worry about it or analyze it too much or you will always doubt it. Don't try to control what happens. What is the result? How do you feel about it? It takes a certain amount of trust especially in the beginning. Just let it happen.

Good luck!
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Postby Lily » 17 Aug 2006, 07:27

I'm the Skeptic here. I do not believe in an otherworld, lower, middle, upper what have you.

However, I have these experiences, I meet my guides - and they mean something to me. So it's real, even though it might just be happening between my ears.

Alas, the conundrum of the spiritual skeptic.
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

Motuckquas Cwningen
OBOD Bard

Postby Motuckquas Cwningen » 17 Aug 2006, 21:32

Does it matter?  That's the question I ended up asking myself.  I personally believe the spirits I meet are external to me (beings).  Others believe they are internal.

But in the end does it matter where we believe it comes from if it is beneficial?

It also depends on your definition of real.   :wink:  :grin:

Saille-Panthera
OBOD Bard

Postby Saille-Panthera » 17 Aug 2006, 21:44

I agree with Motuckquas Cwningen (beautiful name, but thank Goddess for copy paste, lol), does it matter? Is the experience less valid or valued if you have such a powerfull mind that you make it all up?
I believe a bit of skeptisism is only healthy, if you go blind on what you (think you) experience, you are easily trapped, either by your imagination, or by not so well-intending spirits (if those aren't part of our imagination either  :shrug: )

I know the feeling, I've been wondering the same thing. When I meditate, I do not experience some kind of trance like others seem to, I don't have experiences like being in a dream of irl, I still see 'black' (well, the coloury black I always see when I've got my eyes closed), sometimes open my eyes, know where I am and what I am doing. Although since I stopped worrying so much if I was doing things right or if things were real or if I am imagining things, I more and more experience a real trance, still black though, lol  :cloud9:
Image Image Image Image

'All we have to do is preserve our personality, to live our own life, to be captain of our own ship, and all will be well' (Dr. E. Bach)

Alasdair
OBOD Ovate

Postby Alasdair » 18 Aug 2006, 02:01

I have often battled with this over and over.  Eventually, I just came to the conclusion, as Motuckquas Cwningen did, that if it's beneficial why question it?  Sometimes I will also ask myself where the information is coming from.. if it feels like i'm talking to myself, I probably am.  But usually if the guidance flows and isn't broken, I realize that it's from something else.  To me, it's mainly just a matter of getting used to it.  Try to meditate every day, and meet up with your guides.  Eventually, you'll begin to distinguish between when you're mind is chattering (usually a product of not relaxing enough) and when your guides are speaking to you.  Ask for real confirmation that a certain being/animal is your guide in the real world if you don't believe it, i've always found out I get real, physical proof.  Sometimes my guides make jokes (or make fun of me - all in good humor of course).. and that's always proof to me that it's not my mind making it up.  I think the best thing is to just keep on meeting them, if it's an animal then research it, learn about it, know everything about it, and see how it applies to your life or may be beneficial. Good luck!

Motuckquas Cwningen
OBOD Bard

Postby Motuckquas Cwningen » 19 Aug 2006, 15:48

Ask for real confirmation that a certain being/animal is your guide in the real world if you don't believe it, i've always found out I get real, physical proof.  Sometimes my guides make jokes (or make fun of me - all in good humor of course)..
Agree with Alasdair.  Although I have found 'be careful what you ask for' which sort of goes along with his statement about guides having a sense of humour.  Mind do - definately  :grin:
I agree with Motuckquas Cwningen (beautiful name, but thank Goddess for copy paste, lol),
Thanks Saille  :D   And oops sorry.  My sig had gone.  I think I've put it back now.  Call me Motucki its much easier to spell  :-)
Motucki

"The Rainbow Race brings peace through the understanding that all races are one. The unity of all colours, all creeds working together for the good of the whole, is the idea that is embodied in the Whirling Rainbow. When all pathways to wholeness are respected by all cultures, the prophecy of the Whirling Rainbow will be completed.” quote from the Whirling Rainbow Prophecy

Saille-Panthera
OBOD Bard

Postby Saille-Panthera » 19 Aug 2006, 15:54

Thanks Saille  :D   And oops sorry.  My sig had gone.  I think I've put it back now.  Call me Motucki its much easier to spell  :-)
lol, I will! thanks Motucki :rose:
Image Image Image Image

'All we have to do is preserve our personality, to live our own life, to be captain of our own ship, and all will be well' (Dr. E. Bach)

Gwydion

Postby Gwydion » 20 Aug 2006, 20:17

Imagination exists, it is real, even scientists use their own and openly admit it. Imagination is just one of our gifts, our treasures, so why discount it?

Gwydion

Bel

Postby Bel » 22 Aug 2006, 16:46

When I met my animal guide it was real.  I spent a short time sitting in a burial chamber meditating and asking to be shown my guide.  Nothing came to me in meditation but when I came out there were 3 buzzards circling the air above me.  It was so obvious and even more profound because they were there in front of me in this world.  When I looked up their associations it was confirmed that they were there for me.
formerly known as Mamma

StormWolf
OBOD Druid

Postby StormWolf » 01 Sep 2006, 10:48

[quote="Saille_W"]When I meditate, I do not experience some kind of trance like others seem to, I don't have experiences like being in a dream of irl, I still see 'black' (well, the coloury black I always see when I've got my eyes closed)[quote]

Same here, and this question plagued me as well. When I asked my Bardic Grade tutor about it, he basically said what others have... Does it matter?

What is real? What is imaginary? It doesn't matter. It is how it FEELS that is important. Does it FEEL real to you? Does it MEAN something to you?

We all have the spark of the divine within us, but each of us finds/sees it in a different way. Just because one person may see full-on colourful visions, doesn't mean that not seeing them makes you any less of a person, of a Druid. You may experience the divine in other, possibly deeper ways.

Just remember, our brains are amazing things, we only use 5% of them, so who knows what lurks in the other 95%!  :sbob:
StormWolf

Inga
OBOD Ovate

Re: How can you tell it's not just your imagination?

Postby Inga » 01 Sep 2006, 14:17

When you do a meditation where you meet a spirit guide or power animal... how do you know it's not just imagination? How can you tell it's real?

Thanks  :old:
I don't know. Sometimes it is my imagination but sometimes I am not sure.

When I was initiated in reiki I met a spirit and a guide. My reikimaster who was initiating me saw/felt the whole thing and afterwards described that to me because I needed to know it was real I experienced. And what she described was exactly the thing that happended to me. So that leaves me with two possibilities, either telepathy really exists or I really met these two beings. Oh there could be a thirt maybe, that I created thoughtforms myself (or she did, or something else did  :where: ) but that is still really powerfull than, being that we both saw the same thing. I can say it was a blessing, it was something I really needed at that time.

Greetings from the Netherlands, Inga

Moira Rhydd

Postby Moira Rhydd » 02 Sep 2006, 14:26

"Does it matter?" seems to be the overwhelming response here, and I agree.  I think that the real question is not whether or not journeying comes from our imagination...  Art comes from man's (/woman's) imagination, and yet it takes on a life of its own and has the power to affect and inspire millions.  Perhaps the real question is:  Is it honest, or is it mere wishful thinking?  *That's* what I worry about.  Let's say that I journey on behalf of a friend, but I have preconceived ideas about what is wrong with this person...  Well, I could be wrong.  I could be misinterpreting what is in fact going on...  Or...  Let's say I journey for self-healing, but deep down I'm not really ready to change/transform/heal and I'm in denial about that...  How is that going to affect my journey?  So my question to myself always is:  Am I journeying with an open mind; am I honest in my quest for answers?  If the answer is that I already know what I *want* to find out, then I refrain from journeying.  I'm not ready.  Know Thyself.   :old:
Moira Rhydd

meghanst
OBOD Bard

Re: How can you tell it's not just your imagination?

Postby meghanst » 25 Sep 2006, 13:42

[quote="TheSpearMan"]how do you know it's not just imagination? How can you tell it's real?

It’s my experience that if you are unsure, then it’s internal, however this is not to say that it’s 'imagination'. We can connect with internal archetypes and Philip often discusses archetypes in the Gwers, we can access genetic memory (now proven in science) and also instincts that have developed over millions of years. In contacting these deeper levels we are accessing 'real' information and experience, not imagination.

If we have what I call a psychic experience, which involves abnormal powers or situations, there is no doubt about it, it's absolutely real, if I touch someone psychically, I feel the touch as if I'd physically touched them. If I hear someone psychically, I actually hear them (but noone else does) and very common psychic hearing is a mother hearing her baby cry when noone else does. The mother actually hears the baby, she doesn’t imagine it but its not physical hearing which is why noone else hears it.

However people do imagine things, like a so-called ‘healer’ who put hot rocks on the back of one of my friends. The friend fell asleep, and with the ‘healer’ there the entire time, she ended up with 3rd degree burns. The ‘healer’ said her guides had told her what to do and for how long. Either the guides were devilish or they were in her imagination and she had an unrealistic idea of her abilities, powers and knowledge, and the latter seems much more likely.

I often know what’s going to happen in the future, but as soon as I want to know and try to know, my desires and ego get mixed up with the ability and it becomes unreliable so I’m very careful about what I do and say in this regard and use the information discretely and carefully in case its wrong. I’ve never met anyone who can reliably tell the future but some people are very carried away with their own abilities and because they sometimes get it right, claim all sorts of powers when they have very little. In fact I’ve met very few people with strong psychic powers but those few neither display nor claim them.  

Evaluate your internal experiences and if they seem and feel right and fit in with what you believe and know as right, then trust them.

meghanst
OBOD Bard

Postby meghanst » 25 Sep 2006, 15:18

[quote="Saille_W"] When I meditate, I do not experience some kind of trance like others seem to

Hi Saille
I taught meditation for many years, it's like playing a musical instrument, for some people a trance state is easy and natural, for others it takes a lot of time and practice and to make it more difficult, it’s much more about not-doing than doing, so while practice is important, trying hard doesn’t work.  If you practice every day it will happen, you will experience a full-on trance, but you must practice for a minimum of 20 minutes every day or at least 6 days a week for perhaps as long as a year. There are techniques to help but you must be committed to at least 20 and preferably 25-30 minutes per day.

Celtic Knight
OBOD Bard

Postby Celtic Knight » 25 Sep 2006, 18:39

I assume that all spirits I meet in journeys are real.

Here is a recent example that really made the point to me. Yesterday I was journeying for someone, doing a shamanic healing. I met a spirit who was very distinctive-looking who said he was her "guardian spirit." After I returned, I told the person I was healing that I had met her guardian spirit. She said that she has often seen him and we compared descriptions. It turned out that the spirit I saw looked exactly the same as the spirit she sees.

Now, either I tuned into her imagination and saw something that she has often imagined or it was a real spirit. Actually, the latter is a simpler explanation.
Worldes Blysse

ImageImageImage

Wren MacDonald

Postby Wren MacDonald » 29 Sep 2006, 08:48

I assume that all spirits I meet in journeys are real.

Here is a recent example that really made the point to me. Yesterday I was journeying for someone, doing a shamanic healing. I met a spirit who was very distinctive-looking who said he was her "guardian spirit." After I returned, I told the person I was healing that I had met her guardian spirit. She said that she has often seen him and we compared descriptions. It turned out that the spirit I saw looked exactly the same as the spirit she sees.

Now, either I tuned into her imagination and saw something that she has often imagined or it was a real spirit. Actually, the latter is a simpler explanation.
A friend of mine used to have a recurring dream with this particular person in it (or perhaps I should say spirit, as it wasn't anyone we knew in real life), always in the same house.  One day I had a dream in the same house, and though I felt like there was someone in the house, I never saw her.  But when we compared house descriptions, they were spot on.  So for me this is evidence that the "astral plane" (for lack of a better term) is real, too, and not just the spirits in it.

Not quite the same thing but what your story made me think of.  ^_^*

Wren ^.~*
Tree huggers of the world, unite! ^.~*

http://www.thehungersite.com
http://www.ecologyfund.com

Return to “The Shaman's Cave”