spirits vs gods.

Storage space for classic threads from The Shamanic Druid
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
scopulus
OBOD Ovate

spirits vs gods.

Postby scopulus » 16 Jan 2007, 15:59

I seem to have myself struck with the following question.
There are spirits, and there are gods.
Personnaly I find it hard to pray to a god, but I pray to spirit.
Now , I was told that spirits shall not help a God can, so I my question is what is the difference between Gods and Spirits?

What can be asked to Spirit, and what not?

Thanks in Advance.

Isobel

Postby Isobel » 16 Jan 2007, 18:45

As for myself I'm not too worried about the technicalities and definitions.

Just think about what you know (inner knowing, not fact knowing in your head) for sure! Why pray to something or someone if you're not sure what and who they are. That makes no sense. What I know for sure is that I honor the Creator Intelligence (the Spirit of Great Mystery), and her creation, the Earth most of all.

In the training I received I have learned to pray by giving thanks, not by asking for help or things or something like that. This makes a lot of sense to me. When I feel there's something I really can't figure out on my own, I may ask my (animal) guides and the ancestors if they can support me with this next step on my path.

Or something practical, when one of my cats got a bird or a mouse, I also bury it, as they never eat it. Then I hold tobacco in my hands while I say thanks for the life of this little creature, that I'm sorry we had to meet under these circumstances, and then I ask the ancestors and guides of the little one to help it along, and bury it with the tobacco, sometimes I burn a candle on it's grave. (My mom says it's more than many people get, which makes me think..)

This is just how I do it.

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 16 Jan 2007, 19:01

HI,

"Spirit" is a very broad word. Some use Spirit for Creator or Great Mystery. Some use it for any being not of this world which can include (depending on point of view) angels, animal or other guides, etc.

For myself, angels and gods, and some advanced former humans (Masters or Teachers) are beings of the Upper Worlds, while ancestors and animal guides/totems/allies are beings of the Lower Worlds. Upper and Lower is more a geographical way to differentiate between the realms, not a  defining of power - though these worlds and our Middle World interconnect and overlap somewhat.

Again, some people use 'spirit' for those who were human and haven't completed their crossing over, or who have, but choose to linger around . (Ghosts to some).

We also refer to the 'spirit' of trees, plants, stones, etc.

So in all honesty, I'm not trying to muddy this, but I doubt any of us will come up with a set clear definition of 'spirit'.

As for what can be asked of a spirit or a god - ask them and you'll find the answer for yourself. Your answer may be different from mine, so it's not up to me to impose mine. Don't analyze it so much - just do it and experience it.

Good luck!
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Hengist
OBOD Bard

Postby Hengist » 18 Jan 2007, 03:04

This is a thought provoking question Scopulus, and one similar to those I've pondered myself.

I would certainly agree that no one can or should give you a clearly defined set of rules as an answer. As I believe Donata once wrote here, and I hope she doesn't mind me quoting, "seek the truth and run from anyone who has it."

For myself I've found the important thing is not to depend on my intellect in these matters, a learning curve in itself for anyone brought up in Western society. It's great for figuring out why my computer doesn't work on occasions, but I would agree that it has little use when I'm working on my connection with spirit, and that in these things I listen to my intuition and deeper feelings.

As soon as I try to impose a form that my human intellect can conceive of on spirit, of any form, I immediately denature it, distort it, so that it can fit within the scope of my human mind. I feel that if instead of reducing spirit to fit my mind, I open my whole self to join with spirit, then I begin to feel my relationship with all that is, or are, spirit. I think that if we do this, then we can come to know for ourselves the terms of these relationships, what we can ask of them, and what we can offer them. Be careful though, listen carefully to your intuition and be entirely present with yourself, and if you don't feel comfortable with what you are connecting with, Stop

Compared to many here, I am new to the path, but this is how it feels for me at the moment, and is how I'm working through questions like yours, Scopulus.

With Peace and Blessings,

Hengist

http://www.musicdruid.com

http://www.myspace.com/musicdruid

Please could you direct me to the nearest wabe, I feel the need to gyre and gimble a bit.

meghanst
OBOD Bard

Postby meghanst » 18 Jan 2007, 09:39

It also depends on the context, such as the religion. These words have a different meaning in Christianity to Hinduism and they can even be different for the different philosophies within Hinduism. So someone brought up in a Christian society will probably view them differently to someone from a Hindu society, even if they now both follow Druidism.

Garan Gwyn
OBOD Ovate

Postby Garan Gwyn » 19 Jan 2007, 04:34

As I believe Donata once wrote here, and I hope she doesn't mind me quoting, "seek the truth and run from anyone who has it."
I LOVE IT!  Thank you for repeating Donata's words!!   :o

(Especially appreciated, having recently freed myself from a religion who claims to be the sole channel of truth!  :???: )
Garan Gwyn
Druid of Llwyn Swynedig
/|\

"I know that I am one with beauty
And that my comrades are one.
Let our souls be mountains,
Let our spirits be stars,
Let our hearts be worlds."

-From Ansel Adams, An Autobiography
-A mantra of Gaelic origin given to Adams by Ella Young

Image Image :pan: :Cymru:

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 19 Jan 2007, 05:33

I love that quote too! It's from something a friend read and shared with me - not original with me!

Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Return to “The Shaman's Cave”