Drumming and Sacred sound's

Storage space for classic threads from The Shamanic Druid
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
forestmonk3966

Drumming and Sacred sound's

Postby forestmonk3966 » 11 Feb 2005, 01:43

Hi all.

I know the topic of Drum's has been brought up on this forum in the past,so I hope no one mind's if I bring it up now as there are more then a few new people here since then.

I was wondering how many people here have drum's and how you use them?
what type of drum do you have and why you chose it, or why do you believe it chose you?
do you play it for fun, or to connect ...ect?

I'm very interested in hearing your point's of view.

Blessing's
Don.

Wolfwalker

Postby Wolfwalker » 15 Feb 2005, 01:34

well, beside a regular set I use in playing with bands or in studio work, I play Bodhran, djembe, congas, most hand and orchestral percussion instuments and some melodic stuff as well. My releationship with the drum is very different from others I know though, as I have for very many years believed them to be the heartbeat of the Earth Mother manifest in our human effots to respond to Her. To me it is sacred as with the full-blooded relatives of my family... as walking a red road the drum is sacred and even from some parts of my celtic heritage it is seen as having a essential part in ritual.
Anytime you want to talk drum, Drop me a pm. BTW, there's also more stuff in the music threads.
blessings, Peter
Love people and use things, NOT use people and love things...

forestmonk3966

Postby forestmonk3966 » 15 Feb 2005, 17:42

Thank's for the info,Peter.I'll check out the music thread's.

I agree. the Drum as used to create sacred sound seem's to have it's origin rooted in Spirituality. and most likely music ( in general) as well. I feel pretty much the same way as you do, thoe I have alway's thought of the drumbeat as the heartbeat(vibration) of the universe. it's nice to see that there are other's that think along the same line. I totaly see the relatingship of the drumbeat as it relate's to the heartbeat of mother also.
thank's for sharing .

I do have one question you mite be able to help me with. I'll ask here because there may be other's with the same sort of question.
one of my Djimbe's need's a new skin. I want to go with a synthetic because it's the drum I take with when I'm away from home and I don't want to have to worry about it.
in your opinion, would you use a Fiberskin or a Mondo for a Djimbe?

Blessing's
Don.

Mey

Postby Mey » 15 Feb 2005, 19:14

For me the sound of a celtic harp is sacred. I don't play it myself so I have to use CDs and a good set of headphones. It just makes me drift away....
:curtsey: Peace, Love and Icecream
~ Mey ~ Kinky Tinky Winky ~

Random poster award 2007The Holy Helm of Randomness: :helm:
Great High Queen of Ramdom...ness and Cantelope squasher!

Wolfwalker

Postby Wolfwalker » 16 Feb 2005, 02:50

Don, if I HAD to use a synthetic skin on it, I'd use the Fiberskin as I like the more 'natural' sound I've gotten from them... I have pading I use inside the duffle bag I transport my drum in... one of those thick fluffy Toilet lid covers with the elastic to hold it in place... it absorbs a lot of the daily travel knocks and slight bumps against sharp objects and careless handlers. You wouldn't believe the weird looks I get when I go to take a green furry toilet topper off the drum when I pull it out! Oh well...
blessings, Peter

forestmonk3966

Postby forestmonk3966 » 16 Feb 2005, 15:15

Hi Mey. thank you for sharing.

I agree. the harp is a beautiful instrument with an enchanting sound.
have you thought about learning to play one?

Hi Peter.

thank's for your advice,I'll try a Fiberskin first but I'll problably try out the Mondo as well as some other's.with the hardware I built for this Djimbe,changing head's and tuning is easy.

Great Idea about the toilet seat cover!!!

lol maybe I'll get a blue one and glue googly eyes on it like cookie monster's :-)

Blessing's
Don.

Wolfwalker

Postby Wolfwalker » 16 Feb 2005, 15:32

neat idea... maybe I can do mine to look like Oscar the Grouch. And Mey, I keep my autoharp tuned and ready at all times... one of the melodic instruments I play... that's more for creative times, mood setting or settling shredded nerves for me, or to accompany some quiet song... what Type of harp do you use? The autoharp is a small American adaptation of their Appalacian harp, but with a set of key stops for forming chords and as a lap harp that can also be played while standing if you attach a guitar strap to it, is really very light and portable, so travels to circle gatherings or camps well.
BB, Peter

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 18 Feb 2005, 04:04

Ilove the toilet seat cover idea! thanks! For me, the drum is a sacred instrument, and also, the heartbeat of Mother Earth. My drums are blessed, as are other tools, and treated with respect.

I play my drums for myself, and when doing shamanic journeys for myself and for others.

I have a Celtic harp which I play for myself - no lessons - and enjoy very much. It produces a light trance for me.

Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

forestmonk3966

Postby forestmonk3966 » 18 Feb 2005, 14:15

Hi Donata.

Thank you for sharing

Often time's when I can't just sit and meditate, I play my frame drum(wich is also blessed)and it bring's me there every time.

Blessing's
Don.

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 18 Feb 2005, 15:26

HI Forestmonk,

I love your Inuit Prayer! very meaningful.

Yes, I also like to drum by myself at times - and yes, it takes me there each time!

Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

forestmonk3966

Postby forestmonk3966 » 18 Feb 2005, 16:51

Thank you ,Donata.

I remember my grandfather saying it when I was a kid, his mother was Inuit.
and thank's to ,Mey posting a link about prayer's a few week's ago, it came back to me.

Don

White Dragonwolf

Postby White Dragonwolf » 07 Jul 2005, 20:22

I know this is an older thread and I am bumping it back up.

I recently bought a drum, plan to make one at a later date. What started me on searching for my drum was a book I bought about Sacred Drumming. I have always loved drums. I just never felt the time was right to get one til recently. I felt a need for one, so I can get closer to the spirit.

I made my drum beater by hand. I took one of my wood pieces that I had put aside for making wands. This one had a double knob on one end, it was just calling for something to beat on. I wrapped it in velvet, tyed it with leather and put a leather cover on top of it and laced it closed. Plan to add some feathers.

I have plans to add feathers and shells around my drum and paint a design on my hand drum. Still needs rawhide on back to help grasp the drum. I love creating this spiritual tool that will help me grow during my path.

Just felt the need to share.

Flora

Postby Flora » 07 Jul 2005, 21:13

Hello White Dragonwolf,

thanks for bumping up this thread and for sharing. Nice to read about you making your drum and beater your own. I love this creative things. Still doing that with my own drum.

I made one a half year ago during a three-days workshop. It was a great experience, involving a sweatlodge-ceremony and an drum-awakening ceremony. I put a lot of energy and love in smoothen the edges of the frame (sitting outside in the sun), cutting the buffalo skin the right shape and finally putting the skin on the frame(which is beech). I think my efforts are well rewarded: my drum has a beautiful, deep sound. I love to hear it, it goes right through me. My drum means a lot to me. It's not just some drum. At the moment I play the drum only for myself. Hope someday to use it with and for others though.

:oakfall: Flora
Last edited by Flora on 07 Jul 2005, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
The drum is the Great Spirit's favorite instrument. That's why we were all given a heartbeat. (Mano, Navajo Elder)

White Dragonwolf

Postby White Dragonwolf » 07 Jul 2005, 21:36

Flora that was so awesome, you could feel the love from your words on making your drum. That had to be a unique experience. Thank you for sharing your story. :D

forestmonk3966

Postby forestmonk3966 » 24 Jul 2005, 16:53

thank's,Dragonwolf and Flora.

wonderful!

Brigantia
OBOD Bard

Postby Brigantia » 26 Jul 2005, 18:12

I must be a bit weird. Drumming just makes me nasty bordering on psychotic...it doesn't work with my aura or nervous system.

But, my playing harp does wonders for me and listening to tibetan singing bowls is a great meditative experience. Has anyone heard the Cd "Seven Metals"? It's wonderful but I'd highly advice against driving while listening to it.

forestmonk3966

Postby forestmonk3966 » 28 Jul 2005, 17:24

I haven't heard of it,sorry.

thank you for sharing :)

Ailim
OBOD Druid

Postby Ailim » 16 Aug 2005, 23:47

I have a goat skin shaman drum, and still learning to connect with it. What I've discovered so far, is that when I go into a drumming trance, my inhibitions seem to melt away, and I start moving around to the beat, stamping my feet or just swaying. Some times I even open my mouth and just let the sound come out - thankfully no one can hear me! :)

The experience is uplifting and seems to help me loosen myself up, if that's the right description :-)
Ailim
As we progress on our journey we are changed by it

http://www.pagan-transitions.org.uk (Pagan funeral resource site)
Member of OBOD, The Druid Network and the Pagan Federation

forestmonk3966

Postby forestmonk3966 » 22 Aug 2005, 18:23

Thank's Ailim.

I know what you mean,I get that same sort of feeling, it's kinda like being drunk ,lol.I was blessed with having company this weekend(a dear old friend that I have not seen in year's) we did quite a bit of drumming by the fire,it was a very powerful expearience for the both of us so in light of that, I'm inspired to finnish the drum I started the spring before last. it's a 22in die.x 13in deep,ceremonyal. the frame is red ceader and I'm hoping to get my hand's on some Elk hide for the heads.
I'll post some pics when it's done.

blessing's.

Wolfwalker

Postby Wolfwalker » 22 Aug 2005, 20:56

Elk hide? Get a rental truck and cruise the secondary highways, til you create roadkill maybe? That looks after feeding the non-vegans in the household too. Seriously though, if you don't know a place already, I'd make like Selene and Google it. I added it to my toolbar I use it so much nowadays!
bb, Peter

Return to “The Shaman's Cave”