Our Backyard Sacred Sites

A place to post stories, pictures, experiences and engage in druidic discussion of areas throughout the world that are considered to be sacred places. These may be ancient man-made structures, natural sites of great power and beauty, places of religious devotion, modern secular sites or individual private places that inspire awe and devotion.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Our Backyard Sacred Sites

Postby Dryadia2 » 22 Nov 2007, 18:40

I'm starting this thread, as suggested by a few folks, where everyone is invited to post their backyard landscapes.

Here's a pic of my meditation grove, from when I had 28 acres out in the country, North Texas, USA:
The trees in this grove consist of red and white oaks, & ash trees.

Peace and Blessings,
:dryadia: /|\
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than any city on earth - Steve McQueen

Explorer
OBOD Druid

Re: Our Backyard Sacred Sites

Postby Explorer » 30 Nov 2007, 07:57

I'm starting this thread, as suggested by a few folks, where everyone is invited to post their backyard landscapes.

Here's a pic of my meditation grove, from when I had 28 acres out in the country, North Texas, USA:
The trees in this grove consist of red and white oaks, & ash trees.
ah yes, I remember when you still had that and showing us pictures of it.
I live in a flat, so I don't have a backyard. But I always call this my backyard. This is my grove (the circle is pretty obvious):
Last edited by Explorer on 30 Nov 2007, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Adara

Postby Adara » 30 Nov 2007, 16:32

Dryadia2, I simply love your little nook with it's trees. And is that a Celtic cross statue I see there in the middle? I just ask because it looks like one I have in my family room.
I would love a quiet backyard sanctuary to be closer to Gaia. Unfortunately I live in the suburbs. On a busy street corner. With my bare backyard 2 yards away from a busy 4 lane road. There is constant traffic and zero privacy since my fence is so low. I feel like a , oh I don't know, a dryad trapped in a box.

those trees must really "recharge your batteries" as I say.

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Postby Dryadia2 » 30 Nov 2007, 20:35

I've since sold the 28 acres, and I really miss my meditation grove, ceremonial grove, dragon labyrinth, and small shed-type cottage in the woods, that I had built.

I now live on the outskirts of town, with a nice sized yard. The 2 pics below, were taken of my Alban Arthuan 2005 ritual in my backyard. I sometimes use the birdbath (without water) as a central focal point/altar. Then I have 4 flat stones (which are kind of hard to see), that I use to mark the directions/quarters, and set my various items on: (candle, chalice, incense burner, basket, grounding stone, etc).

(click pics for larger image)

Here are a couple of more recent pics, from springtime this year:

The trees in the backyard include: Post Oaks (white oak), Pecan trees, and a large Sugarberry (Celtis), while many other types of trees are in other parts of my yard, and adjacent lot.
...is that a Celtic cross statue I see there in the middle?...
Yes, it is, and I brought it with me to my current home. The Celtic cross is now in my backyard (and barely visible above and behind the birdbath in the 2nd and 4th pics).

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than any city on earth - Steve McQueen

Jingle
OBOD Ovate

Postby Jingle » 01 Dec 2007, 08:32

Some of you have already seen this one, which was last year:

Now things are growing wilder, the labyrinth is not so groomed, but our wildlife is visiting regularly:
Butterfly_in_the_Backyard.jpg
Butterfly_in_the_Backyard.jpg (91.68 KiB) Viewed 10817 times
mom%20c%20in%20snow.jpg
mom%20c%20in%20snow.jpg (81.71 KiB) Viewed 10817 times
(yes, that's snow already)
Light,

Jingle

ImageImage :ioho: :recycle:
2008 IL
2009 BS
---------------
Young and alone on a long road, Once I lost my way: Rich I felt when I found another; Man rejoices in man. ~ Hávamál
----------------
Avatar edited from http://www.hawkmountain.org - watching and protecting our magnificent birds of prey...

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Postby Dryadia2 » 01 Dec 2007, 17:29

Hiya Explorer! :hiya:
Thanks for sharing the pic of your grove!Image

Hey Jingle,
I can't see 2 of your pics. :cry:

Lora
OBOD Ovate

Postby Lora » 26 Jan 2008, 01:58

I have a small garden - this is the view from the kitchen door towards the back fence, taken last summer, to give you an idea of the scale.
garden july 07 sml.jpg
garden july 07 sml.jpg (68.72 KiB) Viewed 13304 times
And this is the little shady corner on the other side of the greenhouse where I go to sit and meditate, when it's quiet. Not exactly a grove but the nearest I'll get to seclusion in my garden.
garden july 07 010.jpg
garden july 07 010.jpg (112.41 KiB) Viewed 13295 times

Jingle
OBOD Ovate

Postby Jingle » 26 Jan 2008, 06:14

This is lovely, Lorraine. What a wonderful space you have created! :shake:
Light,

Jingle

ImageImage :ioho: :recycle:
2008 IL
2009 BS
---------------
Young and alone on a long road, Once I lost my way: Rich I felt when I found another; Man rejoices in man. ~ Hávamál
----------------
Avatar edited from http://www.hawkmountain.org - watching and protecting our magnificent birds of prey...

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Postby Dryadia2 » 26 Jan 2008, 07:10

Beautifully done Lorraine! Your garden & meditation spot, look so cozy and inviting! :cloud9:
Thanks for sharing your pics!

Peace and Blessings,

butterfly watcher
OBOD Bard

Postby butterfly watcher » 29 Jan 2008, 15:24

Hi Dryadia2, these photos are of my garden.
xx
Last edited by butterfly watcher on 14 Jan 2009, 10:22, edited 2 times in total.
Butterfly watcherImage

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Postby Dryadia2 » 29 Jan 2008, 19:18

Wow! What a humongous yard, Butterfly watcher! :o
(I'm glad that I'm not the one who mows the grass)! :-)
And look at all those trees! Beautiful! :cloud9:

Maghouin
OBOD Bard

Postby Maghouin » 29 Jan 2008, 22:42

I don't have the pleasure of having my own grove at home right now but I do get the incredible privilege of the use of some very beautiful forest land about a 20 minute drive away and also an incredible stone circle that was created as landscape art years ago by a good friend.

Here are some pics of "my" stones.

In retrospect - the many nights spent walking within the circle were instrumental in leading me back to Druidry.

I usually go at night so there is almost never anyone up there but occasionally during the day you could run into someone. I only feel comfortable doing any sort of ritual at odd hours but the power of Place there is astounding. It it truly a place of peace.
Attachments
stonefog06.jpg
stonefog06.jpg (20.87 KiB) Viewed 10603 times
the stones.jpg
the stones.jpg (5.56 KiB) Viewed 10602 times

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Postby Dryadia2 » 30 Jan 2008, 05:33

...I do get the incredible privilege of the use of some very beautiful forest land...and also an incredible stone circle that was created as landscape art years ago by a good friend...

...the power of Place there is astounding. It it truly a place of peace.
How wonderful, that you have access to the forest and stone circle, so closeby! :D

butterfly watcher
OBOD Bard

Postby butterfly watcher » 30 Jan 2008, 11:13

Grass cutting takes about 20 minutes, not long, and i love it. Keeps you fit. I dont cut right up to the hedges becauce i get Bluebells and Stitchwart. We have the chickens scratching around in the veg patch at the moment, keeping the weeds down.Maghouin great stone circle, i`ve been thinking about setting 4 stones in my garden, dont think i will build it that big though. :wink:
Butterfly watcherImage

Maghouin
OBOD Bard

Postby Maghouin » 30 Jan 2008, 16:42

Well I can't claim that I did build it. I just get to enjoy it. The fellow who did build it is an artist. When he bought the land years ago, the circle (minus the stones) was already there and he instinctively knew that it was a special place. He could see the rings of stones in his minds eye and just jumped in and started getting the stones brought in and placed. I'm sure it must have been a huge project but it is a powerful place to be sure. I got those photos from him but perhaps in the future I'll post some that I've taken myself.

It's very interesting actually - both of us believe that in ages past it was a sacred site. There are actually two other natural circles in the forest (no stones) not that far away (that few people know about) that appear ancient. My friend has brought some of his Native American friends to those sights and almost all of them were visibly affected and thought that the circles in the forest were extremely powerful places. It's strange - the trees just don't grow there. You can see where a few little ones try to come up but they die off. I personally don't really plan on doing much in the way of ritual in those two groves on account of the huge ant hill in the middle of it. :)

Claer
OBOD Bard

Postby Claer » 30 Jan 2008, 18:56

It is great to see peoples places of ritual, meditation and contemplation. I have plans for the bottom of my garden to become a grove area. When we viewed the property, the hawthorn and elder hedge with brambles tangled in it that is there just felt special, and both of us had the idea of making it the space in our garden for celebrations etc.
The only problem is that this area has a dip, and with the heavy rain in the UK, water has collected here, so our plans to plant more native trees has been shelved for the moment. It is a bit more of a sacred pool than a grove. We plan to put a pond in, with some drainage so that we can keep the water aspect of the area, but make it a bit more contained. We have the arch from our handfasting that we plan to put up to form an entrance to the area. Hoping that the plan for native planting and a more wild area will attract more wildlife.
Claer /|\
:acornantlers:

butterfly watcher
OBOD Bard

Postby butterfly watcher » 31 Jan 2008, 11:57

Yes it is strange how places can have a `Special` feeling about them. a hill called Roundball Hill, i cant stop thinking that it is an ancient burial site. Across the valley there is an iron age hill fort called Dumpdon. Link for Dumpdon http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=4610 . I will go there and take some photos when the weather is a bit better.
Claer i have a lot of Elder and Hawthorn in my garden, and a couple of Oaks. Outside my sacred space i was thinking about building a pond. I like the idea about the Arch leading you into your Sacred space.
Last edited by butterfly watcher on 14 Jan 2009, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
Butterfly watcherImage

butterfly watcher
OBOD Bard

Postby butterfly watcher » 31 Jan 2008, 12:04

Butterfly watcherImage

Moonrising
OBOD Bard

Postby Moonrising » 06 Feb 2008, 21:06

This is the beacon hill I see from my kitchen window (we're down in the valley so the view isn't so spectacular but still lovely)

This is a place I can walk to in a few minutes from my house. It's a wooded area with a stream coming down a steep hill and lots of little bridges. Often when coming home by car I stop there and just sit on that bench for a few minutes.

:D

Our garden backs onto the main road and is just a play area for the kids really.
Moonrising

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes."
Walt Whitman

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Postby Dryadia2 » 06 Feb 2008, 23:27

What beautiful rolling hills and woods with a stream, you have there Moonrising!
Thanks for sharing your pics!

Return to “Sacred Sites”