Our Backyard Sacred Sites

A place to post stories, pictures, experiences and engage in druidic discussion of areas throughout the world that are considered to be sacred places. These may be ancient man-made structures, natural sites of great power and beauty, places of religious devotion, modern secular sites or individual private places that inspire awe and devotion.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
little david

Re: Our Backyard Sacred Sites

Postby little david » 16 Apr 2008, 23:59

i was walking through a field today right next to where i live to a tree that i sit against occasionally. although its ok, the tree's never truely felt like a proper place to go. so i carried on walking down the trail. to my surprise i found a stream that lead off to the right of the trail with loads of trees edging it. right at the end of the trail there is a log laying on the floor. its away from main roads (although there is one around a mile and a half away) away from where kids might come and play and very peaceful. unfortunately it was freezing today and my ears got sore very quickly :-) all i need to do now is learn how to meditate properly, i can never do it at all without thoughts appearing within less than 5 seconds :x

Jingle
OBOD Ovate

Postby Jingle » 27 Apr 2008, 22:15

Sometimes our backyard sacred sites become more sacred as good and wonderful people gather in it. The energy from our Beltane celebration did just that. The positive energy left in our site is still overwhelming, and brings us much joy:
The May Pole
May Pole.jpg
May Pole.jpg (152.04 KiB) Viewed 6261 times
The Drummers
drummers.jpg
drummers.jpg (155.03 KiB) Viewed 5964 times
The Twin Fires
Twin Fires.jpg
Twin Fires.jpg (154.69 KiB) Viewed 5960 times
Light,

Jingle

ImageImage :ioho: :recycle:
2008 IL
2009 BS
---------------
Young and alone on a long road, Once I lost my way: Rich I felt when I found another; Man rejoices in man. ~ Hávamál
----------------
Avatar edited from http://www.hawkmountain.org - watching and protecting our magnificent birds of prey...

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Postby Dryadia2 » 28 Apr 2008, 03:01

Looks like it was a wonderful celebration, Jingle! :D
Thanks for sharing.

Peace and Blessings,
:dryadia: /|\
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than any city on earth - Steve McQueen

Aigeann
OBOD Druid

Postby Aigeann » 28 Apr 2008, 17:06

~wow~ It looks like a wonderful time.

You deserve it-type Blessings, Aigeann
ImageImage

Corvin

Postby Corvin » 09 Dec 2008, 23:18

Cool Jingle. I have a concrete front lawn. I'm sort of near an urban grove at least...

Niniene

Postby Niniene » 21 Mar 2009, 05:45

I rent a room in a house and right by where they hang the clothes in the back, there's a Chinese/lacebark elm tree. I've been meaning to take time to go outside and converse with it to see what energy the yard holds. There are also patches of tall, uncut grass and from a short skimming about the yard, there's plenty of fall/winter droppings from the trees. I would love to be able to have my own special place to make a circular clearing or stone circle, but for now I just borrow random tree trunks and use them for back rests, LOL!

White Willow
OBOD Bard

Postby White Willow » 11 Apr 2009, 17:07

Our garden is very small but we have made it our special place here are a couple of pic's
Attachments
SH100005.JPG
SH100005.JPG (240.63 KiB) Viewed 5665 times
SH100007a.JPG
SH100007a.JPG (248.99 KiB) Viewed 5661 times

Listen closely and you may hear.

Jingle
OBOD Ovate

Postby Jingle » 11 Apr 2009, 22:28

White Willow, what a beautiful space you have created!
Light,

Jingle

2008 IL
2009 BS
---------------
Young and alone on a long road, Once I lost my way: Rich I felt when I found another; Man rejoices in man. ~ Hávamál
----------------
Avatar edited from http://www.hawkmountain.org - watching and protecting our magnificent birds of prey...

White Willow
OBOD Bard

Postby White Willow » 12 Apr 2009, 00:35

Thankyou we dont have a lawn front or back but try to have as many pots as we can. However I love the colour the plum slate goes when its wet so its a compromise.
Bb
Lin x

Listen closely and you may hear.

Jingle
OBOD Ovate

Postby Jingle » 13 Apr 2009, 22:43

The stones are much better than a lawn, any day.
Light,

Jingle

2008 IL
2009 BS
---------------
----------------

childofthewoods
OBOD Bard

Postby childofthewoods » 04 Aug 2010, 11:09

I have the great privilage of living 5 minutes away from some of the most awe-inspiring sacred sites...Avebury, West Kennet Long Barrow, Windmill Hill and Silbury hil. Not to mention The Swallowhead Springs (next to the long barrow), Savernake Forrest and West Woods.

Everyday, on my drive to work I pass all of these sites and realise just how lucky I am.
:oakleaves: Child of the Woods :oakleaves:

Mellinda
OBOD Druid

Postby Mellinda » 02 Jul 2011, 23:15

My garden sacred space, Oak tree grown from accorn from tree under threat to be cut down by council
Attachments
My Oak tree RS7a.jpg
My Oak tree RS7a.jpg (35.45 KiB) Viewed 5109 times
Pond RS 7a.jpg
Pond RS 7a.jpg (44.06 KiB) Viewed 5109 times
Stone Face lite up at night RS.jpg
Stone Face lite up at night RS.jpg (31.18 KiB) Viewed 5109 times
Last edited by Mellinda on 02 Jul 2011, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.
Your as old as your soul age not your body. I was born as Sagittarius was rising.
ImageImageImageImage
2010 SB 2010 BS
2010 IL 2011 IL

2011 LI

Mellinda
OBOD Druid

Postby Mellinda » 02 Jul 2011, 23:17

My gardenStones earth spirit face
Attachments
Stoneface earth spirit RS5.jpg
Stoneface earth spirit RS5.jpg (35.17 KiB) Viewed 5109 times
Your as old as your soul age not your body. I was born as Sagittarius was rising.
ImageImageImageImage
2010 SB 2010 BS
2010 IL 2011 IL

2011 LI

Summer Moon
OBOD Bard

Postby Summer Moon » 02 Jun 2012, 10:21

What wonderful spaces you have all created. I have a small area behind my home that is land owned by the motorway behind us and they let me potter around there as long as its tidy. Its great because I never see another soul out there on weekends and only very occasionally during the week when they send maintenance crews to clean the storm water drains and clear paths.
Its a long narrow strip of land and directly behind my fence I've planted native flowering trees and shrubs to encourage native birds and animals to visit.
Behind my neighbours home I have planted a mix of native and non native plants around 2 frog ponds and created a small clearing big enough for one where I do rituals/meditations and just sit out there to read and relax when its not cold wet and wintery :)
native garden.jpg
Looking towards the young native trees ive planted.
native garden.jpg (208.67 KiB) Viewed 6024 times
herbs.jpg
Meditation/Ritual space
herbs.jpg (146.29 KiB) Viewed 6024 times
Becki
Summer Moon

As I clap my hands
with the echoes, it begins to dawn -
the summer moon

Scatterbat
OBOD Bard

Postby Scatterbat » 03 Jan 2013, 09:17

Our backyard is too open and I would not feel comfortable using it for ceremony or meditation due to our neighbours.
When I lived in Warminster many years back I did have a place in a woodland I used to visit regular for quiet moments of contemplation and meditation.Often I would perform a little ceremony there.But I have moved around a lot since so finding a new site where I can get too easily without a lot of travelling is important.I now live where I grew up which is nice.There is a woodland but its about one and a half hours by foot.Always feel at home in this wood so it may be a place for a gathering later on.
Most of the countryside has opened up to walkers and dog owners.I recently went to a spot to find an old oak who keeps attracting my attention.Usually its just a very strong urge to go there.I ended up with a tiny yappy dog around my ankles.Thing came from nowhere.It seems to have got very very busy in the countryside in recent years.I will go back to this site occationally but its not a place that could be used regularly anymore.
Another site by a stream has been attracting me since I was a child.I used to play there catching sticklebacks.Its wooded on both banks at this place,I have been there a few times to make offerings but it seems to draw attention of other people just by leaving the green and slipping down into the trees and shrubs towards the steam.I was followed by one nosy old man last year who stood there watching me for quite a while.It's only when I walked towards him he decided to dissapear.Such a pity as its the only part of the stream that actually feels vibrant.Pretty sure I will get arrested using this site one day.
Still the hunt for somewhere suitable continues,but not everywhere feels right for one reason or another.Sometimes its the area I am looking at itself that feels odd.

LadyKatlinel
OBOD Bard

Postby LadyKatlinel » 20 Jul 2013, 23:31

It took me nearly a month of passing by on my daily walks, but I found a lovely little grove of oak trees within a few minutes walk of my home. It forms a natural circle and has rocks bounding it, including two at the western side that are a gateway to enter and a central rock perfect for offerings. There is a raised firepit in the northeast and nearby are fields, a pond, stream and wooded areas largely of oak. It is somewhat public and has little in the way of seclusion, but is a delight to have found hiding in plain site.
Eternal student of life
Druid of the Bardic grade

Oakthorn
OBOD Bard

Postby Oakthorn » 08 Nov 2013, 17:04

We visit our local forest a lot, but this morning it was particularly enchanted :) This is on the outskirts of London, bordering the Essex Countryside, England.

http://s838.photobucket.com/user/oaktho ... %208-11-13
Forest walker, tree talker & soup maker

Return to “Sacred Sites”