Which is the most powerful tree you've encountered?

A place to post stories, pictures, experiences and engage in druidic discussion of areas throughout the world that are considered to be sacred places. These may be ancient man-made structures, natural sites of great power and beauty, places of religious devotion, modern secular sites or individual private places that inspire awe and devotion.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
sarahbythebeach

Re: Which is the most powerful tree you've encountered?

Postby sarahbythebeach » 12 Dec 2013, 00:38

In Mylor in the Adelaide hills in South Australia there is a couple of very special very old trees - dont even know what type they are. A few of us gathered around the base of one of the trees and softly chanted Awen's whilst touching it. All of us felt the tree begin a slow pulse which moved from the roots upwards. There was a sense of communication with the tree in a way that Ive not experienced before - it was very special.

Several years ago I also witnessed an amazing event which totally blew me away. I was sitting in a classroom listening to the teacher who was boring. I gazed out the window and noticed the trees swaying gently in the wind. One large tree in particular caught my attention - it was a pine. It began to quiver, it was very definitely quivering and out of sync with the swaying of the other trees. The vibrations moved from the trunk, out along the branches and out to the tips of the needles and then it released a huge cloud of yellow pollen. That was amazing and I felt very priviledged to have witnessed this event.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 12 Dec 2013, 17:49

In Mylor in the Adelaide hills in South Australia there is a couple of very special very old trees - dont even know what type they are. A few of us gathered around the base of one of the trees and softly chanted Awen's whilst touching it. All of us felt the tree begin a slow pulse which moved from the roots upwards. There was a sense of communication with the tree in a way that Ive not experienced before - it was very special.
How fortunate you were to be a part of that!
Several years ago I also witnessed an amazing event which totally blew me away. I was sitting in a classroom listening to the teacher who was boring. I gazed out the window and noticed the trees swaying gently in the wind. One large tree in particular caught my attention - it was a pine. It began to quiver, it was very definitely quivering and out of sync with the swaying of the other trees. The vibrations moved from the trunk, out along the branches and out to the tips of the needles and then it released a huge cloud of yellow pollen. That was amazing and I felt very priviledged to have witnessed this event.
That must have been awesome. I didn't even know that was how trees released pollen; how ignorant of me!

shirley mclaren
OBOD Ovate

Postby shirley mclaren » 23 Jul 2014, 14:32

An ancient yew in Kingley Vale. I visited on the Autumn Equnox a couple of years back and performed the ritual with one. A very powerful and inspiring connection.
ALL THAT WE ARE IS THE RESULT OF WHAT WE HAVE THOUGHT

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 26 Jul 2014, 21:50

An ancient yew in Kingley Vale. I visited on the Autumn Equnox a couple of years back and performed the ritual with one. A very powerful and inspiring connection.
An amazing place. The sheer presence of the great wild yews takes some beating. Newlands Corner and Druid's Grove both in Surrey are two more places where yews of that age can be found in the wild- but the greatest of all for me is the ancient yew on the rock valley wall in Borrowdale in Cumbria.
http://www.ancient-yew.org/treeInfo.php?link=88
I visit every year if I can.
S
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

Explorer
OBOD Druid

Postby Explorer » 28 Jul 2014, 13:17

A very ordinary random pine in a very ordinary production plantation.

I had a job interview coming, to which I was totally unqualified. I didn't have any of the skills they asked for, and it was at one of the top science institutes of this country. No chance, I just applied for the fun of it, to see it from the inside for once...

I had never heard of 'druids' and wasn't in the tree hugging habit yet. But on impulse I went to a tree, touched it, asked it for support, and felt a wave of confidence flowing through me. I went to the interview totally relaxed and told the interviewers that I had no clue about the stuff they where asking. But I had enough confidence to show them my skills with a lot of enthousiasm. And to my utter surprise they hired me.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

samurai
OBOD Ovate

Postby samurai » 29 Jul 2014, 19:43

Possibly the Yew tree in Marston St.Lawence Church yard,especially if you sit inside it.

andromeda
OBOD Ovate

Postby andromeda » 30 Jul 2014, 14:33

Thus far the Yews at Kingley Vale...truly awesome dryads
ImageImage

Gallantrv2427
OBOD Bard

Postby Gallantrv2427 » 10 Nov 2015, 02:05

Cedar has always been the tree that stood out most for me...I consider it a sort of totem for myself. To me, it symbolizes perseverence and strength.

Dogrose
OBOD Bard

Postby Dogrose » 10 Nov 2015, 11:03

Apple trees for me. Preferably older ones in a place where I can spend time with them, I've lived in a couple of places that had old apple trees in the garden.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 10 Nov 2015, 13:51

I guess it depends upon what you mean - the most powerful or the most significant :shrug:

The most significant tree to me is the Yew, whose inspiration and strength supported me at a difficult time and ultimately led me to Druidry. I have come across several trees, or groups of trees that are powerful though but couldn't say which was the most powerful.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Return to “Sacred Sites”