Which is the most powerful tree you've encountered?

A place to post stories, pictures, experiences and engage in druidic discussion of areas throughout the world that are considered to be sacred places. These may be ancient man-made structures, natural sites of great power and beauty, places of religious devotion, modern secular sites or individual private places that inspire awe and devotion.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Huathe

Re: Which is the most powerful tree you've encountered?

Postby Huathe » 02 Nov 2010, 15:28

Everyone,

This post invokes a lot of thought in me. First off, trees are what lead me to druidism. They are why I am here. For years I have communed with them and walked the forests here in my part of the country. I joined the Eastern Native Tree Society http://www.nativetreesociety.org/ to learn more about them and meet others who had an interest in trees. ENTS turned out to be very rewarding and I am still a very active member with them. But I also seeked a more spiritual aspect of trees and that was something ENTS did not quite go far enough into so I seeked another group to forfill this need. My sister sent me several links and one was the link to the OBOD website. Druidism felt so natural to me, in fact I had been called " druid " before and have studied much on the Celts as well as trees & forests. Anyway, to make a long story short, the trees led me to druidry and here I am!

Sadly to say, I have no single one tree that is a closest friend. I have had ones that could have been but then I move and someone else moves in where I used to live and I then no longer have access to the tree. But I have many tree friends and commune with them regularly. I talk to them, often out loud when I am in the forest. I pray with them, and yes I even hug them. I hear them and can feel their energy. One of the saddest things I have ever felt is entering a dead old growth hemlock grove after the trees have been killed off by the imported pest the Hemlock Wooly Adelgid. It not only looks dead but feels dead. It is unearthly quiet, except for falling dead limbs and you can feel the absence of these trees by the lack of their energy field, their life force, around you. It is hard to explain but I have left these dead groves on a number of occaisions in tears. And it is all topped off that these trees did not have to die. Stricter laws could have kept the adelgid pest out of the US in the first place and authorities acted too slowly to save many trees that could have been saved by systemic pesticide treatments. However a small bright side exists. Will Blozan and ENTS has documented the trees for future generations so people will know how big and how old, etc, the trees got. Something that was lacking when the American Chestnuts died off and hence much is not known about them. Will did not want this to happen with the hemlocks so he started the ENTS " Tsuga Search " project. Will also owns his own arborist company and treats hemlock trees for the pest!

As far as the trees that speak to me the most, I associate most closely with Hawthorns and Rowans, in my case American Mountain Ash. Hawthorns have the most character of any trees I have ever met. I also feel close to Eastern White Pine and American Holly trees. I am always humbled by the whispering of the Great Whites and I have a local forest where I go just to sit an commune with these trees.

All trees are special and all are my friends. They make the best of friends. They talk to you if you just take the time to listen and they have much to teach. Unlike people, they never will betray you, at least it has never happened to me yet.

I could go on and on but I will let it stop here.

:huathe:
James E Parton
Bardic Course Graduate - Ovate Student
New Order of Druids

" We all cry tears, we all bleed red "_Ronnie Dunn

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/
http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
http://www.burningman.com/

Vapour Trail

Postby Vapour Trail » 03 Nov 2010, 16:04

You see, this is so interesting. How many of us have said "Trees are what led me into druidry/druidism?". What's that all about? I've heard the trees described as the lungs of the planet, but we seem to be saying that they are her messengers, guiding us all into a more intimate relationship with the world of Nature in The Spiritual Present.

They say to us: don't waste your life working for the next life, or hankering after the past that has gone - use this one, be here now, work to improve and appreciate what's around you. This is surely the heart of druidry, and therefore could we say that TREES themselves are the heart of druidry?

Does not the word "druid" come from "duir" or "derw" meaning "oak" but also "door". Trees as the doorways into the Otherworld, yet literally openings (as in 'opportunities') in this world too.
Positive energies.

Vapour Trail
...and then he was gone...

http://www.hedgedruid.com : The dowsing and druidry blog

Huathe

Postby Huathe » 04 Nov 2010, 16:10

Vapour Trail,

Yes, I agree with you. I believe the trees are the messenger of our earthly mother, Dana. They have so much to tell if people would just slow down and listen to them. People also should value them just as much as other seemingly more " important " life forms like animals. When a tree is cut it should come to thought " Is this REALLY necessary? We druids are ones of " Oak Knowledge " and should find all trees sacred.

While I find the past and preparing for the future/next world very important I too have felt the trees saying " Today is important, take care of us and mother earth before it is too late ". The trees are the messengers for the earth and we should be the ambassadors for the trees, the " Tree Shepherds " the real ents of this world.

:treehug:
James E Parton
Bardic Course Graduate - Ovate Student
New Order of Druids

" We all cry tears, we all bleed red "_Ronnie Dunn

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/
http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
http://www.burningman.com/

Ryan LeClair

Postby Ryan LeClair » 03 May 2011, 06:48

I go to school in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, one of the most conservative Spots in the Mid-Atlantic. Not much in the way of tree veneration around here. In the plot behind the College, there's a path leading through some fairly young woods (most of the trees are about a foot in diameter at breast-height). Some rebels went through and cut down several black locusts and black walnuts along the trail. In addition, there's a tree they tried to girdle -- a tall pin oak, which they cut all the way around with a chainsaw. Well, almost all the way around. Perhaps the wielder of the chainsaw was inexperienced, but he left a centimeter-wide
strip of live cambium intact. The woods are blooming, and today I walked beneath the pin oak tree with the scars -- and it had leaves, leaves throughout the entire crown. What a sight it was! Maybe the tree won't last much longer, but if so at least it gave one last sublime effort. That's the most powerful tree I've ever encountered :)
“Life is life - whether in a cat, or dog or man. There is no difference there between a cat or a man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage.” -- Sri Aurobindo

Feannag

Postby Feannag » 08 May 2011, 14:18

I have always had a fascination for trees, ever since I was a boy and my grandfather used to take me walks to Rozelle and Bellisle parks in Ayr, Scotland. I can remember visiting the 'punch' tree, where you could punch it and it would not hurt you, I think it was a Redwood of some sort, with soft bark. On reflection I wish that my earliest memories of interacting with trees weren't so violent, I hope that great being can forgive my childish ignorance.
I have recently made the decision to follow a spiritual path and change my life completely, I find very little joy or satisfaction in my current lifestyle so I have decided to follow my heart.
After discovering this forum only days ago I decided to go to my local park in Glasgow, it is called Queens Park to have a look and see if any of the trees there spoke to me. I walked around in the rain and passed through a grove of Yews, perhaps 20 of them. Suddenly I became aware of the beauty of this spot and explored a little. In amongst the Yew grove were Holly and Beech. I sat beneath the largest Beech and allowed the atmosphere of the place to wash over me, watching birds, listening to the patter of rain drops and feeling the breeze on my face. After some time I tried to commune with the Beech and I asked 2 questions, the first seemed to me to have no luck but when I asked the second, I didn't hear any voices but I felt that the Beech was communicating with me in another way. I proceeded to photograph this majestic beauty and I felt so calm and at peace while I was doing so. I felt that she had given me her blessing.
Being my first attempt at communing with a tree I feel it went quite well, hopefully I will be able to build on this experience in the near future although.

Peace to you all.

Susanne
OBOD Ovate

Postby Susanne » 08 May 2011, 14:31

Welcome Feannag
That sounds like a beautiful & powerful experience. Beech trees are one of my favorites.
I hope you enjoy your time here & good luck on your new path. :)
Sue

Teileag
OBOD Ovate

Postby Teileag » 09 May 2011, 08:43

Hello, Feannag,

It sounds like your heart guided you well! many blessings on your path...

XXX
The sounds of the winds in the elms
like the strings of a harp being played,
the note of the blackbird that claps
with the wings of delight in the glade.

Attributed to Columba

http://domhaindorcha.blogspot.com/
http://www.ceilede.co.uk

Andrea ferch Taliesin

Postby Andrea ferch Taliesin » 28 Jul 2011, 13:36

On a recent holiday in North Wales, I found not one but two extreely ancient yews in two old graveyards. Each tree was well over 1,000 years old, and I couldn't help but reflect on what they had heard and seen in their time. In one of the villages, which was very small, the war memorial recorded the names of 17 young men killed in the first world war. 17 out of a handfull of cottages! It really struck home the phrase "We lost an entire generation". That beautiful tree had witnessed what must have been scenes of utter desolation.
Both of them were so old that they had a huge cavity in the side, allowing access to the interior, an amazing experience.
knowledge is the acquisition of information, wisdom is the utilisation of knowledge. Andrea ferch Taliesin, OBOD Bard. Formerly known as MamaKaos

Idho

Postby Idho » 29 Jul 2011, 09:36

At the moment I'm really learning about all the different trees in my area and how to recognize them. I really feel this lack of knowledge is a hole in my pagan experience, but it's not as easy as I would like it to be, since I have no one in my direct area who is knowledgable enough and has the time to teach me. Some trees I already know (like oak and birch - would be a bit embarrassing to not even recognize them).
However, the sort of trees that I've always felt a strong connection with are willows. Some years ago I lived in a suburb where, at the corner of my street there stood (they're still standing, I might add) two large weeping willows. I always loved walking under them, feeling their branches brush against me. Sometimes I would say/think stuff like 'how you doing'? It just seemed appropriate :)
Where I live now, there's lots of meadows and forests and I'm loving it. I discovered a park that is relatively quiet (except for some people walking their dogs and bicyclists). Lots of young trees growing there, including a circle of 19 oak trees and, my favorites, some gnarly willows. They're just staning there, like old ladies and gentlemen (though I'm sure they're actually not that old yet), spread all over the park. They're really strong personalities and I hope to get to know them better.

Muddy Fox

Postby Muddy Fox » 29 Jul 2011, 10:05

Mine so far is a Willow as well. I went today to introduce my wolf companion to my Willow and sacred space by the river but people had been there and the place was strewn with litter. Cans, bottles, plastic bags and takeaway containers. We managed to get some out of the river, because my wolf has took a liking to paddling in the river and if I say "Bring then" he picks things up and carries them to me. He's very clever, and we picked the rest up and put it in the bin. :-(

Idho

Postby Idho » 31 Jul 2011, 08:44

How sad to hear...some people seem to think that parks/forests and nature in general is just a great place to dump their litter. At least they're rid of it, right?
I discovered a while ago that one of the smaller willows in the 'my' park was totally derooted, just lying their. I've left it for what it is, what could I do about it? Nature is taking care of it in her own way.

radgareb

Postby radgareb » 23 Aug 2011, 17:00

The most powerful Tree I have ever encountered is a difficult distinction to make but there are three who stand out among all others to me. First was a Bosc.Pear tree that grew at my home in Ga. it was very old and so laden with fruit season after season that its limbs had been growing towards the ground for a long time. its fruit was delicious and it would be covered with white blooms in the spring.
Another is the ancient Waslick Poplar known as Standing Indian here in North Carolina, oh the stories it could tell. Then there is the old Apple Tree who's thousands of blossoms in the spring perfume the air as it drifts down the mountain.

Branflakes
OBOD Ovate

Postby Branflakes » 02 Mar 2012, 00:20

I'm resurrecting this thread!

I have this maple in my parents' backyard that I'm honored to call a friend. When I was in middle school, I met this tree and named it Treebeard (I was completely obsessed with Lord of the Rings as a kid :shrug: ). I'd sit in the tree before school with my brother and eat breakfast, we spent all day in that tree. I remember the day my brother and I became friends with that tree. There was such a powerful connection between the tree and me (and, as I'd presume, my brother). At the time, I was reading "The Lost Years of Merlin" series by T.A. Barron, and the characters could talk to trees by placing their hands on the trunk of the tree and making shhwwwshhhssing sounds like the wind through the leaves. My brother and I would do this with the trees, too (and they'd answer! or so we thought. lol).
I even wrote a song for that tree! I sat in that tree with my first girlfriend, sat in that tree in pouring rain, the tree watched me grow up, it was there when I discovered my spiritual path, and it has helped to guide me through those tough times.
This morning, I made it a point to sit in that tree and have breakfast with it and enjoy a good book. It was wonderful! This, by far, has been the most powerful tree I've met.

AFDruidAlex

Postby AFDruidAlex » 16 Jul 2012, 22:47

This great, big, magnificent oak tree in my front yard. It's the best thing about my home. Throughout high school I did most of my reading and homework under it, plus countless hours of sitting under it during rain or shine, light or day. It's my absolute favorite place to go when there is a full moon. It has inspired me more than anything, just because of the sheer beauty, magic, and power of it. It's about the height of a six story building.
Living for the beauty of all nature, from the greatest tree to the smallest seed.

Vapour Trail

Postby Vapour Trail » 17 Jul 2012, 00:18

Every now and again I come back to this thread when it gets resurrected and see what's been said in the last few months. I think the longevity of the thread shows the strength of the relationship that people on our path have with these special sentient organisms.

I would like to thank everyone who has added their personal stories of their encounters to this thread, and now I'd like to invite people to slightly change tack with it. We've had these evocative talks and many of them have brought tears to my eyes on several occasions. The mind if a powerful tool for visualisation. But some of the beauty can be shared visually too. Here's my plea:

Can you actively go and find your most powerful tree and take the finest picture of it that you can? Then come back here and post it! Here's mine for starters - The legendary Llangernyw Yew - 5,000 years old and counting!

http://www.hedgedruid.com/wp-content/up ... pt10-1.jpg
Positive energies.

Vapour Trail
...and then he was gone...

http://www.hedgedruid.com : The dowsing and druidry blog

Lynni

Postby Lynni » 19 Apr 2013, 10:36

For me,it's got to be these two yew trees-the first time I met them,they surrounded me in loving energy and told me in no uncertain terms,''welcome home''
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/dsc00101dn.jpg/

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 19 Apr 2013, 22:02

Are those the yews at chalice well gardens Lynni? If so, they are great friends of mine too :)

Lynni

Postby Lynni » 19 Apr 2013, 22:43

Are those the yews at chalice well gardens Lynni? If so, they are great friends of mine too :)
Yes,they are :grin: Aren't they just a fantastic couple?

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 19 Apr 2013, 22:46

yes very special and powerful trees. I have had some great moments meditating under these yews.

LadyKatlinel
OBOD Bard

Postby LadyKatlinel » 26 Jul 2013, 03:56

I had a strong calling to revisit the redwoods and when the opportunity of a few days free presented itself I drove the five hours to the Avenue of Giants and spent time with these stately gentle giants. I then hiked through redwood groves and crossed a creek to seek out a wise old tree known as Giant tree for it's greater than 53 foot circumference. The hike itself was a treat, and I very much enjoyed the trees, the rocks, the babbling creek and the overall experience, but meeting this one tree was amazing. She isn't on the main beaten paths and it takes some effort to find her, but when I did, it was very much a spiritual experience. Laying hands on these trees, I could feel their differing personalities and feel their energies. This particular venerable giant had a slow but rhythmic pulse to her as she watched over the millenia. I spent some time just feeling her slow thrum, and shared my Preseli bluestone with her, holding it gently against her bark, and I thanked her for letting me spend that blink of time with her. My husband commented on my feeling her bark and I replied that I was quite sure she wasn't aware of me at all, as tiny and insignificant as I am. At that, she very clearly spoke to me, saying "Oh yes I am. I am very aware of you, for you are one of the few who touch me with respect and true intention."

I've never had a tree speak so clearly, and certainly never expected to speak with this one, since my entire lifetime is but an eyeblink for her and I am so very tiny at her feet.She is such a beauty, and even after thousands of years, still very much vibrant and full of life. Simply meeting her was a gift and an honour.

Edit: I will add in some photos as soon as I get them off the camera, but my avatar is of my meeting with this wise lady of the groves.
Eternal student of life
Druid of the Bardic grade

Return to “Sacred Sites”