If I could move to another Country...

A place to post stories, pictures, experiences and engage in druidic discussion of areas throughout the world that are considered to be sacred places. These may be ancient man-made structures, natural sites of great power and beauty, places of religious devotion, modern secular sites or individual private places that inspire awe and devotion.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
treegod
OBOD Druid

Re: If I could move to another Country...

Postby treegod » 14 May 2010, 22:12

I already do. I'm originally from SE England but moved to Catalonia, Spain.

I never thought I'd leave Britain, and didn't have a particular desire to move to Spain. But love and a sense of destiny moved me :grin: And here I am.

Argenta

Postby Argenta » 18 May 2010, 13:26

... I would choose one in which I could find a well-paying job.
Other important things would be that it offers freedom in terms of choosing health care, practicing religion and getting solid education.
And I'd prefer to move back to the coast, or at least somewhere hilly.
Specifically -- I have no idea where this Utopia of mine would be.
I am not young enough to know everything. (O.W.)

Eilthireach
OBOD Druid

Postby Eilthireach » 21 May 2010, 07:27

Hello all,

I live in Southern Bavaria beneath the Bavarian Alps. Lots of people from across the world spend a lot of money to be able to spend their vacations here, so it has to have something.

Nevertheless I would love to live in England!
- the weather is better
- there is more respect towards the individual human being
- there is much more openness for alternative spiritual paths

I have a dream about moving to England when I retire from professional life. I would buy a small half-timbered cottage in the Cotswolds with a little garden around it where I can sit on a bench and watch the world pass by. :grin:
There is a little village near Stratford-upon-Avon where my ideas about country life in England have materialized. It is called Welford-on-Avon.
And once a month I would go to London for book shopping. London is a book lover's dream. :cloud9:

Eilthireach, sigh ~

I wish to learn the things that are
and understand their nature
and to know God.
(Corpus Hermeticum I,3)

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 21 May 2010, 08:29

Eilthireach, that sounds like a very nice dream, hope you get it, or as close as :)

shirley mclaren
OBOD Ovate

Postby shirley mclaren » 26 May 2010, 13:32

For me I think it might be New Zealand. However, I could not really decide until I had been to "the" country and lived there for about a year, before I could decide whether to make my home there or not.

BB

Shirley
Try to live each day as if it were your last

D'Arzhur
OBOD Druid

Postby D'Arzhur » 26 May 2010, 18:02

...I would move back (after 30 years) to my country : France but this time to -bretagne (brittany)- where we have a house since 2008...beautiful nature, sea, forests, great food and very Celtic...most of all very quiet...slow living... but I would miss the Netherlands my adopted (beautiful) country and the land where my kids are growing...one of these days I guess I will have to choose...
D'Arzhur
Tradu/i\re
ImageImage
Image :daraoi: :awen:

skh
OBOD Ovate

Postby skh » 26 May 2010, 18:29

[...]
I feel the same, but I wonder if this is really true or if it's our wishes only that make us believe it.

peace /|\
Sonja
I don't think anybody ever died thinking they loved people too much, or had too much joy, or made too much music.

Corwen

Postby Corwen » 26 May 2010, 19:11

Hello all,

I live in Southern Bavaria beneath the Bavarian Alps. Lots of people from across the world spend a lot of money to be able to spend their vacations here, so it has to have something.

- the weather is better
- there is much more openness for alternative spiritual paths

I have a dream about moving to England when I retire from professional life. I would buy a small half-timbered cottage in the Cotswolds with a little garden around it where I can sit on a bench and watch the world pass by. :grin:
There is a little village near Stratford-upon-Avon where my ideas about country life in England have materialized. It is called Welford-on-Avon.
And once a month I would go to London for book shopping. London is a book lover's dream. :cloud9:

Eilthireach, sigh ~
I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but England isn't famous for its nice weather, though it may be warmer in the winter than you are used to! I doubt very much there is more respect for human beings, (the English treat each other pretty shittily as a rule like most other stressed Westerners do, in fact I'd rather be in a city in any other European country on a Saturday night as there is a real undercurrent of violence in much of the UK). However if you mean more tolerance for individual eccentricity and difference, this is probably true over Germany. There are also probably more alternative spiritual things on offer than anywhere outside the US. I don't know if that makes up for the other shortcomings, I think I'd be happy to trade a bit of eccentricity for equality and stability of a Scandinavian nation!
My Homepage, music, instrument making, articles, pilgrimage and more! http://www.ancientmusic.co.uk
My Blog: http://www.katecorwen.wordpress.com
My Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/KATEandCORWEN
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kate-Cor ... 840?ref=hl

Eilthireach
OBOD Druid

Postby Eilthireach » 28 May 2010, 07:24

Hello all,

the English weather is proverbial in Germany, which is in fact a joke because e.g. in Bavaria we have almost 6 months of winter and more and more rainy summers.

Regarding respect vs. tolerance of individual difference., I know that it makes a difference if you look at a country through the eyes of a tourist or of you live in a place long term. I have always been a tourist in Britain. Nevertheless I have to say that I had always the impression that in Britain, from a longstanding tradition of defense of individual rights, a person is more seen as a single individual with individual rights and interests etc., whereas in Germany the idea of community is more emphasized: whe, the Germans. We are pope. We will win. Etc.

Alternative spirituality: I am a frequent customer of some 'occult bookstores' in London and I am always delighted of how people treat each other in there. Greater Munich has some 2.5 million inhabitants and there is not one such store. We don't even have a decent Buddhist/meditation supplies store here. When I read 10 books, 9 will come over the internet.

And I love the English landscape, the green hills, the nice quaint medieval villages, the flocks of sheep, the old pubs... :D

Eilthireach

I wish to learn the things that are
and understand their nature
and to know God.
(Corpus Hermeticum I,3)

Tyriell_Whisperwind
OBOD Bard

Postby Tyriell_Whisperwind » 21 Jun 2010, 20:08

i just want to be in europe, here in the states theres no history and i say that loosely. as in the fact you cant walk down the street and run into a native american, atleast in europe theres history all around, Conwy Castle in wales, StoneHenge, All the beautiful architecture in Rome etc, Rolling hills of Scotland Wales and Ireland.
May Mother Nature Smile Upon You...
/|\ Tyriell Whisperwind /|\
:acornantlers: :wolf: :paw:

Argenta

Postby Argenta » 22 Jun 2010, 05:01

i just want to be in europe, here in the states theres no history and i say that loosely. as in the fact you cant walk down the street and run into a native american, atleast in europe theres history all around, Conwy Castle in wales, StoneHenge, All the beautiful architecture in Rome etc, Rolling hills of Scotland Wales and Ireland.
To me, this sounds like an American fantasy... Where I live in Europe -- though perhaps that's more East than you've had in mind -- more often than not the closest you'll get to history is no decent water system, age-old cars that hardly run, poor internet access (or none), state run according to the whims of the Church, rampant nepotism, and people living in tightly shut communities that don't welcome any outsiders or peculiarities about the insiders.

I'd say history is overrated. In terms of living conditions, it generally smacks of mould :wink: And can get pretty expensive.
I am not young enough to know everything. (O.W.)

Rebecca
OBOD Ovate

Postby Rebecca » 22 Jun 2010, 06:56

I'd stay where I am. Perhaps, someday, I would return to Alaska (where I was born and lived most of my life). Or perhaps to Eastern Washington, where the Channeled Scab Lands can take your breath away. Or to the River of No Return in the Frank Church Wilderness. Or back to the area around the Mojave River, where the heat stretches out forever. The hardwood forests of Northern Wisconsin. The great empty lands of the prairies. Maybe even to the Yukon in Canada where we spent our summers. Most likely, I would stay here, on my little acre with its garden and wild pasture and 10 little giant sequoias. Town is starting to get closer,though. I shall have to plant more sequoias!

I would love to travel to see the places from which my ancestors came. To Herefordshire, Yorkshire, Wales, and the Isle of Man. To Kent, from where my great-grandmother traveled with her parents to Michigan, USA. To Szczecin, from where my father's family comes. My husband has traveled the world - as been to the Arctic and to Antarctica and so many places in between He always told me that home was best place to be. I guess the old saying is true - home is where the heart is!
Formerly known as blodyn

Kima
OBOD Bard

Postby Kima » 22 Jun 2010, 09:41

I've seriously considered staying in SE England after spending a year there, but it didn't work out in the end. I loved the hills and the sea there but missed lakes and mountains (and proper winters)! I find that differences in landscapes create very different atmoshperes and there's definitely something to England that reminds me of a Celtic past. In Britain I have no difficulty believing in ghosts. On the other hand, Switzerland is beautiful, a great country to live in, and it is my home. It also has a celtic past (as in HELVETIC confederation) though people are less aware of it. For instance there's a stone alignment in a town where I used to live that most inhabitants do not even know about. England does have a much higher acceptance of eccentricity I find, altough it doesn't mean that equality is a given. Switzerland is more "do your thing privately but don't be too loud".

Ainevar

Postby Ainevar » 22 Aug 2010, 15:05

Well I'd love to go to Scotland or Russia. I also if I wanted to stay "local" I'd move to Canada. I love being where there is alot of open space. I love the woods and so Russia or Canada woiuld prolly be good places to go for me.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 22 Aug 2010, 15:21

For instance there's a stone alignment in a town where I used to live that most inhabitants do not even know about.
Me wandering around the back streets of Yverdon using my very worst French..."excusez moi,....ummm...ou est le....ummmm...Stones...le petite stonehenge....ummmm....l'ancienne alignment de Clendy?...ummmm...."...getting lots of shrugs and suspicious looks....finally found a woman walking her dog who spoke English and directed me to them...but you are right...there were no signs, nothing to indicate a pretty cool 5,000 year old set of stones was in the town park...happened in Carnac, too...looking for a particular menhir that was in the guidebook, and was with my wife who can actually speak French, and people 200 meters from the thing would just shrug and say they never heard of it.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Delian
OBOD Bard

Postby Delian » 30 Oct 2010, 17:57

If I could move to another country, I'd go for someplace warmer. I've grown sick tired of our nordic-6-months-a-year-ten-feet-of-snow winters with temperatures around -25/-30 Celsius (-13/-22F). And this is me being lucky because I live close to the US border, higher you go, colder it gets. So to me, any place that doesn't have such winters, or no winter at all, would be perfect. Like California in the USA or Louisana, California for being the most open-minded state in the USA and Louisana for its french past and with me having French as mother language and having french ancestry I'd fit with the place, plus I've got to admit after reading so many books by Anne Rice happening in New Orleans, it makes you want to see the place in person. But then you know I'm also open to Europe, UK per example has rather good temperature in winters compared to ours, or Italy that is so lovely, colorful and has such good food. There is also Germany, some areas are warmer than others and it's a country I've always wanted to see, I've even started to learn German.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Gwernen
OBOD Druid

Postby Gwernen » 30 Oct 2010, 18:34

Hum, I plan to go to Wales, maybe Scotland. Even if it is just a 'what will you do when you retire?' pipe-dream.

Everything here is 30 miles from my cabin, I have no health insurance, who knows what the politicians are going to do to my well-earned Social Security benefits, but foremost, there are no folk of like mind here. Just to know that there is the possibility of meeting up once in awhile with a bit more free-thinking, possibly pagan friendly folk within a few hours' drive, and not the six hours' perhaps once a year drive here, would be all I'd need. Knowing that the population even as diverse as it is still considers itself humanitarian enough to care about the health of its citizens is heart-warming. I'd want to die in the land of my ancestors, surely. There truly is something to the spirit of the Land.

Bendithion,
Gwernen

Huathe

Postby Huathe » 30 Oct 2010, 21:35

Everyone,

I would love to visit Ireland, the Scottish Highlands, Australia or New Zealand. Living at one of these places would depend on Job availability, pay and the local economy.

LadyCelt

I live in the Western North Carolina Mountains. Overall, it is a very nice place. It has beautiful forests, in places like The Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Pisgah National Forest, Nantahala National Forest and the Green River Gorge. The Blue Ridge Parkway is one of our highlights. But over the last couple of decades the Asheville metro area has really grown up, spreading like a virus into the surrounding countryside. It depresses me. Roads that were once a lazy two lanes only 15 years ago are now 4 or 5 lane highways. Development is rampant. But despite this, well paying jobs are hard to find. The Appalachian Mountain culture here is slowly dying off under the weight of area immigrants and modernization, plus so many youth could care less. Once your get away from the Asheville/Hendersonville sprawl there is some really pretty places and more area traditional people. Many Asheville locals have moved out, many to rural areas of SC to escape the Asheville sprawl.
James E Parton
Bardic Course Graduate - Ovate Student
New Order of Druids

" We all cry tears, we all bleed red "_Ronnie Dunn

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/
http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
http://www.burningman.com/

Davin Raincloud
OBOD Ovate

Postby Davin Raincloud » 30 Oct 2010, 23:22

If you guys want lots of rural landscape, Australia might be your bag.

We only have 20 million people and a lot of land. If you are willing to live in the regional areas, there are lots of beautiful places.

I would recommend South East Queensland or Northern NSW for the weather.

Stormcloud
OBOD Bard

Postby Stormcloud » 02 Nov 2010, 11:55

My problem is my experience is so limited - I've only left this island once, and so without having visited other countries, I find it hard to say where I would enjoy living! I've always wanted to visit Norway for example, but it does sound very expensive.

I love living in Cornwall, and moved down here from the Midlands 6 years ago. It is a beautiful place, and I'm happy here, but the jobs are limited, and there is still a lot of poverty. I also love snow, and yearn for proper winters - I could see myself living in Scotland some day, maybe West coast, as I really don't mind wet and windy! :-)

Return to “Sacred Sites”