Durrington (Stonehenge) roundhouse reconstructions

A place to post stories, pictures, experiences and engage in druidic discussion of areas throughout the world that are considered to be sacred places. These may be ancient man-made structures, natural sites of great power and beauty, places of religious devotion, modern secular sites or individual private places that inspire awe and devotion.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
katie bridgewater

Durrington (Stonehenge) roundhouse reconstructions

Postby katie bridgewater » 05 Feb 2013, 20:55

Those who are interested in the archaeological work surrounding Stonehenge might like to follow the reconstruction of the Durrington Roundhouses. The prototypes are underway, and will be built near Old Sarum (Salisbury). Later this year work proper begins at the new Stonehenge Visitor Centre. The centre will be incorporating reconstructions of 3 roundhouses, made and used by the builders of Stonehenge.

I am lucky enough to be working 2/3 days per week for the Ancient Technology Centre (ATC) at their Dorset education site, where we bring the past to life through recreation, learning. experimentation and tea-drinking. The ATC are responsible for the Durrington roundhouse build, so I will share any milestones here for those who would like to follow their progress. Much of the work is being undertaken by volunteers.

The project journal can be found here:

http://www.ancienttechnologycentre.co.u ... urnal.html

NB: the project, in pursuit of authenticity, necessitates the mass harvesting of many hazel trees. Please note that all the hazel trees used will regenerate, and in fact their lives will be significantly lengthened by this process. They don't die from coppicing.

If you'd like to get involved in a practical way, English Heritage (who have commissioned the project and who manage the Stonehenge World Heritage Site) are taking applications from prospective volunteers. Details here:

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/cari ... 8164923212

Art
OBOD Druid

Re: Durrington (Stonehenge) roundhouse reconstructions

Postby Art » 07 Feb 2013, 05:33

It looks like cold work but loads of fun! Please keep us in the loop as this progresses!

katie bridgewater

Postby katie bridgewater » 09 Feb 2013, 14:00

Thanks Art, I will. It's really interesting that some of the work will be done with historical tools, too. Last week, as part of a different Bronze Age roundhouse build at a school, I was working with children to fell trees from around around bronze age barrow. Clearing the barrow will help preserve the archaology beneath it and the trees we cut will be used to build the roundhouse. We used bronze axes for the job and it was a wonderful and engaging way to help them imagine the life of their ancestors.
I hope more people from the Druid community will decide to get involved at Durrington, as it's a one-off opportunity to get a deep insight into the Neolithic and early Bronze age culture of Britain, and up close and personal with the history of the Stonehenge area.

envisager

Postby envisager » 12 Feb 2013, 12:16

This is a great project. Good luck with it Katie.

Return to “Sacred Sites”