Glastonbury Thorn

A place to post stories, pictures, experiences and engage in druidic discussion of areas throughout the world that are considered to be sacred places. These may be ancient man-made structures, natural sites of great power and beauty, places of religious devotion, modern secular sites or individual private places that inspire awe and devotion.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Glastonbury Thorn

Postby Fitheach » 15 Jun 2013, 14:58

I just read this on Facebook:

"It is no longer "sad news" to hear that the replacement Glastonbury Thorn trees have been vandalised again, but rather it is totally disgusting.

"It's with heavy hearts that we have to report that the Glastonbury Thorn World Tree, the first descendant of the iconic tree that stood on Wearyall Hill has been destroyed. The tree was grown from cuttings from the one vandalised in 2010 and nurtured by the Royal Botanical Gardens at Kew. It was found broken off at the stem today. It is not clear when it happened as the stem had been pushed back into the ground, though the police say the leaves look as though it could only be a matter of a few days.
The tree was watched over by CCTV so records will be checked over the next few days.

"We also have to report that the other Glastonbury Holy Thorn planted in the same area 18 months ago seems to have 'suddenly died' and all the leaves have turned brown despite having looked splendid a couple of weeks ago. This thorn, though not a descendant of the Wearyall Thorn is still of the lineage.

"If anyone has any information, please contact either the PRC or the police."

As Druids, I hope we can do something about this. My idea is that if there are still cuttings, plant them all over Wearyall Hill. And when they are mature, take more cuttings, and they can be offered as Peace Trees all over the world, espeically places of worship (churches, mosques, synagogues, temples, groves, etc.) to represent peace between religions.
Tha gliocas an ceann an fhitich
Image Image Image

hodekin

Re: Glastonbury Thorn

Postby hodekin » 24 Jul 2013, 16:17

I have recently returned from a short holiday in Glastonbury, and there is a Thorn Tree 'quite mature' growing in the grounds of Glastonbury Abbey, I'm pretty sure that it is from the original on Wearyall Hill, but this needs to be checked out!

If it is from the Wearyall tree, then cuttings from this one can perhaps be taken to replace the ones vandalised.

Can anyone find out?

Hodekin

Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Postby Fitheach » 24 Jul 2013, 20:24

I believe you're right. In fact, I've heard that several of the thorns in Glastonbury are from the original Levantine Hawthorn, including the ones planted on the grounds of the Chalice Well.
Image Image Image

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 24 Jul 2013, 20:45

I think that you're quite right there, a number of cuttings have been taken. So, there are several options for replacement.

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 24 Jul 2013, 20:58

I'll volunteer my horticultural skills if someone can get me legitimate access to one of the remaining live thorns. I'd continually propagate as many as possible. I'm a professional gardener and have everything I need, as well as the space. How about a network of propagators?
S
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Postby Fitheach » 26 Jul 2013, 04:36

I don't know who is in charge of the flora on Wearyall Hill, where the original hawthorn was planted (and recently destroyed). But you might want to contact the people at the Chalice Well Gardens and see if there's anything you can do. They at least may be able to refer you to someone who knows more about the sacred thorn tree.
Image Image Image

hodekin

Postby hodekin » 26 Jul 2013, 08:20

Also, Glastonbury Abbey has a Head Grounds man/Gardner....I'm sure contact with him/her would prove beneficial in obtaining cuttings.

Hodekin

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 26 Jul 2013, 09:50

Thanks, both of you.
It was found broken off at the stem today
I'll contact Kew as well and see if they kept live material, they do things like that and the situation may be in hand. The broken off stem... I'll bet there will be yard long new growths growing from that this time next year, whitethorn is a great regenerator. But there needs to be physical protection, clearly.

On the subject of tree damage, the Ankerwyke yew has taken a beating recently, bark has been smashed off at the base in two places, and deadwood variously broken and sawn off - strangely at the same time or just after a lot of (those annoying) ritual offerings were made at the super moon. I do hope this wasn't Pagan-wrought harm to this extremely ancient yew.
S
Attachments
Anker damage 1.JPG
Anker damage 1.JPG (36.81 KiB) Viewed 4769 times
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

hodekin

Postby hodekin » 26 Jul 2013, 10:03

And I have contacted The Chalice Well gardens as well as Glastonbury Abbey, if I get a positive response from either one I'll post it here!

Hodekin

Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Postby Whitemane » 26 Jul 2013, 12:27

On the subject of tree damage, the Ankerwyke yew has taken a beating recently, bark has been smashed off at the base in two places, and deadwood variously broken and sawn off - strangely at the same time or just after a lot of (those annoying) ritual offerings were made at the super moon. I do hope this wasn't Pagan-wrought harm to this extremely ancient yew.
S
More worrying might be Christian extremists, I don't know if you're getting the same sort of pushback from the fundamentalists as is seen in the US, but I would be concerned. However, I suspect a bunch of drunks as the most likely cause.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

hodekin

Postby hodekin » 01 Aug 2013, 15:57

Success! :old:

This message is mainly for Sciethe, I have today received the following message from the Administrator at Glastonbury Abbey.

Please accept our apologies for the delay in replying to you.

I have spoken to both our Management and Grounds teams and they have said that they would have no objection for up to half a dozen cuttings being taken from the Holy Thorn, although ‘Son of Thorn’ (the younger tree) would probably give better material.

Also, you would need to bear in mind that the trees are normally grafted onto common Hawthorn rootstocks as we gather that they are difficult to root as just ordinary cuttings.

It will be down to our Grounds team to do any cutting necessary from our trees, rather than give permission for anyone outside the Abbey to do this, which I am sure you will understand.

Would you therefore please contact me to arrange a meeting with Mark King or Jane Bentley, in order to organise a suitable time for the cuttings to be taken?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

I have the necessary contact details so if you are able 'Sciethe' to get along to Glastonbury you could get up to half a dozen cuttings to work with.

Contact me on hodekin@aol.com and I will pass on the details.

in Faith

Hodekin

Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Postby Whitemane » 01 Aug 2013, 16:58

Great news :applause: and best wishes for the project.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 01 Aug 2013, 17:51

Success! :old:

I have the necessary contact details so if you are able 'Sciethe' to get along to Glastonbury you could get up to half a dozen cuttings to work with.
Utterly stunning. Thank you Hodekin. I will prepare some thorn stocks for the grafting, luckily I have some to hand. That will happen Wednesday after next at the latest. In the meantime I'll get my time organised for a day trip to Glastonbury! :grin: :grin: :grin:

This could be the start of something very good.
Sciethe

Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Postby Fitheach » 01 Aug 2013, 18:35

This is incredible news :yay: ! Thank you so much for taking this on!!!!!
Image Image Image

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 01 Aug 2013, 23:09

This is incredible news :yay: ! Thank you so much for taking this on!!!!!
It's a great privilege indeed to be involved, and thanks to Hodekin we should be able to make a start very soon. However, there's a long way to go, and lots of careful work to do - don't hold your breath! :)
:shake:
S

hodekin

Postby hodekin » 02 Aug 2013, 07:50

OK!

Sciethe and I have now been in contact and all the relevant details have been passed on.

Well folks, between us it looks like we have started to actively do something about this problem, but lets give our full praise and support for Sciethe who really has all the hard work to do from here on.

In Faith

Hodekin

Menevengiel
OBOD Bard

Postby Menevengiel » 02 Aug 2013, 12:58

Absolutely wonderful work to BOTH of you, and please keep us all updated. The responses you received for cuttings was shocking actually. I don't think that here in the states, ANY such positive reaction would occur. I would hope I am wrong, but I think here those in charge would respond that any FURTHER cuttings would not be a wise idea and that they would handle it all, "but thanks for your concern.". It's not about the tree or the history here it's about who gets to be in charge. I am delighted that it turned out the way it did.

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 02 Aug 2013, 16:10

Dear all,
Update: my favourite tree and shrub nursery have kindly donated some young whitethorns suitable for grafting stocks, much better than the ones I have. The only cost was the compost to put them in (a tenner) which is great news. I therefore hastily did hie me to the self-same emporium of green stuff and got potting. The pots were a donation from the nursery too.

I now have 14 young trees at home where I can watch them closely and grow them on in large pots over the rest of the summer so that they'll hopefully be in good condition to take the grafts from the Holy Thorn really well. The sort of grafting I have in mind is usually (and best) done in late winter and early spring, so a visit to Glastonbury to collect material will most probably have to be organised for about six months time. This is an opportunity: perfect preparation is essential. I did say don't hold your breath!
:seasons:
Blessings,
Sciethe

hodekin

Postby hodekin » 02 Aug 2013, 17:37

That's no problem Sciethe,

The mere fact that we have the 14 White thorns, the Glastonbury cuttings when required and YOU, is good enough!

We all realise that these things take time, but to actually get the ball rolling on something that is potentially this important is a victory in itself.
As time progresses, I'm sure you will pass on updates via this thread and we will all be happy.

Well done everyone who contributed to this thread.....we all played our part, it's over to Sciethe now! :shake:

Hodekin

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 23 Aug 2013, 19:30

Hi Sacred Thorn people, a small update.

Now that I've worked out my method I have been able to write to Chalice Well to arrange a date for cuttings to be taken. It will have to be in the new year to get the cutting material at the right dormancy stage/ ripeness. I will be documenting the method and results in detail for any interested horticulturalists among you. I do hope it doesn't turn out to be a "how not to" document!

My potted thorns have started sprouting again after an "I've had my roots disturbed in hot weather" group sulk, and soon they will be happy little trees again. :)

So far so good.
S

Return to “Sacred Sites”