The Well Revolution

A place to post stories, pictures, experiences and engage in druidic discussion of areas throughout the world that are considered to be sacred places. These may be ancient man-made structures, natural sites of great power and beauty, places of religious devotion, modern secular sites or individual private places that inspire awe and devotion.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

The Well Revolution

Postby ShadowCat » 19 Sep 2013, 06:01

Sacred Wells are found all around the world.

About a year and a half ago a group of Facebookfriends from different spiritual backgrounds started a dutch Facebookgroup "The Well Revolution" (Bronrevolutie). It's goal is for the now well over one hundred members to go and find out about historical wells in their own towns. Searching archives, finding out what happened to the wells (some are rerouted into sewers, others just in disrepair), and finding out local lore about them.

Another step is to start honouring them again, by clearing, cleaning and supplying maintance, mostly on a guerilla-basis, although some have taken the steps to get in touch with the local authorities, media etc to get a more mainstream reinstatement of the old wells and springs. Responsible (non-toxic/non-poluting/biodegradable) offerings are made. On the group photo's, locations and experiences are shared. It has already spread from the Netherlands to most of mainland Europe, with people continuing their quests on holidays and while away for work. Wells are also reconnected by carrieing water from one well to another and exchanging waters, creating a web of interconnected wells. The Glastonbury Wells, being very prominent, are also already included in this "web of wells". It's also expanding to streams, rivers, ponds, and the Northsea (with a special place for the Dutch godess Nehalennia as mother of the sea).

I think it's a beautiful initiative and could be taken wider when people in the Druid tradition all over the world start working with wells and water in this way. Maybe there are already other initiatives too in your area's. I would like to hear your thoughts and feelings about it.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Re: The Well Revolution

Postby Heddwen » 19 Sep 2013, 12:13

Hi Shadowcat, a few years ago I attended a Goddess conference in Glastonbury. The theme of the conference was the triple Goddess, Brigid. Of course, her wells were covered as part of her history and story. One of the guest speakers there was Rae Beth, the witch and author of 'Hedgewitch'. She spoke about the importance of wells, of keeping them cleared and free of debris and of honouring them. This inspired me on returning home to care for the well that exists at home on the farm here. So nowadays I honour and pay my respects to the well as a sacred site.

I will check out the facebook site that you mentioned, it sounds very inspirational.

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 19 Sep 2013, 13:34

the songs of one's heart

Sacred spaces and places

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 19 Sep 2013, 13:37

Its wonderful to be able to care for a well, especially on your own property.

Has this practice changed the way thing feel around the well for you?
the songs of one's heart

Sacred spaces and places

Fire oak
OBOD Ovate

Postby Fire oak » 19 Sep 2013, 14:24

I live in Ireland and we have wells everywhere. Some have been 'taken over' and have paving and statues, others are still in their natural state.
Fire Oak

ImageImage

Return to “Sacred Sites”