Druid meditation

A place to post stories, pictures, experiences and engage in druidic discussion of areas throughout the world that are considered to be sacred places. These may be ancient man-made structures, natural sites of great power and beauty, places of religious devotion, modern secular sites or individual private places that inspire awe and devotion.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
TheMopPetal2

Druid meditation

Postby TheMopPetal2 » 11 Feb 2014, 23:12

I work at a pretty stressful job and lately I've been getting anxiety/pannic attacks so i was wondering if anyone knows of any good beginner meditation techniques I can start doing on a daily basis to relieve stress and anxiety?

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Re: Druid meditation

Postby Aphritha » 11 Feb 2014, 23:30

I used to get panic attacks alot. I think all meditation in general will help some, though different things are going to work for different people. I remember doing progressive muscle relaxation: its where you start at your head, tensing each group of muscles for 5 seconds, and releasing(ex.: facial, neck, shoulders, stomach, etc). Just keep moving on down until all groups are covered.
Something that worked for me if I felt like I was on the verge of attack is walking. Panic attacks come from our 'fight or flight' response to what it perceives as danger. Unfortunately, its not always able to distinguish between a real threat or a imagined one, and the response kicks in, causing an adrenaline boost. Well, if you're sitting around, all that adrenaline can become real inconvenient. I always went with it and let my body 'run away', since that's what it wanted to do anyways. I found once my body caught up with itself, I calmed down, and was able to get back on track. You could very easily make a walking meditation out of this. :) If you're in a place where you can't leave for a walk, try doing the most strenuous tasks you can to burn energy that way, though it'd be harder to meditate through that.
Good luck; panic attacks are nasty things.

Crinia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Crinia » 12 Feb 2014, 05:08

Hello MopPetal

I use The Meditation Podcast By Jessie and Jeane Stern (available on itunes as a podcast for free download) There is a selection of meditations and they have a binaural beat (if you wear headphones) which for me increases my ability to relax during an anxiety attack.

I regularly use Sacred Medatation by Phillip Carr-Gomm. These meditations are good to help you relax enough to fall asleep if you wake anxious during the night.

There are also some good meditations on Sounds True website http://www.soundstrue.com/shop/welcome some of which are free. My favourite from here is the Start Within - Unleashing the potential of your day keep an eye on the free gift list http://www.soundstrue.com/email/?select ... mailsignup. The best meditation for me is called Yoga Relaxation for Rejuvenation and Healing{/i] - Shiva Rea. This meditation has the muscle relaxation component that Aphritha mentions below plus a chakra cleaning.

I use meditations from Wynyfryds Meditation Room. They are simple but great because they have a strong Druid flavour to them.They have a lot of love behind them (Wynyfryd wrote the meditations for her father whilst he was in hospital). I have not found them online these days but I have a copy of them on my computer. Anne http://anneisaman.blogspot.com.au/2007/ ... -room.html corresponded with Wynyfryd so he may be able to provide contact details or may also have a copy of the podcast.

I wish you the best in your meditation.

Crinia
Gun Toiseach - Gun Crioch

Alwin
OBOD Druid

Postby Alwin » 12 Feb 2014, 20:12

Take care of a well balanced diet! In stressful times it's very important to keep an eye on that. This helps in my case to reduce the stress level to a certain degree.

Best wishes!
Alwin
2013 SB I • 2013 SB II • 2014 IL I • 2014 IL II • 2014 BS • 2015 BS I • 2015 BS II • 2015 SB • 2016 SB • 2017 BS
--
www.Lichtspur.ch
www.artflakes.com/de/shop/lichtspur

Reuils
OBOD Bard

Postby Reuils » 13 Feb 2014, 20:06

Try a book called "How to Meditate" by Kathleen McDonald, excellent techniques for a beginner

Return to “Sacred Sites”