Sacred space on my farm

A place to post stories, pictures, experiences and engage in druidic discussion of areas throughout the world that are considered to be sacred places. These may be ancient man-made structures, natural sites of great power and beauty, places of religious devotion, modern secular sites or individual private places that inspire awe and devotion.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
tinywv
OBOD Bard

Sacred space on my farm

Postby tinywv » 01 Feb 2015, 04:00

I also posted this in General Discussion since I wasn't sure where to put it.

I'm a new member studying the Bardic gwersi and being new, I'm not sure where to post this but this forum seemed fitting.

I have a space on my property that could be a sacred space for me. A small rise surrounded by a spring on one side and a creek on the other (Danu calls to me so this is quite an important part of the space). The rise has a few trees of all sizes on it and one that has a cut off stump at its base that looks to be a perfect natural altar. The western entrance would come down a steep bank next to an ancient Beech tree. The rise is almost round in shape and is private and secluded.

My question concerns some of the smaller (less than 2-3" in diameter) trees. Some of them might have to be removed to make the space more open. I have VERY mixed feelings about this and really don't know exactly what to do. If I wish to make this a sacred space the removal of small trees gives me pause. I know it would be good for the larger trees to have less competition for resources. The smaller ones also won't have an easy time in the shade of their elders. Any tree I take down would be replaced elsewhere on my property with another.

How do you all feel about this? Is replanting trees to replace the small ones a viable means of opening the space? I'd love to hear some opinions.

Happy Imbolc to all!
Last edited by tinywv on 01 Feb 2015, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
Be well, do good works, and may harmony find you.

elementalheart
OBOD Druid

Re: Sacred space on my farm

Postby elementalheart » 01 Feb 2015, 10:37

Personally I would try working with the space just as it is rather than rushing to fell trees and make it look a particular way you think would be more perfect and sacred by a defined criteria. Especially since you sound uncomfortable with the prospect.

Nature has more to offer than perfection, particularly on this path. My guess is that you will find the trees you currently think of as wrongly placed will be your best teachers on the path. Every time you find one in your way it will likely reflect some barrier internally in your process, something you wish was simply not there, or a creative spark like the grit that becomes the seed of a pearl.

As I say that's my personal take on it, you will do what's right for you if you follow that gut instinct rather than a book or picture of 'oughts'. Your sense of regret to come suggests the approach I offered. Felling trees is a one time choice that can always be made but never changed after.

You might also look up the type of trees they are and the traditional meaning ascribed to them. That might also give you a sense that of why they are coming to attention in this way.
Image Image 2013BS 2013LI 2013SB 2014IL 2014LI

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 02 Feb 2015, 14:35

Well I suppose it depends upon what you mean by remove!
I would look at the health of these saplings individually and work out which can be moved to another spot and which can be removed permanently. Damaged, weak or diseased saplings should be removed for the health of the other trees.
If you are going to cut some down, think about what you will do with the wood? Is there use for it elsewhere on this or another project?
If they are young trees near an old tree that my be naturally felled soon it maybe better to leave them where they are or, if the right type of trees they could be pruned to woven together to create living architecture.
try working with the space just as it is

agreed, don't rush in. Understand the space and the flora and fauna with it.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

tinywv
OBOD Bard

Postby tinywv » 02 Feb 2015, 22:08

I spent a couple of hours in the space yesterday and had a chance to feel things and get a better sense of the space. After spending some time cleaning it up and looking at the trees carefully, most of the very small ones scattered around the middle of the space are compromised in one way or another. A few had large wounds, one was almost girdled by deer rubs, and some were already beginning to hollow out or were already dead (hard to tell at first this time of year). I left anything healthy and remotely viable and will work around them. As spring rolls on I'll check the ones I left and remove any that already gone.

I hadn't intended to take out anything of any size. Everything I did remove was in the 1" - 2" size. I don't know if I can use any of them for another project at this point. The standing dead wood I removed with be dried out and used for fires. Overall, it was a great learning experience for me to spend more time in a place and get an even better feel for what is going on there.

Thanks for the input1

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 03 Feb 2015, 11:56

I don't know if I can use any of them for another project at this point.
You can just create a wood stack, it's the perfect home for insects such as beetles and all sorts of other creepy crawly things which help improve the whole ecosystem.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

tinywv
OBOD Bard

Postby tinywv » 04 Feb 2015, 05:01

They're already stacked. That was step one of the clean up. I have three small stacks right now but if I combine them I'd have a good size for a bird hiding spot and other critters. Between the woods around the area, the creeks, and the field across the main creek I have great fringe habitat for a good variety of species all year round. They love that little safe zone when they transition from the woods to the field.

They could potentially be used as staves but they're not very thick and would be fragile. If nothing else I can use them for firewood as I spend more time out there on the upcoming holidays. Thanks for all the input!

Return to “Sacred Sites”