Helpful hints/Gardening Tips

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Keesh

Re: Helpful hints/Gardening Tips

Postby Keesh » 19 Jun 2009, 00:12

Does anyone have some tips on Environmentally friendly weed deterrents?
"An eye for an eye, leaves everyone blind." - Ghandi

Image Image Click click click!

Blaiddwen
Location: I am in the varied shapes of the landscape, I am in the scents of the season's changing

Postby Blaiddwen » 04 Jul 2010, 15:22

After establishing my rows, before I put down mulch, I lay landscape fabric over the garden, this keeps the weeds down and helps with moisture retention.
I found a pretty good tip on the web one day for tomato plants, prune the leaves every now and then. Leaves use up alot of the plant's energy, pruning the larger leaves, and some of the suckers, will allow the plant to grow thicker, stronger, and bear more fruit. We planted our garden 6 or 7 weeks ago, and we have tomato plants up to our chins :grin: , one of them currently has 11 tomatos on the vine, total tomatos on vine today is 79.
We also planted marigolds in and around the garden, they keep the rabbits out of the garden while they attract bees and butterflies. The birds and bees are doing a pretty good job of keeping unwanted insects at bay, as are a couple of spiders.
If one life is lost in combat of war, then all lives are lost to indifference.

Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Postby Whitemane » 13 Aug 2012, 00:52

Another useful technique is solarization. This is good for preparing a planting area or weed control in brick paths and patios.

Cover the area in something black, such as a tarpaulin or black plastic drop cloth. Weight it down thoroughly, and wait for a few days of sunshine. The solar heating bakes the soil, killing most weeds without the use of herbicides.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Re: Re:

Postby Whitemane » 13 Aug 2012, 14:28

The use of cat and dog poo in compost is questionable. The trouble is that various bugs and other nasties can be transmitted into the compost from pets, that then don't die in the compost because it doesn't heat up sufficiently.
Yes, I have heard that before, but in general, if you have animals in the house, you are already exposed to whatever bugs and worms are around. The main concern for pregnant women is toxoplasmosis, which is transmitted not only by the litter. Therefore, any woman living with a cat is generally exposed if the cat is infected. As for worms: My cats are wormed regularly, so I know they are okay, and I have no problem with using their litter in my garden. If that is a worry - there are so many cats in the neighbourhood that use the gardn as a litter box anyway, so all veggies must be thoroughly cleaned.

Just be careful in general...
Rabbit droppings are a brilliant fertilizer. High nitrogen and slow-release as nature intended. You can also make an infusion from them (rabbit tea) that can be used as a quick nitrogen application. We kept house bunnies for many years, and they contributed greatly to our garden.
All love surround you,
Guide your way on.

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 13 Aug 2012, 15:22

I've got goats and chicken, which produce very good compost.

Have to be careful with the chicken poop though. It can be too potent for the garden. Everyday I take them compost, and put it in a container of four palletes. When it gets fairly full we take what's on top and put it elsewhere, where we start a new compost pile. The stuff at the bottom is well composted and ready to be used for the garden. It's also where we put all the coop bedding, and grass cuttings.

For the question at the top of this page (despite it being from 2009) mulch is very good. Just put it around the base of what's already growing there. This also helps retain moisture (very useful here in Spain), protects the soil and give it some nutrients too. Weeds that grow up can be uprooted and put directly back on the soil where they were, so becoming part of the mulch. There might be some plants for which this isn't advisable (if they're very invasive)

RedSky
Deceased

Postby RedSky » 14 Aug 2012, 01:00

everything sounds good above. if it is just a few or rather for localized spots, a strong vinegar solution caN HELP. We have mucky clay soil here and pulling weeds is nearly impossible except in the garden beds. in the beds a small hoe can help cut them off under ground but those tend to return. some folks her use a propane torch, conditions permitting. I have resorted to digging patches out but I don't relish that task.

bill

Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Postby Whitemane » 14 Aug 2012, 17:05

everything sounds good above. if it is just a few or rather for localized spots, a strong vinegar solution caN HELP. We have mucky clay soil here and pulling weeds is nearly impossible except in the garden beds. in the beds a small hoe can help cut them off under ground but those tend to return. some folks her use a propane torch, conditions permitting. I have resorted to digging patches out but I don't relish that task.

bill
You can break up clay soils by digging in wood ash. I'd have to check the quantities, but if you grill or barbecue regularly, or use a wood-burning fireplace, save the ash and dig it in to the soil. Apparently, the ash components lower the zeta potential that causes the clay to clump.
All love surround you,
Guide your way on.

RedSky
Deceased

Postby RedSky » 14 Aug 2012, 23:50

Thanks! I'll give it a try next patch I clear.

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 13 Mar 2014, 22:09

I guess ill wake this old post up,,I use lots of leaves and pine needles to keep the weeds down as well as low shrubs like blueberries or ferns and im not fond of plastics or chemicals,,A bug spot on my veggies is not a bad thing,,I see more birds now the last 4 years than ever,,I also use long trees staked to the bank to slow erosion and hold plants until ground cover is established
Through my eyes you still see,, Through my heart you still live ,, For as long as i have breath you will sing,,Thanks Mom

Reuils
OBOD Bard

Postby Reuils » 26 Jan 2016, 10:35

I was able to use all the cartons from our house move under a layer of leaf mold and compost.......this is my first year at trying a "permaculture " based garden ,let you know how it goes.

You may find Bealtaine Cottage blog an interesting read ,it's how one woman turned 3 acres of Irish bog land into a wonderful garden ,it's taken her 12 years

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 26 Jan 2016, 17:36

I saw some off the grid ppl using branches limbs and rotten logs,, they dug a trench 4 inches deeper than the woody limbs and logs and just buried them,,the were thinking the limbs and stuff would rot and make air spaces in the soil,,,less work than a mulch pile,, plants looked good
Through my eyes you still see,, Through my heart you still live ,, For as long as i have breath you will sing,,Thanks Mom

Return to “Greening Gaia”